Regent's Park rat running motorists to be banned 20 hours a day

Old February 10th 16, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Regent's Park rat running motorists to be banned 20 hours a day

QUOTE:
"Plans to ban rat-running motorists from Regent's Park's Outer Circle for 20 hours per day have been welcomed by cyclists who commute and train on the route.

As part of plans for Cycle Superhighway 11(CS11), from Swiss Cottage gyratory to the West End, which were released for consultation yesterday, bollards will be installed at four gates around Regent's Park's Outer Circle to prevent motor traffic using the route as a North-South rat run, except between 11am and 3pm.

As well as a cycle commuter route, the 4.4km Outer Circle is a popular training circuit for cycling clubs, who formed a coalition to oppose earlier plans by the Royal Parks to install 14 speed humps on the route. However, four remain in the final designs.

Cyclists who train at Regent's Park fighting against planned speed bumps on Outer Circle

Simon Munk, Infrastructure Campaigner at the London Cycling Campaign, says: "We massively support the closure of the gates and the reduction of traffic through the area, that's a huge shift in favour of cycling.

"I think the thing to remember is that this is about enabling far more leisure cyclists, sports cyclists and families to cycle, but also people who want to cycle but currently don't do so."

Justin Mckie, chair of Regent's Park Cyclists, a coalition of cycling clubs campaigning for better road conditions, is supportive of the plans, but says more can be done to cut East-West rat running, and has concerns over four raised tables in the designs that will act as speed humps.

He says: "I think broadly it's really positive, I think all the superhighways are moving in the right direction, I think [cycling commissioner Andrew] Gilligan and TfL (Transport for London) should be patted on the back, I don't think people say that enough.

"I think it is a bold move to close the North and South gates, but I don't think that goes far enough because I think they are still going to end up with a lot of through traffic East to West."

Mckie estimates around 3,000 cyclists use the Outer Circle for training, and says he hopes to see between 500-1000 responses to the consultation from the cycling club community.

Regent's Park is one of six sections being consulted on as part of CS11. Among improvements for pedestrians are widened pavements at crossing points by up to 2.5m, including outside London Zoo, which has an entrance on the Outer Circle.

Jono Kenyon, one of the cycle campaigners behind Cycling Works, who cycles with his children to London Zoo, via the Outer Circle, welcomes the plans.

He says: "At the moment the Outer Circle's pretty scary in terms of vehicle speed but also at weekends in terms of volume - there seems to be this never ending stream of cars coming through the park - so it would be good to see an attempt made to reduce that.

"Obviously the fundamental thing is the speeding. There was a [police] sting operation there last year and they caught someone doing 88mph; that sort of speed is possible because there's nothing there to hold drivers back."

http://road.cc/content/news/178335-r...d-20-hours-day
Old February 11th 16, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 08:14:04 -0800 (PST)
Alycidon wrote:

As well as a cycle commuter route, the 4.4km Outer Circle is a
popular training circuit for cycling clubs, who formed a coalition to
oppose earlier plans by the Royal Parks to install 14 speed humps on
the route. However, four remain in the final designs.

Wouldn't it have to be a pretty scary speed hump to make life difficult
for roadies?

Old February 11th 16, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

Alycidon wrote:

As well as a cycle commuter route, the 4.4km Outer Circle is a
popular training circuit for cycling clubs, who formed a coalition to
oppose earlier plans by the Royal Parks to install 14 speed humps on
the route. However, four remain in the final designs.

Wouldn't it have to be a pretty scary speed hump to make life difficult
for roadies?

When they spoke of speed humps in Greenwich Park (which has almost an inverse motoring restriction to those proposed on the Outer Circle, no motor vehicles except dawn to 10am and 4pm to dusk) the proposal was for cobbled humps to "retain the character of the road". It already has a nicely cobbled gutter for motorists to run cyclists into:
https://goo.gl/maps/GibSUeujg272
Old February 11th 16, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Alycidon wrote:

As well as a cycle commuter route, the 4.4km Outer Circle is a
popular training circuit for cycling clubs, who formed a coalition to
oppose earlier plans by the Royal Parks to install 14 speed humps on
the route. However, four remain in the final designs.

Wouldn't it have to be a pretty scary speed hump to make life difficult
for roadies?

When they spoke of speed humps in Greenwich Park (which has almost an inverse motoring restriction to those proposed on the Outer Circle, no motor vehicles except dawn to 10am and 4pm to dusk) the proposal was for cobbled humps to "retain the character of the road". It already has a nicely cobbled gutter for motorists to run cyclists into:
https://goo.gl/maps/GibSUeujg272

I miss the bone shaking rides I used to have down here on the way to work.

https://goo.gl/maps/bLez3yCUcCM2
Old February 11th 16, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 08:14:04 -0800 (PST), Alycidon wrote:

Cyclists who train at Regent's Park fighting against planned speed bumps on Outer Circle

Quite right to - why on earth should racing cyclists be slowed down just to
protect children, elderly people, and others enjoying a stroll in the park.

Re your subject : "Regent's Park rat running motorists to be banned 20 hours a
day"

I had not realised that a decision had been made yet. When was the decision
made?

Old February 11th 16, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Alycidon wrote:

As well as a cycle commuter route, the 4.4km Outer Circle is a
popular training circuit for cycling clubs, who formed a coalition to
oppose earlier plans by the Royal Parks to install 14 speed humps on
the route. However, four remain in the final designs.

Wouldn't it have to be a pretty scary speed hump to make life difficult
for roadies?

When they spoke of speed humps in Greenwich Park (which has almost an inverse motoring restriction to those proposed on the Outer Circle, no motor vehicles except dawn to 10am and 4pm to dusk) the proposal was for cobbled humps to "retain the character of the road". It already has a nicely cobbled gutter for motorists to run cyclists into:
https://goo.gl/maps/GibSUeujg272

I miss the bone shaking rides I used to have

Surely you mean "boner".

Old February 11th 16, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Thursday, 11 February 2016 10:05:46 UTC, Alycidon wrote:

I miss the bone shaking rides I used to have down here on the way to work.

https://goo.gl/maps/bLez3yCUcCM2

And here it is.

https://youtu.be/gZkLMgxaYog