The last headlight you will ever need

Old March 27th 14, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default The last headlight you will ever need

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 08:29:42 -0400, Duane
wrote:

I would also love to find a good manual coffee grinder that didn't cause
an arm and a leg so if anyone has a link...

Methinks the problem is that you're searching for a "coffee grinder"
which implies motor power. The older term is a "coffee mill" which
will return more hits of the mechanical nature. Try googling for
"mechanical coffee mill" as in:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mechanical+coffee+mill&tbm=isch
As you mentioned, most are antiques, but there are some that look like
reproductions or are fairly new looking.

This looks interesting but might be difficult to attach to your
bicycle:
http://coffeeinated.com/equipment-reviews/new-hario-coffee-mill-canister-c-review/
Mo
http://www.coffeemakersglobal.com/manual-coffee-grinders/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 27th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

I would also love to find a good manual coffee grinder that didn't cause
an arm and a leg so if anyone has a link...

Methinks the problem is that you're searching for a "coffee grinder"
which implies motor power. The older term is a "coffee mill" which
will return more hits of the mechanical nature. Try googling for
"mechanical coffee mill" as in:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mechanical+coffee+mill&tbm=isch
As you mentioned, most are antiques, but there are some that look like
reproductions or are fairly new looking.

This looks interesting but might be difficult to attach to your
bicycle:
http://coffeeinated.com/equipment-reviews/new-hario-coffee-mill-canister-c-review/
Mo
http://www.coffeemakersglobal.com/manual-coffee-grinders/

Belt from left side of hub, up over rack, with pulleys on
rack edge, to your center of rack coffee mill:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...nginject-1.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 27th 14, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 28/03/14 03:00, Phil W Lee wrote:
John B. considered Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:51:03
+0700 the perfect time to write:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 21:52:24 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 21:47:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

600 watts:
http://www.econvergence.net/The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm
See bottom of page for the "400 watt grid intertie inverter". Sigh.

300 watts:
http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com

But can you do it for 8 hours a day, day in and day out? I really need
to power some tools on the boat I'm working on which is anchored out
in the harbour.

You should be able to power a reasonably respectable car alternator
with even a fairly modest wind turbine, which would seem ideally
suited to use on a boat.
That'll keep a decent 12v battery charged for either direct use, or
through an inverter if you need utility voltage for your tools.
I can't say that I remember using any power tools on boats when I used
to help out down at the yard in Brnham-on-Crouch though.

Car alternators are designed to be turned at relatively high speed
compared with a windmill.

The only option is to gear the windmill so that it turns the alternator
at much higher speed - but then efficiency suffers as power lost in the
gears.

There are better solutions.

--
JS
Old March 27th 14, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"somebody" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:18:57 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 3/25/2014 9:02 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:40:39 AM UTC-4, somebody wrote:
Now I have seen everything:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1/1...-3-mode-3200lm

Notice how close the light is to the beam shown? Notice the nice hot
spot on that beam? Over 6.75 inches wide (172mm) and it goes on your
handlebars?

Sounds and looks like a bunch of flashlights mounted together but not
giving a very useful beam pattern to see the road surface with.

In strobe mode that light will be most annoying to anyone approaching it
from in front.

I'd pass on it too.

Cheers

I wouldn't have to turn it on to reject it. I can't imagine mounting a
piece of junk like that on my bars.

But I think the OP's point was to be sarcastic, no?

Yes, I forgot the sarcasm header...

But is there one floating out there with even more LEDs?

Maybe a home brew light - you can get 5W GU10 units with 24 LEDs alleged to
equal a 40W halogen.

The 24 LEDs are in series, so you'd need an inverter to boost a convenient
battery supply to somewhere in the general direction of 100V.

Old March 27th 14, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/27/2014 12:19 PM, AMuzi wrote:

In the 1930s there were kits to use a Sturmey Archer dynohub powered by
a windmill to charge batteries and run DC auto lamps for farm lighting.

Interesting. Seems it wouldn't have to be anything as rare as a
Dynohub. I'd think a regular bottle generator salvaged from a junk
store bike could do that job.

But today, unless a person's off the grid, it's far easier to just run
another wire at standard voltage.

Related: In the British online magazine The Engineer, one person
responding to an article pointed out that our current approach to LED
lights might be all backwards. LEDs typically need about 3 or 4 volts;
but modern LED replacement bulbs take either 110 V or 220 V and
internally convert it down to something the LEDs can use. That has to
add to the cost of those $20 bulbs.

This guy pointed out that in new construction, at least, it might make
more sense to run low voltage circuits to each room, circuits tailored
to LED lighting. That would make it easier to incorporate solar inputs,
or low-tech wind inputs.

I haven't tried to work out the economics, but it sounds like an
interesting possibility.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 28th 14, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 08:29:42 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 3/27/2014 7:46 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:31:25 +1100, James
wrote:

On 27/03/14 11:56, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:22:45 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 3/26/2014 12:29 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Hmmm... I haven't seen any bicycle powered can openers, but I suppose
one could be designed. Speed reduction seems to be the major problem,
so I would suggest an outboard worm gear, driving a sprocket, with the
power transmitted to the can opener via a speedometer cable. I'm not
sure there's a market, but if you label it "high efficiency" and
"ecologically correct", it should bring in some sales.

You need to work on a bicycle driven coffee grinder. For bicycle
tourists without access to electric power the present options suck
because the manual grinders are extremely slow. Contrary to what was
shown in the movie City Slickers, there are no battery powered coffee
grinders. The closest I've come is this:
http://nordicgroup.us/bikecoff/bcimages/batterygrinder.JPG but this
12VDC grinder has been discontinued.

My goodness but you Americans seem so inapt. One can easily pound
coffee beans into a powder with a mortar and pestle. Just like the old
folks used to. But of course, you probably can't figure out how to
operate one of those.

I do use a hand powered can opener though, and have never owned an
electric can opener.

Years ago, being the dotting husband that I am :-) I bought my wife an
electric can opener. She tried it a few times and put it away and went
back to the manual can opener. I can only assume that the manual
opener worked better for some reason.

Probably useful for people with arthritis or something. Easy enough to
find a manual one that works well these days. Not like the old stab and
cut ones.

I would also love to find a good manual coffee grinder that didn't cause
an arm and a leg so if anyone has a link...

Try http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=289750
they list several in the 10 - 30 dollar range.

Of course you throw confusion into the game with your demand that they
must be "good". Can't you be happy with the plastic junk that others
find so appealing?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 28th 14, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

John B. considered Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:46:00

wrote:

[...]

They generally do, until you get arthritis in your wrists or hands.
I regard the electric ones as a disability aid, much like "golf"
buggies or lifts/elevators/escalators in buildings with less than 10
storeys - fine for those who actually NEED them, but most people need
the exercise far more.

Of course the reason for the lack of interest in can openers is the
fact that we so seldom eat anything that is not fresh :-) A survey of
the kitchen turns up only some canned fruit that was apparently bought
because it is currently "out of season" and is not, at the moment,
available in the market.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 28th 14, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

600 watts:
http://www.econvergence.net/The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm
See bottom of page for the "400 watt grid intertie inverter". Sigh.

300 watts:
http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com

But can you do it for 8 hours a day, day in and day out? I really need
to power some tools on the boat I'm working on which is anchored out
in the harbour.

You should be able to power a reasonably respectable car alternator
with even a fairly modest wind turbine, which would seem ideally
suited to use on a boat.
That'll keep a decent 12v battery charged for either direct use, or
through an inverter if you need utility voltage for your tools.
I can't say that I remember using any power tools on boats when I used
to help out down at the yard in Brnham-on-Crouch though.

Like all the other "green" devices to keep a battery bank charged they
work, sort of. If you have the wind charger, and the solar panels, and
the engine driven generator, the system becomes much more reliable.

If you never used power tools in the boat yard than I'm surprised. I
can't imagine, say sanding the topsides of a 40 - 50 ft. boat prior to
painting, by hand. Or doing a really mirror like paint job without a
spray gun :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 28th 14, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:25:40 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I suspect that the economics would show that the cost of copper would
probably negate any savings in light bulbs. After all the advantage of
the 220 VAC system is that the wires are half the size.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
What headlight do I need? Schorschi Techniques 103 December 5th 05 05:44 PM
Have you seen this (LED) Headlight? [email protected] General 1 November 21st 05 04:53 PM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM