cycling Sierra Nevadas

Old June 21st 16, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default cycling Sierra Nevadas

http://ktla.com/2016/06/20/mountain-...ught-on-video/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 21st 16, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-21 06:20, AMuzi wrote:
http://ktla.com/2016/06/20/mountain-...ught-on-video/

A literal case of hit and run :-)

There are some people in this NG who won't believe things like that. I
never saw a bear on my MTB but had a close call with a buck (of the mule
deer species). He rudely cut me off from behind at a 45 degree angle,
didn't even look at me and then just kept running. If it weren't for
hydraulic disc brakes we'd have crashed into each other.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 21st 16, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf
Old June 21st 16, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

Yeah, it's almost paradise out here. There aren't many places where you
get to enjoy vistas like this on the trail from Lotus to Folsom and they
can only be reached via MTB, hiking or some on horseback:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/...ronanTrail.JPG

Thinking about whether moving to the St.George area (Utah) would make
sense. A friend with similar ideas just scoped that out last week and
I'll get to ask him about it on a ride this week. Their MTB trails are
better but AFAICT roads have little to no bicycle infrastructure and I
wouldn't like that.

Old June 21st 16, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ahhhhh swinging St George UT

https://www.google.com/#q=36+hours+in+St+George+ut

https://goo.gl/hvDDFT
Old June 21st 16, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

Yeah, it's almost paradise out here. There aren't many places where you
get to enjoy vistas like this on the trail from Lotus to Folsom and they
can only be reached via MTB, hiking or some on horseback:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/...ronanTrail.JPG

Thinking about whether moving to the St.George area (Utah) would make
sense. A friend with similar ideas just scoped that out last week and
I'll get to ask him about it on a ride this week. Their MTB trails are
better but AFAICT roads have little to no bicycle infrastructure and I
wouldn't like that.

Most roads have little to no bicycle infrastructure -- at least the roads in rural America. I don't know why you think St. George would be any different.
It's not the Netherlands.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 21st 16, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

Yeah, it's almost paradise out here. There aren't many places where
you get to enjoy vistas like this on the trail from Lotus to Folsom
and they can only be reached via MTB, hiking or some on horseback:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/...ronanTrail.JPG

Thinking about whether moving to the St.George area (Utah) would
make sense. A friend with similar ideas just scoped that out last
week and I'll get to ask him about it on a ride this week. Their
MTB trails are better but AFAICT roads have little to no bicycle
infrastructure and I wouldn't like that.

Most roads have little to no bicycle infrastructure -- at least the
roads in rural America. I don't know why you think St. George would
be any different. It's not the Netherlands.

In our area (near Sacramento, CA) many roads do have a bicycle
infrastructure and this includes rural ones. Whenever a road section is
widened or restored from the ground up they put in bike lanes. Must be
some kind of law. For example, I use this road a lot and since they
provided wide enough shoulders and bike lanes the number of cyclists
there has substantially increased, including longhaul commuters:

https://goo.gl/maps/zL1zGuAvTwN2

This is also the road where, further down towards Folsom, a cyclist was
killed in the lane. Now there are bike lanes at that four-lane stretch
and she would still be alive had they been in back then.

Unfortunately that sometimes leads to a row of orphaned bike lanes but
that is still better than nothing.

Long story short I prefer areas that are not a step back WRT ease and
safety of bicycling versus where we live now. For me that's not just MTB
trails but I also want to be able to handle errands by bike like I do
now. I prefer not to have to ride in the lane a lot for that.

Old June 21st 16, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

[...]

Dude, get a spine. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...y_limits_1.jpg

In town: http://tinyurl.com/ze7kz6g This could be you: https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.V2mJ-NJrhD8

If those in-town roads are too daunting, you need to be in assisted living. Or Amsterdam, your choice.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 21st 16, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

[...]

Piece of cake, that sort of road I'd take any day and I do that a lot
here. This, OTOH, is absolutely not cool:

https://goo.gl/maps/tDXgBjBivPn

AFAIK it is the only connection between Hurricane and Colorado City. I
would not want to live in a big city like St.George but rather in
Hurricane next door.

In town: http://tinyurl.com/ze7kz6g This could be you:
https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.V2mJ-NJrhD8

Quote "I usually see three or four cyclists on my four-mile journey to
work. My vision for the community is to see hundreds".

Three or four cyclist over four miles is nothing. Folsom has shown how
that's done. By building bicycle infrastructure.

If those in-town roads are too daunting, you need to be in assisted
living. Or Amsterdam, your choice.

In town it's fine. The connectors between towns out there often are not.
Now if there is an alternate route via singletrack I am all ok with
that. This is how it is between here and Placerville, all singletrack
until you get to the outskirts of town. Then paved bike paths and in the
center of town those end, it spills you onto Main Street. Which is ok, I
ride that all the time.

What I absolutely can't stand are 55mph highways with no shoulder but
several saloons at either end.

Old June 21st 16, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-06-21 07:30, wrote:

https://goo.gl/ZyQCtf

[...]

Why would you ever be on UT-59 or go to Colorado City? Are you FLDS?

AFAIK it is the only connection between Hurricane and Colorado City. I
would not want to live in a big city like St.George but rather in
Hurricane next door.

If you move to Hur-a-kin, you are in for some serious culture shock (although not as much as Colorado City). Don't go looking for any brew pubs or growler stations -- and don't expect any sympathy about the lack of bike lanes.. Once off the main drag and away from the tourist traffic headed to Zion, life in small-town southern Utah is, well, unique. Rent before you buy.

-- Jay Beattie.

Schwinn Sierra sarvana2 Marketplace 0 August 15th 10 08:29 PM
SIERRA CYCLE ? datakoll Techniques 3 February 20th 10 04:32 AM
Sierra spring ride [email protected] Rides 10 June 9th 08 01:08 AM
Sierra Spring Tour [email protected] Rides 0 May 21st 07 10:37 PM
Sierra Club -- cycling is scary [email protected] General 46 January 24th 05 06:12 PM