Even other sports giants have to admit cycling is cool...

Old August 12th 03, 07:41 PM
Mark Hickey

Default Even other sports giants have to admit cycling is cool...

I had to share a quote from Randy Johnson - the Arizona Diamondback's
star pitcher (a mutant of a man at 6'10" / 2.08m). He's coming back
from some significant injuries, and is just starting to get into the
groove. He normally dominates the games he pitches, simply
overpowering the batters - but he's having to be more strategic and
work harder these days. After his last win (in which he had to work
VERY hard), he said:

"Sometimes I talk about baseball using golf metaphors. This was more
like the Tour de France. I was in the Pyrenees, and I was in 10th
gear the whole time. It was a battle.".

What next? A football wide receiver comparing himself to Cipo?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old August 12th 03, 07:52 PM
Ken

Mark Hickey wrote in
:
I had to share a quote from Randy Johnson

"Sometimes I talk about baseball using golf metaphors. This was more
like the Tour de France. I was in the Pyrenees, and I was in 10th
gear the whole time. It was a battle.".

I'm suprised that a baseball player could pronounce "Pyrenees"
Old August 13th 03, 09:34 AM
Raoul Duke

"Stergios Papadakis" wrote in message

Yeah.
http://www.parc-pyrenees.com/

Stergios

Not what he was referring to. I believe he was referring to his creative
rendition of the word surprised.

"I'm suprised that a baseball player could pronounce "Pyrenees""

Dave

Old August 13th 03, 06:44 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
(Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

I wonder if the Big Unit rides.

It wouldn't be hard to spot his bike in a crowd!

Bill Walton, the basketball player and now broadcaster, apparently is
a very keen cyclist. Keen enough to have written a book in the mid
'80s--with Bjarne Rostaing--which my Dad bought. Pops is a hoops fan,
so maybe that sold him the book...good thing it was also enormously
instructive with everything a novice cyclist (even nearly 20 years
later!) might find useful--from thoughts on gear (now useful when
looking for used bikes!) to training advice to history. Also some
really groovy pictures of what post-bike-boom bikiedom was like.

Yes, I have that book and it really WAS a pretty good entre into the
world of 80's cycling.

What next? A football wide receiver comparing himself to Cipo?

There are a lot of comparisons to be drawn...I always thought Deion
Sanders, when he was playing, was a lot like Cipo...

Good call - I don't know who'd win the ego points race, but it would
be epic.

I really think there are more similarities than differences between top
pro athletes in any sport. Amateurs, even the best world class ones (in
sports where there is no significant professional opportunity) come
across as rather different from the pro's in many cases.

--
David Kerber
An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good