Dutch Bikes, Literally

Old November 4th 03, 01:01 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Default Dutch Bikes, Literally

I'm still scouring the market for a bicycle that has all the comfort and
safety features I want.

Two Saturdays ago I visited a dealer in the 16th Arrondissment who
specializes in Dutch bikes. He had several Giant bikes of the kind I'm
interested in: Nexus 7 or 8 speed shifters or SRAM DualDrives or Rohloff
shifters, Roller brakes or roller-V-brake combinations, hub dynamo
lights, full chain-guards, skirt guards, luggage racks, front baskets,
very low step-through, as light as possible under the circumstances.
Interestingly, these models of Giant were not on either of the two
catalogues 2003 or 2004 that I had taken home from previous research.

The dealer told me this was because this kind of model is not sold in
France. People who live in Paris intramuros want city-bikes, but don't
want to spend more than a couple hundred because the bikes are too
easily stolen if they have to be parked in the street. Consequently the
upmarket city-bike has a poor sales performance here. It requires a
garage with a private box, a suburban configuration, but suburbanites
seem to prefer VTTs, especially in hilly Essonne.

However, he told me he could procure me a "real" Dutch bike and showed
me some catalogues, which I have since followed up on the Internet.
There are 4 main producers:
www.union.nl
www.sparta.nl
www.gazelle.nl
www.batavus.nl

I fell in love with a bike by Union called the Oase. (Fortunately, it
turns out bike specs in Dutch are quite easy to understand.) According
to this dealer, these true Dutch bikes are much better quality than
their mass-market equivalents by Giant or similar. He said the finishing
was far better and that they were more aesthetic and durable. He had no
financial interest in maintaining this since the cost of the bikes was
very equivalent to the Giants he stocked and there would have to be a
special order.

Just wondering if anyone had experiences or comments to pass on these
makes. I remember a thread about marketing Batavus in the USA and how
many posters opined that there wouldn't be much of a market there
either. Are there no Dutch in the forum?

Elisa Francesca Roselli
Ile de France

Old November 4th 03, 02:16 PM
mark

"Elisa Francesca Roselli" wrote ..
snip
Just wondering if anyone had experiences or comments to pass on these
makes. I remember a thread about marketing Batavus in the USA and how
many posters opined that there wouldn't be much of a market there
either. Are there no Dutch in the forum?

Elisa Francesca Roselli
Ile de France

There is a Dutch cycling NG called nl.fiets. Maybe someone there could help?

At any rate, it seems that you have finally found a good LBS.
--
mark

Old November 4th 03, 03:48 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

mark wrote:

There is a Dutch cycling NG called nl.fiets. Maybe someone there could help?

Good suggestion. It may be rude to go in there speaking English but I expect
most posters would understand me.

At any rate, it seems that you have finally found a good LBS.

Unfortunately, the 16th Arrondissment is so far off local that the delivery from
there to my home will probably come to another 50 Euros or so. I am also
investigating the possibility of ordering from a dealer in Belgium (nearest
direct outlet) to have the bike shipped to my office as it could come out
cheaper.

EFR

Old November 4th 03, 04:13 PM
Robert Chung

[...]

I believe there's a bike shop that specializes in real Hollandais on rue
Diderot in the 12eme (Metro Reuilly-Diderot, near the intersection with
Crozatier). You might be able to see and ride such a bike there.

Old November 4th 03, 07:38 PM
peter

"Elisa Francesca Roselli"
wrote in message ...
I'm still scouring the market for a bicycle that has all the comfort and
safety features I want.

cut...

My wife has a Giant bike that comes with everything you describe except the
basket, which I easily fitted. Its the Giant SuXes 7. (That is how its
spelt)It has a seven speed Nexus hub, front and rear hub brakes, built in
rear lock, bright dynamo lights, chain and skirt guard, carrier you could
load an elephant onto, bell and so on..

She fell in love with Dutch style bikes when we were on holiday in Amsterdam
last year and after scouring everywhere we decided the Giant is the best
equipped and most durable. Its built like a tank and you won't win any races
on it as its heavy, but after a year of constant use and being jammed into a
shed overnights with the other bikes it still looks like new. The strange
thing is it was about half the price of the other Dutch bikes we looked at.

Theres a link to it in English at:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/uk/030...=78&model=9861

Its also on the Giant french site at:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr/030...=88&model=9907
hope this helps
peter

Old November 4th 03, 10:43 PM
Robert Chung

Robert Chung wrote:
[...]

Here's the web address:
http://www.hollandbikes.com/

Old November 4th 03, 11:25 PM
Peter Storey

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote in message ...
I'm still scouring the market for a bicycle that has all the comfort and
safety features I want.

Two Saturdays ago I visited a dealer in the 16th Arrondissment who
specializes in Dutch bikes. SNIP

The dealer told me this was because this kind of model is not sold in
France. People who live in Paris intramuros want city-bikes, but don't
want to spend more than a couple hundred because the bikes are too
easily stolen if they have to be parked in the street. Consequently the
upmarket city-bike has a poor sales performance here. It requires a
garage with a private box, a suburban configuration, but suburbanites
seem to prefer VTTs, especially in hilly Essonne.

SNIP

Elisa Francesca Roselli
Ile de France

The "real" Dutch bikes are truly magnificent, and I can sympathize
with your desire for one. Great finish, lots of accessories, total
comfort. Very classy and very classic.

But did you say "hilly Essonne"? The Oase is said to weigh almost
22kg (48 lbs). In fact, that is not terribly out of line for a
fully-equipped Dutch city bike, but it may explain why so few are sold
in France. How it is that an aluminum-framed bike can weigh that much
is still something of a mystery to me, but the same is true of the
Gazelle and Batavus offerings.

The 8-speed gearing on the Oase will probably get you up the hills,
but it will be VERY slow going. Unless you are planning to keep it in
Paris, are you sure this is the right style of bike for you? A hybrid
("loisir" or "VTC" as opposed to "Ville") might make a better choice,
even if you have to add some of the accessories yourself.

Also to consider: the Decathlon City 5 is said to weigh 4kg less than
the Oase, sells for one-third as much and is probably easier to get
hold of. Less a work of art, but also less of an investment. The
21-speed derailleur gearing may also offer some greater flexibility,
although it requires more careful maintenance.

Hope this helps,

Peter Storey
Old November 5th 03, 12:55 AM

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

: Unfortunately, the 16th Arrondissment is so far off local that the delivery from
: there to my home will probably come to another 50 Euros or so.

You can't ride it home?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old November 5th 03, 01:52 AM
Don Wiss

On 4 Nov 2003, (Peter Storey) wrote:

But did you say "hilly Essonne"? The Oase is said to weigh almost
22kg (48 lbs). In fact, that is not terribly out of line for a
fully-equipped Dutch city bike, but it may explain why so few are sold
in France. How it is that an aluminum-framed bike can weigh that much
is still something of a mystery to me, but the same is true of the
Gazelle and Batavus offerings.

My Batavus Legato weighs only 20.3 kg (44 2/3 lbs). See it at:
http://www.batavus.nl/2002/collectie...asp?bikeid=408

The 8-speed gearing on the Oase will probably get you up the hills,
but it will be VERY slow going.

You can change your rear cog wheel. Dutch bikes have the center gear to be
equivalent to a one-speed bike. I changed by rear cog wheel from 17 to 20
teeth. This moved the straight through position exactly one notch from gear
4 to gear 5. I could have gone more if needed. I do have a 21 cog wheel
here. Maybe when I get older I'll use it.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old November 5th 03, 02:55 AM
Bernie

mark wrote:

There is a Dutch cycling NG called nl.fiets. Maybe someone there could help?

Good suggestion. It may be rude to go in there speaking English but I expect
most posters would understand me.

At any rate, it seems that you have finally found a good LBS.

Unfortunately, the 16th Arrondissment is so far off local that the delivery from
there to my home will probably come to another 50 Euros or so. I am also
investigating the possibility of ordering from a dealer in Belgium (nearest
direct outlet) to have the bike shipped to my office as it could come out
cheaper.

EFR

Give most value to the shop that you can visit when necessary. Your
Frenchman sounds promising. You can see him/her for parts and tune
ups, and get looked after properly. I remember your earlier posts
about the shops charging for the simplest adjustments and not offering
any advice. Shame on them!

Anyway, my experience is, if you buy a bicycle, and are a faithful
customer, the bike shop will give you blue ribbon service. My shop
gives me discounts, calls as soon as the work is done, and the mechanic
makes simple adjustments (like tuning my brakes) without batting an eye.
Overall they are good to me, and mainly all I do is buy tires and tubes
and the occasional blinky, plus a tune up now and then.
Life is good. Ride on!
Bernie