My Ninth New Years Day Century

Old January 2nd 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

Default My Ninth New Years Day Century

After failing last year due to a mechanical problem after 49 miles (a
3" long piece of flange broke off one of the rims), I got back on
track today.

Temperatures in the Milwaukee area today were almost right at the
average for the day - low of 16F and high of 29F. Sun-up is at 7:23
and sundown at 4:28. There was a brisk wind, mostly out of the south,
with a threat of afternoon snow.

Because of the snow threat, I opted not to ride out 50 miles from home
but instead to come home for lunch and check out the snow situation.
Playing it safe on staying warm with temperatures at the a.m. low, I
wore my heavy lined leather shoes, and heavy gloves, together with
blue jeans, and a thin long-sleeved jersey, covered by a sweatshirt,
and then a heavy lined corduroy shirt.

I left a few minutes after 6:00 a.m., also wearing a reflector vest,
and using my headlight and flashing LED taillight. As usual, I opted
to ride into the wind, so I'd have a tailwind coming back. I went to
and through downtown Milwaukee and headed south on Kinnickinnic,
Packard, and Chicago Ave., stopping for breakfast after 9:00 a.m. at a
fast food place in South Milwaukee after 34 miles. I returned along
Lake Michigan to take better advantage of a tailwind in that
direction.

Just north of downtown around 10:40, something like 1000 people had
already gathered to watch or participate in the polar bear club's
annual noon-time splash in the Lake, or participate in the kite flying
event nearby. I got home about 12:30 with 70 miles for the day.

The snow was still more than 50 miles to the north, so I headed out
again a little after 1:00 p.m., having also changed into bike riding
shoes, which was much easier, to say nothing of more comforable than
the heavier non-cleated shoes. I rode south and east to I-43 at
Hampton, and turned around and returned home to Germantown. With a
couple extra twists and turns, I ended at 3:50 with 102 miles for the
day.

Old January 2nd 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 1, 6:15*pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
[...]

102 Miles in Milwaukee? I'm curious about your route. Do you use any
Milwaukee bike trails (i.e. "Oak Leaf"?)?

What's traffic like on your rides?

Happy New Year,
Cullen
Old January 2nd 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Jan 1, 7:34*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Cullen- Hide quoted text -

No bike paths today. Even when they're plowed, they tend to have more
ice than I care to confront, so until there's an extended warm spell,
I'll stay off of them, When they're clear, I use them, especially
from downtown Milwaukee to Whitefish Bay.

My route today: County Line Road from 153W to 142W (Fountain),
Fountain down to Main St., Main St. to Leon Terrace, Leon Terrace
becomes Bradley, which I took to Green Bay Rd, Green Bay to Good Hope,
Good Hope to the Milwaukee River Parkway, the Parkway to Hampton,
Hampton to Lake Dr., Lake Dr. to Lafayette, Lafayette to Farwell,
Farwell to Brady, Brady to Astor, misc streets through downtown,
ending on 1st, 1st to Kinnickinnic, Kinnickinnic to Packard, Packard
to Marquette (may be a name change en route), Marquette to Chicago,
turned around on Chicago.

There are other twists and turns and a slightly different route back,
but that's the heart of it. The roads from Germantown to Hampton are
my usual commuting route.
Old January 2nd 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bluezfolk

On Jan 1, 7:15*pm, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
[...]

My hats off to you. And BTW Happy New Year.

Eric

cycling only ninth! Dan Gregory Racing 3 April 19th 08 12:33 AM
No ninth New Years Day Century Ron Wallenfang Rides 0 January 1st 08 09:05 PM
Turn-of-the -century century riders [email protected] Techniques 10 April 28th 07 05:49 PM
They should have given him five years... RicodJour Racing 3 February 27th 06 01:04 AM
New Years Day century David Kerber Rides 6 January 8th 05 01:35 PM