What's wrong with my bike?

Old August 2nd 04, 10:44 PM
Tommy Homicide

Default What's wrong with my bike?

I don't know **** about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS, but
thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn the
cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

Front and rear derailleur seem to work OK, chain jumps cogs as it's supposed
to when I shift, but no rotation of rear wheel. Wierd thing is it worked just
fine Saturday when I rode.

WTF?

--
____________________________
TOMMY HOMICIDE
Old August 2nd 04, 10:51 PM
di

"Tommy Homicide" wrote in message
9.11...
I don't know **** about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS,

but
thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn the
cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

Front and rear derailleur seem to work OK, chain jumps cogs as it's

supposed
to when I shift, but no rotation of rear wheel. Wierd thing is it worked

just
fine Saturday when I rode.

WTF?

--
____________________________
TOMMY HOMICIDE
http://www.tommyhomicide.com

It's in neutral :)

Seriously, sounds like the freehub has failed, the ratchets are not
engaging.

Old August 2nd 04, 11:08 PM
Tommy Homicide

It's in neutral :)

Seriously, sounds like the freehub has failed, the ratchets are not
engaging.

So probably new hub or rebuild existing? Can the hub possibly be rebuilt with
this problem? What's a fair price to rebuild or replace hub?

Muchos Gracias

--
____________________________
TOMMY HOMICIDE

Old August 2nd 04, 11:55 PM
di

"Tommy Homicide" wrote in message
.11...
It's in neutral :)

Seriously, sounds like the freehub has failed, the ratchets are not
engaging.

So probably new hub or rebuild existing? Can the hub possibly be rebuilt

with
this problem? What's a fair price to rebuild or replace hub?

Muchos Gracias

--
____________________________
TOMMY HOMICIDE
http://www.tommyhomicide.com

you can replace the freehub body without replacing the entire wheel hub, or
it could be the ratchets are just stuck. I've never worked on a freehub
body, only have taken them off the wheel hub, so can't advise much more than
that.

I had a Cannondale hub that would occasionally slip or jump, I just sprayed
it full of wd-40, and it seemed to free the ratchets up. I suspect the
grease had became thick. It's still being used.

Old August 3rd 04, 01:32 AM
Stephen Baker

Basically the problem is: when I turn the
cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

Turn them the _other_ way.....

Steve "no backpedalling"
Old August 3rd 04, 05:20 AM
Cameron

"Tommy Homicide" wrote in message 9.11...
I don't know **** about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS, but
thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn the
cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

Let go of the rear brake...

--
Cameron

Old August 3rd 04, 05:38 AM
SuperSlinky

Tommy Homicide said...

I don't know **** about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS, but
thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn the
cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

Front and rear derailleur seem to work OK, chain jumps cogs as it's supposed
to when I shift, but no rotation of rear wheel. Wierd thing is it worked just
fine Saturday when I rode.

WTF?

Agree with Di, it sounds like your ratchet pawls are stuck down or
broken. If you have disc brakes, then your hubs are rebadged Hugi Onyx
and word on the street is they are easy to work on. I own a set, but
haven't taken them apart. I would just take it to a Trek dealer. I have
had good luck with Trek customer service in the past.