Rims

Old January 21st 04, 10:20 AM
Richard Bates

Default Rims

I'm going to splash out on a dynohub wheel. I want to use it on my
tourer which will be carrying camping kit. A few questions:

What's a good rim?
36 hole?
Schmidt hubs are the cats whikers?
Double butted spokes are the way to go for strength?

TIA, Rich x

--
I remember when the internet was only in black & white.
It only had a few pages but at least they all worked.
Old January 21st 04, 10:49 AM
Pete Biggs

Richard Bates wrote:
I'm going to splash out on a dynohub wheel. I want to use it on my
tourer which will be carrying camping kit. A few questions:

What's a good rim?

MA3 or Sun Rhyno Lite ? ?

36 hole?

More reliable than 32.

Schmidt hubs are the cats whikers?

Pass.

Double butted spokes are the way to go for strength?

For fatigue resistance. Triple butted (eg. DT Alpine III) are even
better - although probably won't be advantagous for a front.

~PB

Old January 21st 04, 11:05 AM
Clive George

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Richard Bates wrote:
I'm going to splash out on a dynohub wheel. I want to use it on my
tourer which will be carrying camping kit. A few questions:

What's a good rim?

MA3 or Sun Rhyno Lite ? ?

These are quite different rims - the rhyno lite is a heavier stronger one
like what people use on tandems. The MA3 is a 'lightweight clasic
road/audax/light touring rim', which may be a bit light for camping touring.
If going sun, CR18 is probably a better choice.
There must be a suitable mavic rim (what are the A319/A719 like?), but I
don't know the range. Also alesa (ask spa).

Schmidt hubs are the cats whikers?

Pass.

If you're willing to spend the money then yes. Otherwise the shimano one is
pretty good. I still don't like the sound of the one reviewed in the recent
CTC mag with gears inside.

Double butted spokes are the way to go for strength?

For fatigue resistance. Triple butted (eg. DT Alpine III) are even
better - although probably won't be advantagous for a front.

Probably no point with triple butted.

cheers,
clive

(we have one shimano NX-10 and 3 SONs now)

Old January 21st 04, 11:50 AM
MSeries

Clive George wrote:
"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Richard Bates wrote:
[...]

My tourer has Mavic Module 3 CD rims, they have been across the USA with
full camping kit. Sadly they don't seem to be available anymore.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old January 21st 04, 01:49 PM
Arthur Clune

Richard Bates wrote:
: I'm going to splash out on a dynohub wheel. I want to use it on my
: tourer which will be carrying camping kit. A few questions:

: 36 hole?

Yup for loaded touring

: Schmidt hubs are the cats whikers?

Indeed, though the Shimano ones are very good and half the price.
Their main disadvantage is a higher drag when then light is off.

: Double butted spokes are the way to go for strength?

Yup

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old January 22nd 04, 09:26 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Richard Bates wrote:

I'm going to splash out on a dynohub wheel. I want to use it on my
tourer which will be carrying camping kit. A few questions:

What's a good rim?
36 hole?
Schmidt hubs are the cats whikers?
Double butted spokes are the way to go for strength?

Personally I'd get one to match the back!

Anyway 36h should be adequate for the front, Schmidt hubs are the pig's
nads and DB spokes are as strong as plain gauge ones (spokes almost
always break at one end or the other, you see). One problem with DB
spokes is that they are more elastic, so if one does break the wheel
goes further out of true than with a PG spoke.

Old January 23rd 04, 12:22 AM
Pete Biggs

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

One problem
with DB spokes is that they are more elastic, so if one does break
the wheel goes further out of true than with a PG spoke.

DB spokes are more elastic on a small scale (to help reduce metal fatigue)
but I don't believe there's enough difference* once tensioned to make the
wheel go further out of true.

* with DB spokes with ends of same thickness as the PG. Might be
different with PG spokes of a much larger gauge.

~PB