Poll: Killfiling Laffatme

Old July 15th 10, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Default Poll: Killfiling Laffatme

Please indicate your choice, and don't make up a f#$*ing choice that
isn't listed below - just pick whatever's closest. Or not, and make up
your own and see if anyone else agrees with you. I vote #7.

Poll: Killfile Laffatme or not?

1. I never killfile anyone - it's a matter of principle, free speech,
and yada yada.

2. I never killfile anyone except you, Freides.

3. I use Google Groups and I can't killfile anyone.

4. I don't give a rat's ass about rbr, and therefore killfiling anyone
is too much trouble so I don't.

5. I agree with almost everything Laffatme says and would never
killfile him for that reason.

6. I don't agree with everything Laffatme says but it's no skin off my
nose to read his rantings, either, so no killfile.

7. I disagree with everything Laffatme says but I haven't killfiled him
and I can't explain why, either, except that I must be an idiot.

8. After reading this poll, I will killfile Laffatme immediately.

Old July 15th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Jul 14, 8:01*pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:
[...]

9. I never killfile anyone because I once told someone that killfiles
were for pussies and his reply was "plonk!".

I mean, why miss out on opportunities like that?
--D-y
Old July 15th 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
B. Lafferty[_3_]

On 7/14/2010 9:01 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

Truth hurts. I feel your pain. But, consider this:

"What’s clear is that Lance Armstrong commands a devotion from his fans
that is unmatched by any other sports star in memory. He’s more than a
hero to these people; he’s a savior. And to cancer people, of course, he
really is a kind of savior, if only by example. I get that. (And in
fact, I still give “It’s Not About the Bike” to my friends who get
diagnosed.) But his appeal goes way beyond the disease. He’s the only
cyclist ever to tap into mainstream American sports culture.

The die-hard Lance fan is typically a middle-aged male who discovered
(or rediscovered) cycling during his hero’s 1999-2005 Tour de France
reign. It’s a wholly different group of people from the geeky-misfit
kids who were drawn to the sport in the pre-Lance era, like the kid in
“Breaking Away” who digs bike racing because it is European, exotic and
obscure. The Lance fans are closer to the Dale Jr. crowd. …

Subtlety and nuance are lost on this crowd. They see nothing wrong — or
even boring — with their man’s relentless, grinding domination of the
world’s hardest bike race, or the fact that in seven years he seemed to
have suffered (by my count) exactly four bad days. They’re the breed of
sports fans who always root for the favorites: for the Yankees when they
were good, or the Dallas Cowboys in the ’80s. In “Breaking Away,” they
cheer for the college boys, not the Cutters.

With other sports stars, imperfect private lives and off-field
boorishness are acknowledged and forgiven. (Or at worst, ignored.) But
Lance is not permitted to have flaws. Which is why a sizable army of
fans seems to spend lots of time trolling the Webernets for any mention
of their lord. If there’s the slightest negative connotation towards
Armstrong, then boom! The comments section lights up.

Calm down, folks. It’s not the end of the world if your hero has a few
crashes, gives a ****y interview, or gets in a dust-up with his younger,
stronger, faster teammate. It’s part of the sport. Not everyone has to
love him, either. How he deals with it — and how you deal with it — is
what’s important."--Bill Gifford
Old July 15th 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni[_2_]

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message

: "What’s clear is that Lance Armstrong commands a devotion from his fans
: that is unmatched by any other sports star in memory.

snip

Dumbass -

I'm not a fan of LANCE, but I (and many others here) find your obsessiveness
with him to be very annoying.

The reason is that your reasons for posting all your stuff has a very
negative undertone. It's driven by negative energy and negative emotion. If
he's gonna go down, fine, but it doesn't give me any pleasure any more than
it gives me pleasure to see any other rider go down for cheating. I don't
revel in another person's misfortune. It's bad karma.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Old July 15th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

harden the **** up, bro. it's just text.

#3 (but also #6) for me.
Old July 15th 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

B. Lafferty wrote:
[...]

Alright, that's it - bye.

#8.

-S-

Old July 15th 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

Default Killfiling Laffatme

Steve Freides wrote:
[...]

Laff provides insight without all the boorish overtones, and that's ok with
me. I don't like the foul language used against Lance, its quite unnecessary
but this stuff is going to go forward and people are going to be talking
about it, so I would rather have a civil toned lawyer providing insight
instead of a bunch of Boorish thugs. Like the other guy said for crying out
loud, we are just reading text comments.

Old July 15th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

On Jul 14, 8:00*pm, "Kurgan Gringioni"
wrote:

I'm not a fan of LANCE, but I (and many others here) find your obsessiveness
with him to be very annoying.

+1
I don't know whether I'm a Lance fan or not, but he certainly does NOT
detract from my being a cycling fan.

DR
Old July 15th 10, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Betty[_2_]

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
I don't like the foul language used against Lance, its quite unnecessary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDpqupB5_cw

(The Dumas/Walker/Breuking/k rbr mp3 ref has been disappeared)

What killfiling achieves Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 19 May 6th 09 06:25 AM
A Little Poll Paul Richards UK 109 November 4th 08 12:41 PM
NOW Poll Michael Baldwin Racing 5 September 23rd 08 02:43 AM
Poll- KH or Nimbus, i want this money to go to good use, so plz do the poll! thx! Unisykolist Unicycling 21 April 24th 08 06:26 AM
laffatme for sale [email protected] Racing 0 December 2nd 05 06:57 AM