What's the point of tubular tires?

Old June 19th 04, 02:56 AM
Bruce W.1

Default What's the point of tubular tires?

I used to ride on tubular tires, sew-ups, whatever you want to call
them. This was because clinchers did not have an equivalent pressure.

About ten years ago I swapped my rims for clichers when they offered the
same pressure. And I've been happy ever since. No, I've been totally
delighted. I used to average one tubular blown per ride. I've never
had a clicher flat, well maybe once.

So I see tubular tires are still in stores today. Why do they still
sell these things? They do seem to have more colors.

Don't the Tour de France guys ride clinchers?

Thanks for your help.
Old June 19th 04, 03:26 AM
Peter

Bruce W.1 wrote:

I used to ride on tubular tires, sew-ups, whatever you want to call
them. This was because clinchers did not have an equivalent pressure.

When was that? Narrow rims and narrow high-pressure clinchers were
introduced about 30 years ago.

About ten years ago I swapped my rims for clichers when they offered the
same pressure. And I've been happy ever since. No, I've been totally
delighted. I used to average one tubular blown per ride. I've never
had a clicher flat, well maybe once.

To what do you ascribe this difference? Tubulars should be subject to
about the same number of flats as lightweight clinchers due to sharp
objects (glass, thorns, etc.) and much less likely to have pinch
(snake-bite) flats. My experience was that I had slightly more flats
after switching to clinchers but they were so much easier to patch that
the trade-off was still worthwhile.

So I see tubular tires are still in stores today. Why do they still
sell these things?

Presumably because people still buy them. But I'd expect it to be a
very small percentage of total bike tire sales.

Old June 19th 04, 03:49 AM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:56:24 -0400, "Bruce W.1"
wrote:

I used to ride on tubular tires, sew-ups, whatever you want to call
them. This was because clinchers did not have an equivalent pressure.

About ten years ago I swapped my rims for clichers when they offered the
same pressure. And I've been happy ever since. No, I've been totally
delighted. I used to average one tubular blown per ride. I've never
had a clicher flat, well maybe once.

So I see tubular tires are still in stores today. Why do they still
sell these things? They do seem to have more colors.

Don't the Tour de France guys ride clinchers?

Thanks for your help.

Dear Bruce,

A similar question about tubular use was recently raised and
thrashed to death in 114 posts:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D1

or

http://tinyurl.com/2qceh

As I recall, no one ever offered any convincing evidence
about what percentage of the European pro riders use
clinchers after Mike Krueger started wild arguments by
observing:

Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that
80% of the European pro peloton still races on tubular
tires. So much for the naysayers...

I may have missed some convincing post or link for or
against this 80% figure, so it would be nice if anyone would
rub my curious nose in the facts.

Carl Fogel
Old June 19th 04, 03:57 AM
S o r n i

It is 16% more fun to say "tubular" than "clincher".

Bill "anyone invent a clinchular?" S.

Old June 19th 04, 05:04 AM
Phil Brown

Bill "anyone invent a clinchular?" S.

Clement had one. Tufo, too, I Think.
Phil Brown
Old June 19th 04, 06:24 AM
Werehatrack

wrote:

So I see tubular tires are still in stores today. Why do they still
sell these things?

Because there are still people who will buy them, for whatever reason.

They do seem to have more colors.

Yes, although the color selections in clinchers are even greater in
most cases.

Don't the Tour de France guys ride clinchers?

They ride whatever they either like, or get handed by their backer.
The Big Name Riders probably get to dictate the choice; the
barely-competitive types probably take what they're given. It would
not surprise me if some of the competitors have both types in their
spares kit.
Old June 19th 04, 02:06 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

BW- About ten years ago I swapped my rims for clichers when they offered the
same pressure. And I've been happy ever since. No, I've been totally
delighted. I used to average one tubular blown per ride. I've never
had a clicher flat, well maybe once.

So I see tubular tires are still in stores today. Why do they still
sell these things? They do seem to have more colors.

Don't the Tour de France guys ride clinchers? BRBR

Well, after I tied and soldered my wheels, adjusted my Delta brakes, cleaned
the grease off my BB spindle taper, I think I'll jump in here.

'Clinchers offering the same pressure?'
'Blown tubie each ride?'

Yikes. Tubulars, in my personal experience but also subjective view, are a
lighter 'package, rim and tires, are more comfy since you don't have to put
120psi in them to prevent pinch flats(see above by BW-??), are safer cuz if
glued on properly, won't roll off a rim if flatted and I think corner better
since they are a profile that lends itself to hard cornering.

I get few flats, maybe a couple per year. Tubies, all things equal, will get
fewer since you get few(no) pinch flats.

I think the only advantage of clinchers is that you can repair them on the
road.

As for TdF-see advatages above. More than 1/2 are sponsored by tubie tire
makers. Since they don't have to put up with the 'gluing' issue or changing
issue, they use tubulars for the reasons stated above. Plus oohhh so many are
opting for all carbon rims, which lend themselves to tubulars, not clinchers.

if you got a bunch of flats with tubies and needed a tire with lots of
pressure, I think you missed the boat as to their 'advantages'. But if you are
happy with clinchers, groovy-now go ride.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old June 19th 04, 02:38 PM
Jay Hill

Bruce W.1 wrote:

Thanks for your help.

troll

Old June 19th 04, 03:42 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Bruce W.1 wrote:
I used to ride on tubular tires, sew-ups, whatever you want to call
them. This was because clinchers did not have an equivalent pressure.

About ten years ago I swapped my rims for clichers when they offered the
same pressure. And I've been happy ever since. No, I've been totally
delighted. I used to average one tubular blown per ride. I've never
had a clicher flat, well maybe once.

So I see tubular tires are still in stores today. Why do they still
sell these things? They do seem to have more colors.

Most trackies still use them because they stay on the rim in the event
of a puncture. However, punctures on an indoor track are extremely rare
and a tight clincher will also stay on the rim. Tubulars are not
compulsory on British tracks, anyway.

The rolling resistance gap has been closed, and cheap clinchers are
quite rideable - on the other hand, only the best (i.e. expensive)
tubulars are worth having as the cheap ones can be lumpy and badly made.