Suggestions: Attaching rear rack to CF wishbone rear seat staytube

Old July 2nd 05, 02:58 PM
mstuartev

Default Suggestions: Attaching rear rack to CF wishbone rear seat staytube

Trying to add a light, traditional rear rack to a road bike w/Carbon Fibre
Wishbone type seat/stay tube
(I don't want to use a seat-post type rack... Just don't like the idea)

Link to bike:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rime/FeltF65-04.jpg

Upper part of seat tube is sort of ovoid in shape, so a large round clamp is
difficult. Don't really want to risk cinching a 'P' clamp on the CF, so at
the bottom, it would have to affix right near the drop out where the
aluminum starts again.

It's the top that has me stumped.
I've posted an inquiry to Oldmanmountain
Has anyone tackled this conumdrum before??

Old July 2nd 05, 04:02 PM

search for rear rack mount in tech archives and
DIY REAR RACK MOUNT

Old July 2nd 05, 04:48 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 08:58:31 -0500, mstuartev wrote:

Trying to add a light, traditional rear rack to a road bike w/Carbon Fibre
Wishbone type seat/stay tube
(I don't want to use a seat-post type rack... Just don't like the idea)

Link to bike:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rime/FeltF65-04.jpg

Upper part of seat tube is sort of ovoid in shape, so a large round clamp is
difficult. Don't really want to risk cinching a 'P' clamp on the CF, so at
the bottom, it would have to affix right near the drop out where the
aluminum starts again.

It's the top that has me stumped.

Easily done. Use p-clamps on the bottom, at the aluminum part, unless you
want to drill and tap the dropouts, which I would hesitate to do.
Besides, p-clamps will work fine there.

For the top, use an adapter that will allow you to attach the rack to the
brake bolt. These are fairly common. I even used to have one, but now
use p-clamps on the top (but I have a ti frame, so the carbon issues
aren't there).

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies

Old July 4th 05, 03:33 AM
Booker C. Bense

Old July 4th 05, 01:09 PM

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

Go to Carriers and Racks and then hit Rack fitting kits. This will
give you an idea of what is available. There is a monostay adaptor
kit. Big U clamp that fits around the wishbone. Also has pictures of
the rack strut that attaches to the brake bolt.

mstuartev wrote:
Trying to add a light, traditional rear rack to a road bike w/Carbon Fibre
Wishbone type seat/stay tube
(I don't want to use a seat-post type rack... Just don't like the idea)

Link to bike:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rime/FeltF65-04.jpg

Upper part of seat tube is sort of ovoid in shape, so a large round clamp is
difficult. Don't really want to risk cinching a 'P' clamp on the CF, so at
the bottom, it would have to affix right near the drop out where the
aluminum starts again.

It's the top that has me stumped.
I've posted an inquiry to Oldmanmountain
Has anyone tackled this conumdrum before??

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Rear rack which holds U-Lock? Gooserider General 10 June 30th 04 12:02 AM
rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM
Rear pannier rack for rear suspension MTB Julian Fox Techniques 6 September 11th 03 10:22 AM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM