CRANK SAVER!

Old May 20th 05, 08:44 PM

Default CRANK SAVER!

Is your crank loose? When you look at your spindle! Does it stick out
beyond the crank's outer surface? Will your crank nut or allen screw
never butt up against the crank surface again? Have you screwed up your
crank good? Is your crank now shot caws it won't tighten up no
longer? Is this what's bother you buddy? Or did you scratch your
colnago yesterday?
Well we have the answer!! Can you walk and chew gum? THEN LOOK NO
FURTHER!
Soda can aluminum. Yup!
Cut an aluminuminuminum rectangle outta your favorite sugar water
beverage container using a razor blade(preferably some else's razor
blade) and not severing veins on the wrist then using scissors (
mom's or wife's best available off course) cut four no make that
seven or so strips that'll fit on top the spindle flats. Clean
spindle. Inspect and File burrs offen crank's insides. The damage
youn done may have gone and produces some irregularity in there but
just remove the burrs that'll keep the spindle from gaining entry or
fully sliding through-don't worry about the unevenness caws by the
loose crank rolling around in there while you were standing on the
loose crank like a brain addled moron-the strips should even this
out-you hope.
Coat spindle with antiseize-we're using copper anti at this time but
that's another story-teflon may be appropriate here-we hear its real
sticky? and allow to dry a few munites in hot sun soas its sticky and
can grip the aluminuminum strips.
Do not bend the aluminuminum strips or mutilate edges when cutting-a
prime factor here is the strips gotta lay flat on the spindle.
Spit the gum out.
Place the strips on the spindle. FOUR (4) Strips need stick out in
front soas when you carefully slide the crank onto the spindle, enough
front strip will allow for binding and strip sliding toward the rear to
the BB due to friction. I guess.
Push the spindle on oopppps push the crank on tight then cut the excess
strip material off the front where the nut or allen screw will go.
Screw the assembly together. Tight. Our expert recommends (as we
can't find our torque wrench) a medium long hex key with a normal
length seat tube as bar then press down on it your weight-torso
weight-keep the feet on ground.
Cut the rear strip excess off.
This seems to work ok. I assume if you still but up against the spindle
with your nuts or screws, two layers may go for a fix.
loctite screws or nut after thorough thread cleaning-allow to harden
overnite

Old May 21st 05, 07:58 PM

right!!
and ifn your lucky to have allen screws in the spindle ( biketoolsect
and loose screws have more) put some JB epoxy in those holes-
this will prevent crank wear 100%
alos buy exyra 8mm washers for the screws and bolts?
now while you remember-fasten with acco paperclips

ultegra octalink: tick Tick TICK TICK TICK! H. Guy Techniques 44 February 2nd 05 01:56 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Splined hub and crank maintainence gerblefranklin Unicycling 14 April 16th 04 12:32 AM
Adjustable crank idea onewheeldave Unicycling 93 February 13th 04 10:34 PM