cool weather gear report

Old November 7th 04, 05:34 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

psycholist wrote:

I'm a huge fan of knickers. They're very versatile. They can easily
go from a sunny, high 40s day up to the low 70s and the'll be
comfortable. But I hate bibs and it's hard to find knickers that
aren't bib knickers. PI used to make some. I bought 3 pair that
I've worn for years and years now.

I've yet to try knickers, but knee warmers are the bee's...well, knees. Why
not try 'em with regular shorts?

In San Diego, almost any conditions can be met with arm and knee warmers and
a light vest. (I have leg warmers, but use them maybe once a year.)

Bill "pocket protection" S.

Old November 7th 04, 03:20 PM
Bob Anderson

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:03:05 -0500, "psycholist"
wrote:

Helmuffs

found them here, look interesting...
http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prod-1612.htm

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon
Old November 7th 04, 03:23 PM
psycholist

"B i l l S o r n s o n" wrote in message
psycholist wrote:

I'm a huge fan of knickers. They're very versatile. They can easily
go from a sunny, high 40s day up to the low 70s and the'll be
comfortable. But I hate bibs and it's hard to find knickers that
aren't bib knickers. PI used to make some. I bought 3 pair that
I've worn for years and years now.

I've yet to try knickers, but knee warmers are the bee's...well, knees.
Why
not try 'em with regular shorts?

In San Diego, almost any conditions can be met with arm and knee warmers
and
a light vest. (I have leg warmers, but use them maybe once a year.)

Bill "pocket protection" S.

I don't like the elastic bands on the legs of my shorts as it is. With knee
warmers you have to deal with two sets of elastic bands. I'm a mesomorph
and I find these bands to be quite constrictive. With the knickers, I roll
up the elastic to where it comes right to the top of the calf and right
below the knee. No elastic bands eating at my thighs, no knee warmers to
ride down and pull up ... ride down and pull up ... ride down and pull up

And the elastic band of the knickers just below the kneecap can help the
patellar tendon track better across the kneecap. That's important for me
'cuz I've broken my kneecap and have problems with the patellar tendon not
tracking properly.

FYI,
Bob C.

Old November 7th 04, 04:20 PM
H. M. Leary

In article . net,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

"pam_in_sc" wrote in message
Here in western South Carolina fall just hit. I went out to ride this
morning around 7:30 am and turned back twice to add more warmth. It was
46 degrees and foggy.

snip
realized the sun was out, it just still seemed foggy because of the
water drops on my glasses (I haven't gotten to the optical shop to ask
them if I can use RainX on them).

Saliva works almost as well, and is much handier.

snip

Try www.campmor.com and search for ³Cat Crap²

Works great - at least for me - and glasses/gogles donıt fog

HTH
Old November 7th 04, 04:59 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

psycholist wrote:
"B i l l S o r n s o n" wrote in message

I've yet to try knickers, but knee warmers are the bee's...well,
knees. Why
not try 'em with regular shorts?

I don't like the elastic bands on the legs of my shorts as it is.
With knee warmers you have to deal with two sets of elastic bands.
I'm a mesomorph and I find these bands to be quite constrictive.
With the knickers, I roll up the elastic to where it comes right to
the top of the calf and right below the knee. No elastic bands
eating at my thighs, no knee warmers to ride down and pull up ...
ride down and pull up ... ride down and pull up ...

And the elastic band of the knickers just below the kneecap can help
the patellar tendon track better across the kneecap. That's
important for me 'cuz I've broken my kneecap and have problems with
the patellar tendon not tracking properly.

How dare you have a coherent, concise answer that makes perfect sense! Get
with the program, Bob!

Bill "may shop for some knickers" S.

Old November 7th 04, 05:08 PM
psycholist

wrote:

Helmuffs

found them here, look interesting...
http://www.greggscycles.com/cartgenie/prod-1612.htm

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon

Yep ... that's them. They're fantastic. I've used them for years and for
many, many cold winter rides!

Bob C.

Old November 7th 04, 05:09 PM
psycholist

psycholist wrote:
[...]

Nobody's ever accused me of THAT before ... especially not after my replies
in all the political threads. But lets not go there.

Stay warm!

Bob C.

Old November 7th 04, 07:38 PM
pam_in_sc

H. M. Leary wrote:

Try www.campmor.com and search for ³Cat Crap²

Works great - at least for me - and glasses/gogles donıt fog

HTH

My problem isn't fogging, it is water droplets collecting on the outside
of my glasses when riding in fog. The inside of my glasses weren't fogged.

Pam

Old November 7th 04, 07:46 PM
pam_in_sc

psycholist wrote:
I don't like the elastic bands on the legs of my shorts as it is. With knee
warmers you have to deal with two sets of elastic bands. I'm a mesomorph
and I find these bands to be quite constrictive. With the knickers, I roll
up the elastic to where it comes right to the top of the calf and right
below the knee. No elastic bands eating at my thighs, no knee warmers to
ride down and pull up ... ride down and pull up ... ride down and pull up

And the elastic band of the knickers just below the kneecap can help the
patellar tendon track better across the kneecap. That's important for me
'cuz I've broken my kneecap and have problems with the patellar tendon not
tracking properly.

FYI,
Bob C.

I bought some leg warmers but the elastic band at the top is
unpleasantly tight. I'm not sure whether to wait to lose more weight or
to cut (or even add another piece to lengthen) the elastic. Knickers
and knee socks sound like they might be a good idea.

I have a kneecap that used to dislocate once a year or so, but a massage
therapist taught me to stretch the tendon and it hasn't happened in 11
years.

Pam

Old November 7th 04, 11:38 PM
Peter Cole

"psycholist" wrote

I've been out in the 20s plenty of times and I
find a plain old cheapo stocking cap from WalMart is as good as anything
under your helmet when it's that cold. Throwing a little vaseline on

your
face helps take the bite of the wind away when it's that cold.

Balaclavas work well. A thin one is usually all you need to keep ears and
face warm.

Race Report. Roger Buchanan Mountain Biking 0 April 29th 04 02:03 PM
Cold weather gear Jem Berkes General 32 January 7th 04 05:41 AM
Dumb Newbie Qs on Gears and Speed Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 July 27th 03 08:23 PM