Problem with New Bike's Horoscope

Old October 26th 04, 08:09 AM
Tom Anderson

Whazzarke wrote:
Steve (who only ever mounts from the left side of the bike)

I thought most people did that......don't they...
--
Tom Anderson
Leighton Buzzard, England.

Replace with dunsmokin at btinternet.com to reply
Old October 26th 04, 08:15 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Velvet wrote:

Given what you have said, I'd be inclined to view the 'birth' as the
point in time that you could (if you so wished) get on and ride it. IE,
at the point when it's been checked over by the bike shop and
pronounced the bolts are tight where they're meant to be tight, it's got
everything on that needs to be on, etc.

I'm inclining more to this view. For a computer, the birth time is when you
have taken everything out of its cartons, assembled all the bits and booted
it up for the first time. The other two bikes were "born" at the moment of
the bank card transaction, but only because they were ready to ride at that
point. In fact, for Behemoth I had paid an initial deposit a few days
earlier. When I came to pick her up she was not only road-ready, but had had
a number of extra options fitted like the spedometer and basket.

If I had bought Flyzipper from a land-based dealer, he would have been
road-ready when we left the shop. I had not calculated on this extra layer
of commerce from an internet dealer. In fact, bike arrives in a crate and
still needs some elements of final assembly (pedals aren't even on, etc.)
Had I known, I would have had him delivered straight to the LBS rather than
to my office, as I now have the problem of getting it to the LBS from my
office. I will order a taxi for this evening and hope we can get out of work
in time.

EFR
Ile de France

Old October 26th 04, 08:22 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

"the.Mark" wrote:

I've always wondered how astrologers cope when new planets are discovered
and considering the relative size of pluto and its distance from Earth how
come they don't take all the asteroids and other minor bodies into account?

They do, actually. But it depends how "fine grained" an image they want.
Asteroids can mean too much detail.

As for new planets, they're no problem. The consensus is that a new planet is a
new archetype that reveals itself to the collective psyche. For example,
concepts such as Revolution or Radioactivity are historically modern, but
impact heavily on how we screen our consciousness.

EFR
Ile de France

Old October 26th 04, 08:43 AM
David E. Belcher

Simon Brooke wrote in message ...

Fear not. The bicycle in question was made in China.

My bike was made on Merseyside - does this mean that it will display a
tendency to uncontrollably crash into Boris Johnson, should I ever
encounter him out and about on his own bike whilst I'm on a ride? ;-)

David E. Belcher
Old October 26th 04, 08:54 AM
Colin Blackburn

On 26 Oct 2004 00:43:50 -0700, David E. Belcher
wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote in message

Fear not. The bicycle in question was made in China.

My bike was made on Merseyside - does this mean that it will display a
tendency to uncontrollably crash into Boris Johnson, should I ever
encounter him out and about on his own bike whilst I'm on a ride? ;-)

We can only hope that Boris Johnson's bike was made on Merseyside too.

Colin
Old October 26th 04, 10:33 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

So, this is even more problematic than I thought!

I have been phoning round a few local bicycle shops, and so far a number of
them are _refusing_ to put the bike together and make the final adjustments
to activate the warranty! The argument is they didn't sell it, so they won't
handle it. Also, the fact that Dahon is not sold at all in France means that
no one wants to put their name on a Dahon warranty!

EFR
Ile de France

Old October 26th 04, 10:45 AM
Simon Mason

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

I thought it was only the elements heavier than iron, whilst and those
below iron were in fact created in the star which then supernova'd,and
thus you can probably add a billion or two years onto that? /pedant

Very true Sir :-)

Old October 26th 04, 04:45 PM
Pat

: So, this is even more problematic than I thought!
:
: I have been phoning round a few local bicycle shops, and so far a number
of
: them are _refusing_ to put the bike together and make the final
adjustments
: to activate the warranty! The argument is they didn't sell it, so they
won't
: handle it. Also, the fact that Dahon is not sold at all in France means
that
: no one wants to put their name on a Dahon warranty!
:
: EFR
: Ile de France

I can see their point if you were asking them to do it for free, but you are
willing to pay a small fee, right?
I guess they don't want your future business, either.

Pat in TX
:

Old October 26th 04, 05:10 PM
Leo Lichtman

"vernon levy" wrote: (clip) I have mulitple personalities and all of them
hate work :-)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have multiple personalities, and all of them hate ME. :-(

Old October 26th 04, 06:09 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Pat wrote:

I can see their point if you were asking them to do it for free, but you are
willing to pay a small fee, right?
I guess they don't want your future business, either.

Of course I'm expecting to pay for the service. I am particularly disappointed
by the attitude of my local LBS. He says it's the third bike I buy from someone
other than him, and he's fed up with "patching up other people's problems". He
says if I buy cheap goods on the internet (the Dahon put me back nearly a 1000
euros) I make my bed and lie in it. I always pay him for his time and services,
and I have always gone to him first when looking for my bikes. I buy elsewhere
because he _cannot_ provide the goods that I want. I once asked him for a
woman's comfort saddle and he keenly tried to fob me a man's sports saddle, like
it would make no difference.

I have finally found a place that says they can do this for 39 Euros. They're
quite far from me, but a colleague is willing to drive me tomorrow noonish.

They say the bike will be ready by the end of this week. I've been scrutinizing
the ephemerides again and find that the best time to pick her up is 11:30 on
November 6th - Saturday week, sharpish. On a Saturday, I shall contrive to get
out there by public transport and cycle back part of the way. They might resent
having to make room for her for so long, but I can't just bring her in later
because the willing colleague is not available at another time. Unfortunately,
the skies for Saturday October 30th are not nearly so favorable to me.

EFR
Ile de France

Where are the inexpensive steel bikes? Werehatrack Techniques 32 June 24th 04 05:04 PM
Why are bikes such a problem on airlines? Janet Rides 18 March 25th 04 12:51 AM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
£40,000 of Giant bikes stolen -Little Tricycle Pink Pink 10" David L Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 03 10:06 PM