Will Sachs Ergo shifters work with xt or lx mountain group?

Old January 31st 04, 05:52 AM
Steve Knight

Default Will Sachs Ergo shifters work with xt or lx mountain group?

I am selling my sachs 8 speed ergo shifters. and I got this question xt or lx
mountain group on a cross or tandom bike. will they work for that?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old January 31st 04, 06:07 AM
Dave Mayer

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
I am selling my sachs 8 speed ergo shifters. and I got this question xt or

lx
mountain group on a cross or tandom bike. will they work for that?

My experience is that Sachs Ergopower shifters do not index with Shimano
rear derailleurs. BTW: all Shimano derailleurs post 1985 are compatible,
MTB or road (one exception: pre-9-speed Dura-Ace).

Anyway, the Sachs shifters pull too much cable for Shimano derailleurs, and
too little for Campy derailleurs. They index great with Sachs rear
derailleurs.

Old January 31st 04, 02:00 PM
JP

Steve Knight wrote in message . ..
I am selling my sachs 8 speed ergo shifters. and I got this question xt or lx
mountain group on a cross or tandom bike. will they work for that?

The other response notwithstanding, it seems from your ebay ad that
you use them yourself with Shimano derailleurs. My understanding is
that if it works with most Shimano road, then it should work with xt,
but someone else may have more firsthand knowledge.

I have researched this myself from a slightly different perspective,
of using Modolo Morphos shifters set to Shimano to shift Sachs
derailleurs but haven't yet been able to put my hands on the right New
Success or Quarz rear to get direct observations that I can relate.
From what I have read in the archives my conclusion is that Sachs
shifters are Shimano derailleur compatible but need a Sachs 8s
freewheel for perfect shifting because it's spacing is slightly
different from Shimano. There seem to be some divergent opinions on
this subject and I may have made a mistake in my analysis of the
literature.

JP
Old January 31st 04, 02:00 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

steve- I am selling my sachs 8 speed ergo shifters. and I got this question
xt or lx
mountain group on a cross or tandom bike. will they work for that? BRBR

If they still have the Sachs disc, they are compatible with sachs and shimano
rear ders, all but DA 8s..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old January 31st 04, 06:14 PM
Steve Knight

If they still have the Sachs disc, they are compatible with sachs and shimano
rear ders, all but DA 8s..

I believe they have the sachs disc. they worked fine with a shimano RD and
shimano spacers on my campy hub and cogset.
but they worked fine on a new DA 9 speed rd.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old January 31st 04, 06:14 PM
Steve Knight

My experience is that Sachs Ergopower shifters do not index with Shimano
rear derailleurs. BTW: all Shimano derailleurs post 1985 are compatible,
MTB or road (one exception: pre-9-speed Dura-Ace).

Anyway, the Sachs shifters pull too much cable for Shimano derailleurs, and
too little for Campy derailleurs. They index great with Sachs rear
derailleurs.

worked fine on my 9 speed da rd.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old January 31st 04, 06:18 PM
Steve Knight

From what I have read in the archives my conclusion is that Sachs
shifters are Shimano derailleur compatible but need a Sachs 8s
freewheel for perfect shifting because it's spacing is slightly
different from Shimano. There seem to be some divergent opinions on
this subject and I may have made a mistake in my analysis of the
literature.

I have a campy hub and cogset with shimano spacers (G) but they worked fine. I
could not get it to work with a chorus rd though. though maybe the spacers were
sachs? my buddy who built the bike said they were shimano.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old January 31st 04, 06:35 PM
Mike S.

"JP" wrote in message
om...
Steve Knight wrote in message

. ..
I am selling my sachs 8 speed ergo shifters. and I got this question xt

or lx
mountain group on a cross or tandom bike. will they work for that?

The other response notwithstanding, it seems from your ebay ad that
you use them yourself with Shimano derailleurs. My understanding is
that if it works with most Shimano road, then it should work with xt,
but someone else may have more firsthand knowledge.

I have researched this myself from a slightly different perspective,
of using Modolo Morphos shifters set to Shimano to shift Sachs
derailleurs but haven't yet been able to put my hands on the right New
Success or Quarz rear to get direct observations that I can relate.
From what I have read in the archives my conclusion is that Sachs
shifters are Shimano derailleur compatible but need a Sachs 8s
freewheel for perfect shifting because it's spacing is slightly
different from Shimano. There seem to be some divergent opinions on
this subject and I may have made a mistake in my analysis of the
literature.

JP

When I was running Sachs Ergos and rear derailleur, I used to switch back
and forth between Sachs FW wheels and Shimano cassette wheels with
absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I'm still kicking myself for selling that setup off... I coulda made it 9v,
but I didn't realize it at the time.

Mike

Old February 1st 04, 02:49 AM
JP

Steve Knight wrote in message . ..
From what I have read in the archives my conclusion is that Sachs
shifters are Shimano derailleur compatible but need a Sachs 8s
freewheel for perfect shifting because it's spacing is slightly
different from Shimano. There seem to be some divergent opinions on
this subject and I may have made a mistake in my analysis of the
literature.

I have a campy hub and cogset with shimano spacers (G) but they worked fine. I
could not get it to work with a chorus rd though. though maybe the spacers were
sachs? my buddy who built the bike said they were shimano.

Weren't Sachs freeubs made by Campy? If so, it seems like the Sachs
shifters could be the odd situation of Shimano derailleur
compatibility and Campy cassette spacing, which might be close enough
that it could work with Shimano spacing but in some cases might not? I
don't know, I'm just fishing for a theory that would explain why a lot
of people say the Sachs shifters work with Shimano and some say they
don't. Maybe the ones that don't just didn't get them adjusted right
and gave up trying.

JP
Old February 1st 04, 04:42 PM
Mike S.

"JP" wrote in message
om...
Steve Knight wrote in message

. ..
From what I have read in the archives my conclusion is that Sachs
shifters are Shimano derailleur compatible but need a Sachs 8s
freewheel for perfect shifting because it's spacing is slightly
different from Shimano. There seem to be some divergent opinions on
this subject and I may have made a mistake in my analysis of the
literature.

I have a campy hub and cogset with shimano spacers (G) but they worked

fine. I
could not get it to work with a chorus rd though. though maybe the

spacers were
sachs? my buddy who built the bike said they were shimano.

Weren't Sachs freeubs made by Campy?

Sachs is a huge conglomerate of bicycle/car/motorcycle parts manufacturers
in Europe. The freewheels were made by them. It was the SHIFTERS that were
made by Campy.

If so, it seems like the Sachs
shifters could be the odd situation of Shimano derailleur
compatibility and Campy cassette spacing, which might be close enough
that it could work with Shimano spacing but in some cases might not? I
don't know, I'm just fishing for a theory that would explain why a lot
of people say the Sachs shifters work with Shimano and some say they
don't. Maybe the ones that don't just didn't get them adjusted right
and gave up trying.

JP

See above.

Mike