Ouzo Stem compatibility

Old December 2nd 05, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Ouzo Stem compatibility

I need to find a 140, -17 stem that won't damage a Reynolds carbon steerer,
and I couldn't find any info at the Reynolds composites site even though
they say there is a list somewhere. Can anyone tell me if the newer Ritchey
stems will work? That's the only road stem in that size that I've found so
far, and it's got the diagonal slot Reynolds doesn't like.

Thanks for any help.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lee Hurd wrote:
I need to find a 140, -17 stem that won't damage a Reynolds carbon steerer,
and I couldn't find any info at the Reynolds composites site even though
they say there is a list somewhere. Can anyone tell me if the newer Ritchey
stems will work? That's the only road stem in that size that I've found so
far, and it's got the diagonal slot Reynolds doesn't like.

Thanks for any help.

Ritchey stems work well with Reynolds forks. leave 5mm spoacer above
the stem to prevent crushing of the very end of the steerer.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Lee Hurd wrote:
I need to find a 140, -17 stem that won't damage a Reynolds carbon steerer,
and I couldn't find any info at the Reynolds composites site even though
they say there is a list somewhere. Can anyone tell me if the newer Ritchey
stems will work? That's the only road stem in that size that I've found so
far, and it's got the diagonal slot Reynolds doesn't like.

Thanks for any help.

Ritchey stems work well with Reynolds forks. leave 5mm spoacer above
the stem to prevent crushing of the very end of the steerer.

How can you crush the end of the steerer tube, if you have the
compression plug installed?

Old December 2nd 05, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lee Hurd wrote:
I need to find a 140, -17 stem that won't damage a Reynolds carbon steerer,
and I couldn't find any info at the Reynolds composites site even though
they say there is a list somewhere. Can anyone tell me if the newer Ritchey
stems will work? That's the only road stem in that size that I've found so
far, and it's got the diagonal slot Reynolds doesn't like.

Thanks for any help.

Ritchey stems work well with Reynolds forks. leave 5mm spoacer above
the stem to prevent crushing of the very end of the steerer.

How can you crush the end of the steerer tube, if you have the
compression plug installed?

Easy. The guts inside the steerer are not at the very end of the
steerer. If the stem overlaps the end of the steerer and you really
gorilla it tight, you pinch/crush it. We put 5mm on top of all the
stems for any carbon steerer.

Old December 2nd 05, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lee Hurd wrote:
I need to find a 140, -17 stem that won't damage a Reynolds carbon steerer,
and I couldn't find any info at the Reynolds composites site even though
they say there is a list somewhere. Can anyone tell me if the newer Ritchey
stems will work? That's the only road stem in that size that I've found so
far, and it's got the diagonal slot Reynolds doesn't like.

Thanks for any help.

Ritchey stems work well with Reynolds forks. leave 5mm spoacer above
the stem to prevent crushing of the very end of the steerer.

How can you crush the end of the steerer tube, if you have the
compression plug installed?

Easy. The guts inside the steerer are not at the very end of the
steerer. If the stem overlaps the end of the steerer and you really
gorilla it tight, you pinch/crush it. We put 5mm on top of all the
stems for any carbon steerer.

Actually, the compression cap is EXACTLY at the very end of the
steerer, unless you've cut the steerer many, many mm too short. If
that's the case, then the compression cap won't work as it won't reach
the steerer tube. It's either at the end of the steerer or not at all.
Won't work any other way.

The compression cap (that hard plastic thingy that inserts in the end
of the tube) certainly does NOT go completely past the end of the
steerer tube, as it also has to reach beyond the top of the stem. If
you've cut the steerer so that it reaches within a couple of mm of the
top of the stem, taking into account the spacers you will use, the
compression cap will extend into the steerer well past the top bolt on
the stem and thus prevent that bolt from crushing the steerer. Unless,
of course, you tighten the stem so tight as to crush the steerer AND
the compression cap simultaneously.

Now, I'm sure there's at least one person out there who'll say they've
done it, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

If it's so important to have the steerer tube extend beyond the stem,
what's so magical about 5mm? Why not 10, or 20??? How did this
mystical 5mm come to be? Is it really reasonable to expect that a stem
tightened at the end of the tube will crush it, but if you just move it
down 5mm it won't?

Old December 2nd 05, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lee Hurd wrote:

I need to find a 140, -17 stem that won't damage a Reynolds carbon steerer,
and I couldn't find any info at the Reynolds composites site even though
they say there is a list somewhere. Can anyone tell me if the newer Ritchey
stems will work? That's the only road stem in that size that I've found so
far, and it's got the diagonal slot Reynolds doesn't like.

Thanks for any help.

Ritchey stems work well with Reynolds forks. leave 5mm spoacer above
the stem to prevent crushing of the very end of the steerer.

How can you crush the end of the steerer tube, if you have the
compression plug installed?

Easy. The guts inside the steerer are not at the very end of the
steerer. If the stem overlaps the end of the steerer and you really
gorilla it tight, you pinch/crush it. We put 5mm on top of all the
stems for any carbon steerer.

Peter, I building a bike with a full carbon fork at the moment. The
compression plug which came with the frameset has a large cylindrical
portion above 'the guts'. The diameter of this portion is 0.3 mm smaller
than the inner diameter of the steerer tube. See

http://home.planet.nl/~holtm072/plaa...ited%20006.jpg

would it be still wise to put a 5 mm spacer on top? I need no spacers
under the stem and putting a 5 mm on top would be kindda ugly (all
spacers look ugly). I'm gonna use a tork wrench, so no gorilla tightening.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old December 4th 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Too late now as it's been cut for a Thomson Elite (oops). The cap that came
with the fork is pretty beefy and extends down snugly inside the steerer
almost to the internal plug supporting more of the collar area. Maybe that's
a recent fix by Reynolds for the crushed steerer problem, but they still
sent a flier saying not to use certain types of stems just to confuse the
issue.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old December 4th 05, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lee Hurd wrote:
Too late now as it's been cut for a Thomson Elite (oops). The cap
that came with the fork is pretty beefy and extends down snugly
inside the steerer almost to the internal plug supporting more of the
collar area. Maybe that's a recent fix by Reynolds for the crushed
steerer problem, but they still sent a flier saying not to use
certain types of stems just to confuse the issue.

Can you thread a carbon steerer an additional couple of millimeters using a
die?

Ah, but tell me how many crushed steerers have YOU seen?

Do you know the fatigue properties of a carbon steerer tube?

Carbon steerer tubes are a bad design! No wait, we've all seen carbon
steerer tubes, so they can't be that bad of a design...

You're not addressing the original post!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 4th 05, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Please look up the sender of the original post.

Please consider last post wishful thinking in lieu of definitive
information. The top cap I'm talking about goes almost an inch into the
steerer tube and screws onto a threaded wedge circling the allen bolt used
for loading the headset bearings.

I have personally crushed one carbon steerer, and don't want to do it again
with my new ouzo, or were you gunning for someone else?

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message news:ruvkf.96014$0l5.62838@dukeread06...

Old December 4th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lee Hurd wrote:
[...]

I guess on your but the part that expands to hold it into the steerer
is not at the end, and the part that is threaded 'should' be a wee bit
below the end of the steerer, or the cap will hit that before the HS is
tightened.

The compression cap (that hard plastic thingy that inserts in the end
of the tube) certainly does NOT go completely past the end of the
steerer tube, as it also has to reach beyond the top of the stem.

The expansion plug for Ouzo Pro forks is NOT plastic, but all metal.
Not sure what you are referring to.

If
you've cut the steerer so that it reaches within a couple of mm of the
top of the stem, taking into account the spacers you will use, the
compression cap will extend into the steerer well past the top bolt on
the stem and thus prevent that bolt from crushing the steerer. Unless,
of course, you tighten the stem so tight as to crush the steerer AND
the compression cap simultaneously.

Now, I'm sure there's at least one person out there who'll say they've
done it, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

If it's so important to have the steerer tube extend beyond the stem,
what's so magical about 5mm? Why not 10, or 20??? How did this
mystical 5mm come to be? Is it really reasonable to expect that a stem
tightened at the end of the tube will crush it, but if you just move it
down 5mm it won't?

WE, at the shop, do not overlap the stem clamp portion on any carbon
steerer. WE at this bike shop ensure that the steerer is completely
thru the stem to prevent crushing. Not sure why you are being so ****y
about it-If it's so important to have the steerer tube extend beyond
the stem,
what's so magical about 5mm? Why not 10, or 20??? How did this
mystical 5mm come to be? Is it really reasonable to expect that a stem
tightened at the end of the tube will crush it, but if you just move it
down 5mm it won't?

If the carbon steerer doesn't go past the clamp portion of the stem,
but is partially below the end of the stem, it can be crushed...with
the top bolt being overtightened. If you can't visualize this-ohh
well....We are not keen about paying for a carbon fork we goon up.