relatively amusing craig's list ad

Old April 18th 08, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire

Default relatively amusing craig's list ad

Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html
Old April 18th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Claire wrote:
Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

Sounds like somebody was outriding their abilities... ouch. It does
have a brake, but skidstops are cooler I guess.

I can't wait for the fixed gear fad to end -- I hate looking like I'm
just following the crowd!

--
Work and recreation are not often effected at the same time.
One using a bicycle in business makes an exception to the rule.
Old April 18th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Anthony DeLorenzo

Another in the same vein:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/608546617.html
Old April 19th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Claire writes:
Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

At one point I thought /my/ bike was cursed.

Until it and me got head-on'd by a car.

Maybe just the parts I had to replace were cursed.

But I'll tell ya what -- that frame is as solid as
a brick sh!740u23, and that's the truth.

There's somewhat to be said for the hi-tens end
of the chro-moly spectrum.

Black spokes would look good with my rhinestone-eyed
black skull valve caps. I need more skull/death's-head
themed stuff for my bike.

The Craigslist seller should just get himself a bike
that he could ride and enjoy. Well, I guess he should
just enjoy whatever his reasonable volition suggests.

Anyways, nothing is ~cursed~. We just tend to put our
own baggage on stuff. You know that; why am I telling you?

If those black spokes were octagonal ...

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 19th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Claire wrote:
Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

Please explain to me again the attraction of fixed gears.

Old April 19th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
Claire wrote:
Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

Please explain to me again the attraction of fixed gears.

I don't know, or more to the point, I don't know the attraction in
somewhere like SF. Boston is pretty flat, especially tooling along the
Charles, so gears are pretty optional. In icy weather, a fixer with
studded tires is about as practical as you can get.

I think much of the original appeal of fixers was that they're really
cheap to build, especially if you go with the suicide package --
locktite and no brakes. It gave you something to do with bike boom era
jetsam cluttering up your garage, the beater/errand bike you could
cobble together in a couple of hours and not ever worry about being
boosted when you left it unlocked in front of a store. Ride hard, put
away dirty. To me, the current rash of high zoot, fresh from the factory
fixers are rolling oxymorons. But that's just me.

Anyway, I like mine with 2 brakes (I've never done a skid stop in my
life -- a waste of nice tires). I also like fenders, as beaters, by
definition, are ridden in crap. Rear wheel is cheap & sturdy with a real
track hub (low end, but still a splurge), front wheel is whatever is
spare at the moment. Rather than skinny, chopped down, hipster bars I
use wide butterfly (think stairmaster) bars because they work best for
standing climbs (something you do all the time on a fixer, even in Boston).

I don't know why I like it, I've ridden it for several years now, and it
always seems to be the first bike I reach for when I'm not going out for
an all day ride. That said, I have a friend who is a long distance rider
(brevets/BMB, etc.) who rides fixed exclusively. I can almost understand
that.

Fixers are not compatible with shoelaces or short attention spans. I
have had the occasional fixed moment, but never anything close to a
crash. I prefer a fixer for urban, weave through the gridlock, riding,
but my favorite times are like last night, riding along no-hands with a
tailwind on a flat road -- dead quiet and feeling closest to just
floating along with no bike at all -- bugs-in-the-teeth pleasant.
Old April 19th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sojourner

On Apr 19, 6:14 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
Anyways, nothing is ~cursed~. We just tend to put our
own baggage on stuff. You know that; why am I telling you?

OF COURSE the bike is cursed! Besides, didn't you read what's written
on the hub?

It says "SURLY". That pretty much sums up the bike's temperament
right there.

Sojourner
Old April 20th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

But I'll tell ya what -- that frame is as solid as
a brick sh!740u23, and that's the truth.

=v= Might-ay Might-ay / Just lettin' it all hang out.
_Jym_

Old April 21st 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Peter Cole wrote:
but my favorite times are like last night, riding along no-hands with a
tailwind on a flat road -- dead quiet and feeling closest to just
floating along with no bike at all -- bugs-in-the-teeth pleasant.

I too grab my fixed gear for anything not too hilly or not too long (10
+ 50 miles has been my longest single day on it thus far).

There's no matching the feeling of efficiency. The feeling of momentum
that you get when the bike is pulling your legs through the dead spots
in your stroke is amazing. It's my favorite bike for riding in the
city, it's the best for taking on the train/bus as there are no
extraneous parts to worry about bashing, nothing to interfere with
putting it on a rack, it's light as air (lighter than my AL road bike).
Removing the wheels to throw it in a trunk is as simple as it gets.

Sure... a lot of those benefits would apply to a single speed road bike,
but not the momentum, which is what's magic about them.

As I wrote on my website,
http://twowheels.us/bicycles/peugeot_fixie.html, I first rode one about
six years ago and I was hooked... fixation might be a better word. :-)
I couldn't stop thinking about getting a fixed gear for years, until I
finally got one. I wasn't disappointed! It met and exceeded my
expectations much more than my recumbent experience did!! (Hi Tom!)

I just can't wait for the fad to end... I hate to look like I'm one
following the crowd. The kids that came over to chat with a fellow
fixie rider in the park yesterday were nice, though I cringe to think of
them riding brakeless in skater shoes on platform pedals.

-Rex

Old April 22nd 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Rex Kerr wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about your handicap.

I just can't wait for the fad to end... I hate to look like I'm one
following the crowd. The kids that came over to chat with a fellow
fixie rider in the park yesterday were nice, though I cringe to think of
them riding brakeless in skater shoes on platform pedals.

The thought of trying to clip in and out of rotating pedals [1] is
enough to make me not want to even try a fixie.

[1] I have tried doing so as a tandem stoker and it did not go well.

Amusing stuff Bill C Racing 1 December 27th 07 12:58 AM
I just got a new unicycle(amusing story) dan de man Unicycling 12 May 15th 07 02:07 PM
Another amusing annecdote TimC Australia 7 May 12th 06 09:12 AM
Amusing clipping.. Richard Adams Racing 1 July 24th 05 02:11 AM
Mildy amusing Willowbeauty UK 4 August 15th 03 01:05 AM