Does Responsible Mountain Bicycling Exist?

Old October 17th 13, 04:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Does Responsible Mountain Bicycling Exist?

In my experience, selfishness is too ingrained in the mountain biker generation to actually seriously practice any of this. But, on the other hand, they are quite willing to claim that they do, and hijack your "responsible mountain biking" jargon. This exemplified by the conference they put on many years ago at Sports Basement in San Francisco on "The Responsible Mountain Biker", which had an attendance of one person!

Mike

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:46:20 -0700
Subject: Responsible Mountain Bicycling In Marin?
From: [a friend]

Probably a little on the light side but at least a half-hearted attempt?

http://www.marinbike.org/News/Bullet...1016.shtml#BSS

Maybe add the following or some facsimile of it:

Another way of packaging the responsible mountain bicycling message
might be the following (free to adopt or adapt this or something like
this for the environmental benefits it may do over the very long haul
-- to be seeded, fertilized, watered, nurtured and facilitated in our
elementary, junior, high and college/university school levels):

Include some responsible mountain bicycling graphics and jazzy graphic
layout & art... preferable legal and responsible activity
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The mountain bicycle is a marvel of technology until it is misused or
its use is abused.

The mountain bicycle, an amazing evolving technology, has never been
more popular and appears to be becoming even more popular as the
economy improves and marketing budgets flourish - at least this is the
rhetoric that the mountain bicycling access to public lands lobby uses
to further their agenda. This to the real and potential diminishment
of the quality and health of our natural resource environments,
nationally and worldwide.

With this in mind and to help the public and responsible mountain
bicyclists (and all off-road, unpaved trail users) to be more
conscious of our impacts and to be responsible in our demeanors and
behaviors, the following is offered for discussion, consideration,
adoption, adaptation, and use.

Responsible mountain bikers:

• Recognize and acknowledge impacts that mountain bicycling, our own
and that of others, has on the unprotected environment.

• Recognize and acknowledge the impacts that mountain bicycling has on wildlife.

• Recognize and acknowledge the impacts that mountain bicycling has on
protective groundcover and sensitive or endangered grasses, plants and
other vegetation.

• Recognize and acknowledge the impacts that mountain bicycling has on
water quality due to soil erosion, runoff and sedimentation.

• Recognize and acknowledge the impacts that mountain bicycling has on
natural resource protective management and enforcement budgets.

• Recognize and acknowledge the impacts that mountain bicycling has on
other trail users.

• Recognize and acknowledge the impacts that mountain bicycling has on
one's personal ethics and values integrity.

• Recognize and acknowledge the impacts that mountain bicycling has on
even bike-legal trails and surrounding environmental resources.

• Responsible mountain bikers act, behave, think and believe
proactively, and avoid or minimize the environmental, social and
economic costs and impacts of mountain bicycling.

• Responsible mountain bikers avoid or minimize riding even unpaved
bike-legal off-road, unpaved trails.

• Responsible mountain bikers avoid or minimize riding in ways that
are known to degrade trails and surrounding resources, lead to
erosion, and sedimentation or other environmental damage.

• Responsible mountain bikers ride on developed riding tracks or bike
parks that are publicly approved for such use and are monitored and
maintained for reduced environmental damage and impacts.

• Responsible mountain bikers ride responsibly and appropriately on
each trail or facility provided for this use.

• Responsible mountain bikers avoid or minimize riding in groups or
numbers to reduce impacts.

• Responsible mountain bikers recognize when trails are being overused
or misused and avoid or minimize riding such trails.

• Responsible mountain bikers recognize the impacts that bicycling in
wet weather has on trails and natural ecology, and avoid or minimize
riding during wet weather or wet trail conditions.

• Responsible mountain bikers adhere to and honor established trail
riding etiquette, rules, and regulations.

• Responsible mountain bikers do not pay lip service to playing nice
on the trails and being responsible in the use of our natural
resources to gain additional access to trails and natural resources,
we ride the talk.

It is unlikely that Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson or John
Muir would have become mountain bicycling's supporters or users had
this evolving technology existed in their times (except for use on
paved or highly developed, managed, maintained and environmentally
protected facilities and resources), but it is certain that if they
had, they would have been responsible mountain bicyclists. Jesus,
too! How would Buddha ride?

Responsible bikers use technology responsibly, sensibly, and sensitively.

Amen brothers and sisters, spread the responsible mountain bicycling
ethic. It is green, too. Encourage each other to ride responsibly.

Share with those who may be interested or who might benefit by its receipt.

Now that bicyclists and equestrians in some areas are meeting and
talking together, trying to mend the broken fences between them, do
you suppose we might invite them to invite along a biologist or two to
introduce them to the natural environment and the impacts that all of
our uses impose on it? And then perhaps we might be introduced to a
couple of land management public budget and natural resource
protection and funding
managers.

Responsible access is low-to-no environmental impact, low-to-no public
cost access.
Old October 17th 13, 09:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike

In your experience? Considering you have a criminal record your experience does count for much,
Old October 17th 13, 09:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
I love Mike

Considering your experience includes a criminal conviction I would suggest that your experience is hardly relevant.
Old October 22nd 13, 10:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paul Harrison

" in the mountain biker generation"

What exactly is the "mountain biker generation" I cycle with everyone from my 5 year old son to my 67 year old father. So what exactly is this "generation" you are referring too exactly? Or are you one of these pathetic baby boomers who harks on about how things were so much better in their days and how the youth of today are so disrespectful?