New Max Altitude record!

Old April 26th 04, 06:19 AM
nathan

Default New Max Altitude record!

I've been training for some 24 hour races and set a new record (for me)
climbing today. It was 3 laps of my regular Muni training ride which is
10.26 miles round trip each way with 2278' climbing on the way up and
192' climbing on the way back. I had done 2 laps a couple of times but
never 3. The rides totalled 30.8 miles/49.6km with 7410'/2260m of
climbing. Here's a 'topo map'
(http://www.movaris.com/nathan/maps/Sheldon.JPG). Total riding time was
6:45. The hardest part was mental because it was such a hot day today.
The temp hit 90F/32C. I took a break of 40 minutes after the first lap
and 3 1/2 hours after the second lap - to wait for evening. Of course,
the real test will be how my legs feel tomorrow on my 25 mile Coker
ride.

I don't actually know what my previous climbing record was but it was no
where near 7400'. Anyone have an even more crazy day they did? I think
there was a Dutch guy who did 3 laps on a pass in the Alps which
totalled more gain - something like 3000m? Kris and I did 'over 16,700'
of elevation change' (http://tinyurl.com/3halz) in a day a couple of
year ago - I was sore for 7 days after that one.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old April 26th 04, 06:54 AM
john_childs

Wow! That's epic.

That looks like about an 8% plus grade for 5 miles on a dirt road. I
wouldn't consider that an easy climb.

I'm going to have to do some sort of an epic again when the snow clears
from the trails. Hopefully soon. Ideally I'd like to time it so that
the wildflowers are in bloom.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old April 26th 04, 02:48 PM
aspenmike

Nice going Nathan, send some of that hot weather this way. We had more
fresh snow on the ground yesterday. As far as total climbing in a one
ride, 8000' is awesome. I've been around there a couple of times with
top riding altitude of 14,000' elevation. This summer I hope to go over
10,000 up and 10,000 down on one ride through the Central Rockies, want
to join me? Congrats on your ride, and good luck on the upcoming 24 hr
races.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old April 26th 04, 11:00 PM
GizmoDuck

Wow, that's a huge amount of climbing! I think the most I ever did was
about 1000-1200m over 50km at the Karapoti Classic (and most of that
climbing involved scrambling uphill on foot).

Haven't been able to do much hillwork- working in Masterton at the
moment which is boringly flat. I have been doing multi-laps of a big
sports field with really long grass- awesome workout- the rolling
resistance is unreal.

Tried out my lightstix on the wheel yesterday- I'll bring some spare for
you in case you want to light up your wheel. I'm also rigging up a
Blaster gun (or at least just the internal bits) to shoot other cyclists
with at the Moonride .

Seeya soon,

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - Adventure unicyclist

o-kO

Old April 27th 04, 03:51 AM
tomblackwood

Nathan, that's just amazing. I don't even really have a way to put that
in perspective...I think the longest single climb I've done is the one
this year at CA Muni Auburn day from the river up to the top of the
valley. So should I basically think about riding that hill 7.5 times in
a row? Ouch!

By the end of this summer I'd like to feel comfortable with 2-3 thousand
feet. Your single day record is safe, at least from me.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old April 27th 04, 06:30 AM
scot

YOU DA MAN !!

Awesome record, Nathan.

Good luck in NZ on your solo effort and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY !

--
scot - cyclops eating bike

stick with what works

scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992