WIPEOUT!

Old August 8th 16, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default WIPEOUT!

Duane wrote:
Ralph Barone wrote:
..and we continue on, with both camps fervently preaching to their choirs
(just like we always do). May I suggest to both groups here that if you
want to change somebody's opinion from 'A' to 'B', you need to start with
acceptance that some aspects of A are reasonable, and then gradually point
out the little things that make B such a nice place to live. Oh yeah, and
keep yourself open to the possibility that you could be completely wrong,
and have your opinion changed as a result of an open discussion.

This has been a public service announcement from Citizens For Actual
Thoughtful Discourse On Usenet.

Logic. Good luck with that.

I realize that I'm basically ****ing into the ocean in the hopes of
stopping the tide from going out, but sometimes you've just got to do
futile stuff.

Old August 8th 16, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 07:13:43 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2016 08:55:57 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
Another example of dangerous killer chemicals. That hydrogen
hydroxide oughta be banned. Think of the children!

That is dihydrogen-monoxide isn't it ?

Yep. The chemical formula is H2O, which transliterates into
dihydrogen-monoxide for 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen atoms. More
correctly, it's dihydrogen oxide, but that doesn't sound sufficiently
alarming. Dihydrogen oxide is the IUPAC approved naming convention
because it is possible to also have two oxygen bonds, as in hydrogen
peroxide, or more correctly, dihydrogen dioxide. It can also be
called hydric acid, but no sane person uses that designation:
http://goldbook.iupac.org

While the molecular structure water is H-O-H, it is not a hydrogen
atom bonded to a hydroxyl ion (or radical) as in H-OH which would be
hydrogen hydroxide. Sorry.

Deadly stuff and one might say multi-hazardous as either a surplus or
deficiency of the chemical will cause death.

Perpetrated in Santa Cruz:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax
http://www.dhmo.org

We return you now to whatever it was that we were discussing, lest we
all drown in the flood of trivia.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 8th 16, 06:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Sometimes the trivia is preferable :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 8th 16, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 18:13:47 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

We could be quiet about this or we could use this case to try
to get mandatory driving tests over the age of 75 or something.

California has something like that in place:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/about/senior/driverlicense/reexam
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcmath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/about/senior/driverlicense/drivetest
http://www.shouselaw.com/elderly-drivers.html
Basically, if you do something dumb while driving, that suggests that
your vision or driving abilities are in some way impaired, you get to
repeat the vision, written, and driving tests. It doesn't take much
to trigger a re-exam.

A friend, who was about 75 years old had a perfect driving record, but
somehow never could parallel park properly. When she hopped onto the
curve in front of a policeman, he issued a ticket, which required that
she get re-examined. Her license was suspended for a total of 5
weeks. Two weeks to get an appointment to take the exams, and 3 weeks
for the DMV to process her license reinstatement.

Seniors tend to have medical issues which require some rather nasty
drugs to treat. The result of driving under the influence of
prescription medicines is a very real problem. I recently had a taste
of what that was like when the doctor over prescribed several drugs
that dropped my blood pressure sufficient low that I was barely awake
and marginally functional. I asked friends for rides and took the bus
for about a week until the proper dosage was established and I became
more accustomed to the drugs.
http://www.cacriminalfirm.com/california-prescription-drug-dui-lawyer

In addition, California drivers over 70 are required to renew their
license every 5 years in person at a DMV office so that they can take
a mandatory vision test and possibly written and driving test if there
were any violations or accidents:
https://www.dmv.com/ca/california/senior-drivers
https://www.dmv.com/ca/california/drivers-license-renewal
20/40 corrected vision is the limit, which is fairly awful.

In other words, California takes a closer look at senior drivers,
while claiming to apply the same standards for seniors as younger
drivers. There are no mandatory driving tests based solely on age,
but most everything else seems to be what you might find acceptable.
You might want to suggest something similar to the Quebec authorities.

Old August 8th 16, 11:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

The guy that hit my friend is 79 and he turned into her without even
slowing. It's possible that this was caused by some age related malady. I
guess it's also possible that he was playing Pokemon Go. But it seems
logical to make sure that drivers aren't impaired by age.

--
duane
Old August 8th 16, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/7/2016 10:48 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 16:41:58 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

After the speed that Ridealot's cyclist survived -- 55kph! -- without undue
aftereffects, the most interesting thing in this thread, made dully
predictable by the usual AHZ, is Jeff Daniels' impenetrable crossword
puzzle just above this post. That's the measure of how wretched RBT has become,
that we look forward to an illiterate's mindless mutterings!

It's Gene Daniels. Hopefully, you are not confusing my incoherent
mutterings with his.

Are you an Oracle too ?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 8th 16, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

After the speed that Ridealot's cyclist survived -- 55kph! -- without undue
aftereffects, the most interesting thing in this thread, made dully
predictable by the usual AHZ, is Jeff Daniels' impenetrable crossword
puzzle just above this post. That's the measure of how wretched RBT has become,
that we look forward to an illiterate's mindless mutterings!

It's Gene Daniels. Hopefully, you are not confusing my incoherent
mutterings with his.

Are you an Oracle too ?

I hope not. I don't do any database programming:
https://www.oracle.com

In biblical times, oracles, prophets, and raving lunatics were
described as having "the hand of the lord is upon him". That meant
that any incoherent mutterings and strange actions could not possibly
be the result of human understanding and must therefore be coming from
god(tm). On this basis, the insane were well treated at the time as
they were assumed to be divinely motivated. Sir William Flinders
Petrie used this to gain access to the Egyptian pyramids by acting
insane by wearing a ballet tutu during his archaeological
investigations. Whatever works.

I would therefore advise caution when dealing with Gene Daniels. His
writings may seem incoherent, illogical, and cryptic, but they may
also be the word of god(tm), which should not be treated lightly.

Old August 8th 16, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

After the speed that Ridealot's cyclist survived -- 55kph! -- without undue
aftereffects, the most interesting thing in this thread, made dully
predictable by the usual AHZ, is Jeff Daniels' impenetrable crossword
puzzle just above this post. That's the measure of how wretched RBT has become,
that we look forward to an illiterate's mindless mutterings!

It's Gene Daniels.

Thanks. I know. I'm just rubbing the little asshole for an assault on my freedom of speech a couple of years ago (same reason I kick Frank Krygowski in the goolies every time I see him -- its an unforgivable offense), and for continuing assaults on the common tongue which ensures that we communicate rather than merely hit each other.

Hopefully, you are not confusing my incoherent
mutterings with his.

Impossible. You speak sense. You have the courtesy to take care that I understand your meaning clearly. For which blessing, thanks.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Andre Jute
Bring back eugenics!
Old August 8th 16, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/8/2016 10:59 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I would therefore advise caution when dealing with Gene Daniels. His
writings may seem incoherent, illogical, and cryptic, but they may
also be the word of god(tm), which should not be treated lightly.

Tsk! Philistines!

You don't recognize art when you see it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 8th 16, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 7:01:32 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/8/2016 10:59 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I would therefore advise caution when dealing with Gene Daniels. His
writings may seem incoherent, illogical, and cryptic, but they may
also be the word of god(tm), which should not be treated lightly.

Tsk! Philistines!

You don't recognize art when you see it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

By golly, Krygo has a sense of irony! Next we'll discover he's human.

All the same, the betting against discovering Daniels is human (rather than, say, a really incompetent robot) is still at intergalactic odds.

Andre Jute
Curioser and curioser

scratched rim after wipeout [email protected] Techniques 4 October 20th 08 04:59 PM
Wipeout Thread isaac steiner Unicycling 10 September 2nd 07 12:13 AM
Worst Unicyle Wipeout The UniSLAB Unicycling 21 July 11th 07 11:47 PM
holiday wipeout! krys UK 7 September 9th 05 12:20 AM
best wipeout at 'cross nationals [email protected] Techniques 0 December 15th 04 02:06 AM