Unusual "cycle lanes" on a local road.

Old July 22nd 11, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Unusual "cycle lanes" on a local road.

A local country road which has seen many accidents over the years gets
a makeover with an unusual outcome.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...ail/story.html

--
Simon Mason
Old July 22nd 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...-confusing-roa...

--
Simon Mason

I have seen this configuration in the Netherlands, albeit usually in
urban areas; as I understand their use over there, motorists are free
to use them but if they come up behind a bike they need to pull
completely out of the lane to overtake; obviously they can't do this
if there's a vehicle coming the other way. There are similar ones in
Exeter, but those ones are maked as cycle lanes.

In this country the fact that the lines are dotted should make it
clear to motorists that they can use the lane if there's no bike in
it. If the markings serve to remind motorists to leave plenty of
space when overtaking cyclists, then well and good; however, maybe a
user guide would help. Is there anything in the HC about this sort of
thing?
Old July 22nd 11, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jul 22, 1:21*pm, al Mossah wrote:
On Jul 22, 12:40*pm, Simon Mason wrote:

A local country road which has seen many accidents over the years gets
a makeover with an unusual outcome.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...-confusing-roa...

I have seen this configuration in the Netherlands, albeit usually in
urban areas; as I understand their use over there, motorists are free
to use them but if they come up behind a bike they need to pull
completely out of the lane to overtake.

Yes, they are usually on bricked "cobbled" streets with maybe a
different camber on the inside "lane".
Sometimes in conjunction with speed tables.

--
Simon Mason
Old July 22nd 11, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Hill

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 04:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

A local country road which has seen many accidents over the years gets
a makeover with an unusual outcome.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...ail/story.html

It's clear from the visible potholes that the council has decided to
cease maintaining the full width of the highway. So has defined a new
narrower lane that they may try to maintain free of potholes while the
rest goes to pot. Bugger the head on collisions that it causes.

The dotted lines are different. Derbyshire use solid lines with a
6"-1ft wide cycle lane that has the potholes in it.
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Old July 22nd 11, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

This comment seem to agree with my experience of selfish drivers.

“I regularly drive down this road, and get sick of cars coming right
up behind me trying to get past when I am doing the 40mph speed limit.
Almost every time I drive along this road I get impatient drivers
behind me, then as soon as I get to the 20mph limit in Wawne they
overtake well over the speed limit.”

--
Simon Mason
Old July 22nd 11, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:
This comment seem to agree with my experience of selfish drivers.

“I regularly drive down this road, and get sick of cars coming right
up behind me trying to get past when I am doing the 40mph speed limit.
Almost every time I drive along this road I get impatient drivers
behind me, then as soon as I get to the 20mph limit in Wawne they
overtake well over the speed limit.”

highway code recommends letting faster vehicles through, pull over if
needed.

Old July 22nd 11, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jul 22, 5:50*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
This comment seem to agree with my experience of selfish drivers.

“I regularly drive down this road, and get sick of cars coming right
up behind me trying to get past when I am doing the 40mph speed limit.
Almost every time I drive along this road I get impatient drivers
behind me, then as soon as I get to the 20mph limit in Wawne they
overtake well over the speed limit.”

--

Another comment by a cyclist who seems to like them :-)

"I also cycle down this road sometimes, and these new cycle lanes make
me feel a lot safer. The council should invest their money by making
it a single track road with passing places every 100 metres, that way
I can have these wide cycle lanes to cycle in.”

--
Simon Mason
Old July 22nd 11, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
"Mrcheerful" considered Fri, 22 Jul 2011
18:23:39 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Simon Mason wrote:
This comment seem to agree with my experience of selfish drivers.

"I regularly drive down this road, and get sick of cars coming right
up behind me trying to get past when I am doing the 40mph speed
limit. Almost every time I drive along this road I get impatient
drivers behind me, then as soon as I get to the 20mph limit in
Wawne they overtake well over the speed limit."

highway code recommends letting faster vehicles through, pull over if
needed.

You somehow didn't notice that he is already traveling at the speed
limit.
Are there any other laws you believe you should assist others in
breaking?
I'm pretty sure the law takes precedence over a highway code
recommendation. In fact the highway code itself says so.

Do you have the capacity to enforce the law?
would you hold up an emergency vehicle ?
If someone wants to pass you then the safest thing is to let them through,
whether they are breaking the law is not your call.

Old July 22nd 11, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ron Lowe

Simon Mason wrote:
This comment seem to agree with my experience of selfish drivers.

“I regularly drive down this road, and get sick of cars coming right
up behind me trying to get past when I am doing the 40mph speed limit.
Almost every time I drive along this road I get impatient drivers
behind me, then as soon as I get to the 20mph limit in Wawne they
overtake well over the speed limit.â€

highway code recommends letting faster vehicles through, pull over if
needed.

You somehow didn't notice that he is already traveling at the speed
limit.
Are there any other laws you believe you should assist others in
breaking?
I'm pretty sure the law takes precedence over a highway code
recommendation. In fact the highway code itself says so.

Even so, you should still allow faster traffic to pass if you can.

You should not sit in the right-hand lane of a motorway, when the
left-hand lanes are clear, puffing your pipe and exclaiming that since
you are doing 70 you are in the right.

You should still pull over into the left-hand lane, and allow faster
traffic to overtake, even if it is exceeding the speed limit. It's not
your job to enforce the speed limit.

I'd not take it as far as pulling into a lay-by if I were doing the
legal limit, as if I were a tractor. I'd allow faster traffic to pass
if reasonably possible, but reasonably possibile does not include
pulling over into a lay-by if I were already doing the limit, and there
as a car flasshing it's headlights at me. They can just wait till it's
safe to pass.

Old July 22nd 11, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Simon Mason wrote:
This comment seem to agree with my experience of selfish drivers.

“I regularly drive down this road, and get sick of cars coming
right up behind me trying to get past when I am doing the 40mph
speed limit. Almost every time I drive along this road I get
impatient drivers behind me, then as soon as I get to the 20mph
limit in Wawne they overtake well over the speed limit.â€

highway code recommends letting faster vehicles through, pull over if
needed.

You somehow didn't notice that he is already traveling at the speed
limit.

Where does the highway code recommend letting faster vehicles through?
Where does it recommend pulling over to do so?

It recommends against holding up a long queue of traffic, but that
does not apply here. It advises you to use a crawler lane if one is
provided and something wishes to overtake, but that too is irrelevant.
It advises never to obstruct drivers who wish to pass, but not
obstructing them is different to pulling over to let them past.

I think this is yet another case of a motorist making up things to
claim the highway code endorses the anti-social illusion that seems
prevalent amongst motorists that they rule the streets and everyone
else is subservient to their whims.

What rule, relevant to the situation under discussion, advises a
driver to let faster vehicles through, pulling over if needed?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|