Saddle recommendations

Old June 26th 04, 06:45 AM
aeek

Default Saddle recommendations

Nickzx6r wrote:
Fizik reckon it takes 100km to wear in. I reckon that's about right.

Just back from a Daytrip To Bungadore cafe ride, 104km door to door - so
it should be ready now. Once I get over the ride - its been months since
I did over 50 - I'll be able to tell.

Old June 27th 04, 05:15 AM
Peter S

I originally posted the query about saddles that there's been so many
ordered a Fizic Arione which I expect sometime next week. I almost bought a
Salle Italia Turbomatic 4 but went instead for a saddle I've only read about
and not even 'seen' for real. Fingers crossed. I came to realise that the
only way to know if any saddle is 'the one' is to put your dollars down and
try the thing for a few hundred k's and then see whether it's money well
spent or wasted. I did a 60km ride today in windy Perth (really windy -
didn't see many other riders out) and all I can say is I HAVE to find
something better!

I'll post to this group after I've done a few long rides on the Arione and
let you know what I think. Thanks for all the feedback to my query - it's
been interesting.

By the way the guy at the shop where I bought my bike (and have ordered the
saddle from) rides a San Marco Rolls - recons its the most comfortable seat
for him. I sat on his bike to try it and wanted to get off straight away.
It's pretty obvious that for all of the technology like gel, genuine gel,
titanium, carbon, etc. one size does not fit all. It's the one real variable
on any bike that is truly an individual taste.

Old June 30th 04, 07:00 AM
aeek

hippy wrote:
These Arione are getting a lot of press... what's the hype?

It comes in a really cool silver box !

Old June 30th 04, 07:45 AM
flyingdutch

aeek wrote:
It comes in a really cool silver box !

Do you remove the box before putting it on the bike?

Sans Marco Rolls here too. keep going back to it. Been eyeing off one of
them Ariones tho. Let us know how you go with it...

Old June 30th 04, 08:15 AM
hippy

flyingdutch wrote:
Do you remove the box before putting it on the bike?
Sans Marco Rolls here too. keep going back to it. Been eyeing off one of
them Ariones tho. Let us know how you go with it...

Spotted one on ebay for about $107 aussie. I'm not sure if the auction
had concluded yet or not. It'd be nice to buy one just to try it, but
I've got too many debts to pay off first..

Old June 30th 04, 08:29 AM
Bluenose

Hippy,

I just bought one last week and so far it's been excellent. Very
comfortable. They're about $180-190 in the LBS so buying one on eBay is
some what cheaper.

Cheers

Old June 30th 04, 11:15 AM
ProfTournesol

Peter S wrote:
I originally posted the query about saddles that there's been so many
have ordered the saddle from) rides a San Marco Rolls - recons its the
most comfortable seat for him. I sat on his bike to try it and wanted to
get off straight away. It's pretty obvious that for all of the
technology like gel, genuine gel, titanium, carbon, etc. one size does
not fit all. It's the one real variable on any bike that is truly an
individual taste.

I think that I know the answer to this question before I ask it, but I'd
like to hear if anyone else has come up with a different answer: short
of a trial and error process that may involve the purchase of many
saddles, how do you work out which is the right saddle for you? I have
used a Selle Bassano Modular saddle for 10 years - minimal padding but a
long horn and a split right down the saddle. I can adjust the saddle
width so it's just right for my botty etc. The point is, I'm getting a
second bike later this year, and the Bassano Modular is no longer
available. Is there any option to just making an informed guess at an
equivalent saddle? It doen't seem possible (for obvious reasons) to
'road test' 5 or six saddle for a month each.

Old July 1st 04, 03:45 AM
hippy

Originally posted by ProfTournesol The point is, I'm getting a second
bike later this year, and the Bassano Modular is no longer available.
Is there any option to just making an informed guess at an equivalent
saddle? It doen't seem possible (for obvious reasons) to 'road test' 5
or six saddle for a month each.

To coin a phrase from another thread, I think the only way is to "suck
it and see". Some bike shops will let you ride one and if you are not
happy with it, you can exchange it for another model. This might be the
best thing you can do.

I was thinking about this the other night and reckon there should be
regional a.b saddle swap meets, where people rock up and swap saddles,
ride around for a while and then swap for another one until they find
one that suits them. Then it's just a matter of buying the best one.

Old July 1st 04, 05:00 AM
Dominic Sansom

hippy wrote:
I was thinking about this the other night and reckon there should be
regional a.b saddle swap meets, where people rock up and swap saddles,
ride around for a while and then swap for another

one until they find one that suits them. Then it's just a matter of
buying the best one.

You may be on to something!!!!

There must be hundreds (thousands even) of painful, uncomfortable,
unridable saddles out there, just waiting for the right bum. I have one
in my "bike stuff box" that is a fantastic saddle... but is not quite
right for me.

How about a "saddle swap" thread?

Old July 1st 04, 05:30 AM
cfsmtb

Dominic Sansom wrote:
You may be on to something!!!!
There must be hundreds (thousands even) of painful, uncomfortable,
unridable saddles out there, just waiting for the right bum. I have one
in my "bike stuff box" that is a fantastic saddle... but is not quite
right for me.
How about a "saddle swap" thread?

LOL!!! Just remembering, Peter Moore had a rather horrid blue plastic
saddle, more like instrument of torture, for sale in his shop.

It was packaged up with a note of explanation with words to the effect
of it could turn your bottom a lovely shade of "Audax Blue" after a
couple of k's. Must check if it's still in the shop....

Saddle review martin Techniques 6 May 8th 04 02:52 AM
Frame Fit: Sit-Bones, KOPS, Saddle Setback, Stem Length (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 7 April 21st 04 10:41 PM
Possible Saddle Adjustment Needed? Tom Young Techniques 2 April 8th 04 05:41 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM