New B&M 100lux headlight.

Old December 16th 17, 11:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

James wrote:
On 16/12/17 13:59, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 7:14:57 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 14/12/17 17:04, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

-- JS

oops forgot to answer questions. The ray trace is from design
software called Zemax. Every other ray trace has some red center.
This beam is so even that it has early no red anywhere.

The Nasa Lunar Resource Prospector development unit has a few
Oculus mounted on it in a layout that resulted from trial and
error til we made a light field with virtually no variation in
the region the robot "sees". The light field dimensions aren't
public info so can't say, but you can probably make a rough guess
from the picture. The new Roverscape indoor area with synthetic
lunar "soil" and "moonrocks" is mores secure than they can get me
a clearance for. Latest update is they're moving ahead with
their algorithms based on how my lights light up the region for
the vehicle's cameras. Maybe once this baby sends back the first
pics of the Dark Side (small south polar region) of the moon, an
aerospace giant will buy up my patent and I'll finally get to
cash in instead of scraping away with a flashlight and bike light
industry that doesn't like new guys or technology that would make
them change their tooling and infrastructure.

You could try to reply to the message where I asked these
questions.

If I could find your original mixed in a few days of digest, else,
here's your reply, stop being an asshole about it.

Learn to use a newsreader software, spammer -- and take your meds!

A ray trace projected on to a surface perpendicular to the light
source is not representative of how the light will be used in the
real world. Hence, your picture is of no practical use.

All beams are designed to ray traces. You also have that picture
from the NASA grounds showing the beam on ground. "Hence" go ****
yourself and you bull**** character attacks. Stay the **** on topic
here of get the **** off this forum.

That's very cute, Barry Shortfuse. AFAIR, and still expressed in the
subject line, the topic of this rbt thread was Bumm's two-year old IQ-X lamp
which Barry is not nearly as familiar with as one could expect from a
normally functioning small competitor.

I thought I was fairly clear, but obviously still misunderstood. I'm
sure B&M use ray tracing light simulation software too, however their
beams are shown with the light mounted at the fork crown and projected
on to a surface that is representative of the light on a road. See here;

https://www.bumm.de/en/technologie-detail-en/iq-iq2-iq-premium-41.html

Investing just the cost of two Fedex parcels if he's too paranoid for USPS,
Barry could, for years, have gotten these kinds of graphics and their "wall"
measured versions for his actual product. Though Jeff's simplified method
of expensive "road brightness" measurements from the rider's eye position
still seems advantageous for user purposes, given a camera providing
sufficiently realistic data.

They also have real world beam shots, but of course no competitor's
lights for comparison. Note that the headlight I have illuminates the
wall in their photo out to 45m ahead.

Butbutbut the Real Athlete's question is: Can it overpower the horribly
distracting shadows under your tired eyes that your bike is producing in the
powerful beams from your RAAM support vehicle closely following?

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/produkt/1752qsndi.html?

Except for the grassy, uneven ground that does hide beam defects that can
more easily be spotted on tarmac, this is an okay six-in-one comparison of
battery Bumms with Philips and Supernovae:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81RNDIsaUJL._SL1600_.jpg

Now you resort to colourful language, insults and such. Well, you
certainly know how to self destruct!

Alternatively, he could just "pull" his latest, what, fifty? usenet and
forum posts. How much TNT do you need for the job, Barry?

--
"Pretend to have learned the rules like a pro, then pretend to be a master
artist breaking them."
Old December 16th 17, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 16/12/17 05:34, James wrote:
On 16/12/17 13:59, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 7:14:57 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 14/12/17 17:04, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 2:34:34 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
https://www.bike24.com/p2144878.html

-- JS

oops forgot to answer questions. The ray trace is from design
software called Zemax. Every other ray trace has some red center.
This beam is so even that it has early no red anywhere.

The Nasa Lunar Resource Prospector development unit has a few
Oculus mounted on it in a layout that resulted from trial and
error til we made a light field with virtually no variation in
the region the robot "sees".Â* The light field dimensions aren't
public info so can't say, but you can probably make a rough guess
from the picture. The new Roverscape indoor area with synthetic
lunar "soil" and "moonrocks" is mores secure than they can get me
a clearance for.Â* Latest update is they're moving ahead with
their algorithms based on how my lights light up the region for
the vehicle's cameras. Maybe once this baby sends back the first
pics of the Dark Side (small south polar region) of the moon, an
aerospace giant will buy up my patent and I'll finally get to
cash in instead of scraping away with a flashlight and bike light
industry that doesn't like new guys or technology that would make
them change their tooling and infrastructure.

You could try to reply to the message where I asked these
questions.

If I could find your original mixed in a few days of digest, else,
here's your reply, stop being an asshole about it.

A ray trace projected on to a surface perpendicular to the light
source is not representative of how the light will be used in the
real world. Hence, your picture is of no practical use.

All beams are designed to ray traces.Â* You also have that picture
from the NASA grounds showing the beam on ground.Â* "Hence" go ****
yourself and you bull**** character attacks. Stay the **** on topic
here of get the **** off this forum.

I thought I was fairly clear, but obviously still misunderstood.Â* I'm
sure B&M use ray tracing light simulation software too, however their
beams are shown with the light mounted at the fork crown and projected
on to a surface that is representative of the light on a road.Â* See here;

https://www.bumm.de/en/technologie-detail-en/iq-iq2-iq-premium-41.html

They also have real world beam shots, but of course no competitor's
lights for comparison.Â* Note that the headlight I have illuminates the
wall in their photo out to 45m ahead.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/produkt/1752qsndi.html?

Now you resort to colourful language, insults and such.Â* Well, you
certainly know how to self destruct!

The beam patterns are certainly representative of the real world in my
experience. There is a close is 'flood' area, with a much narrower
'far' beam, and a noticeable dip between them. Imho, the close in flood
is actually too wide, being over a meter to each side, I personally
don't need to see what's going by! Also, the cutoff (SVTzO) is very
noticeable against other torch/non-SVTzO lights I see about, especially
when oncoming :-(

Some people don't like it. I can imagine crossing the high sierras
between sunset and sunrise you would want a much lazier beam to pick out
the drop bears high in the trees, but in any sort of lit/unlit urban
environment it's a must.

Old December 16th 17, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 20:53:33 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 10:00:01 PM UTC-5, Oculus Lights wrote:
[...]

I see that you are running true to form as others on many other forums warned about.

After reading many of the threads on some ofthose forums there's absolutely no way I'd ever buy one of your lights. I also advise other toreadother forums and see for themselves how you don't care for your customers. **** man, you've even posted a person's private phone number on a forum.

REC Bicycles Tech users, BEWARE buying anything from Barry Beams lest you too get stung.

Cheers

Didn't I read somewhere that Usenet was not intended for commercial
posting, advertisement and other such activity was frowned on?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 16th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 8:53:39 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Well, Frank bought one, and I would like to hear his unbiased review. I have to admit, though, that there are aspects of the design/logo/website that scream home-brew -- which goes to show you how much window-dressing makes a difference these days, often for the worse. There are a lot of lipstick wearing pigs these days. But if I were running the company, I'd spend a few bucks on graphics and product design.

The fit and finish of my L&M for example is impressive. The battery life on my little Urban 800 is not impressive, and the beam is adequate for my purposes but it is certainly no trail light. I would want something more robust for a full speed descent of HWY 9. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=lpFCHTcAaEI (I used to descend that at night full speed . .. . in an ambulance. Never on a bike.) On the Urban, beam shaping is non-existent, but I do like the pulse flash for non-injurious conspicuity. For a sale-table light of $49, it was a great deal and fine for daily commuting. A multiple setting, high lumen light with long battery life and a reasonably shaped beam would be great. I leave it to others to decide whether the Oculus is that light.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 16th 17, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/16/2017 12:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 8:53:39 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

REC Bicycles Tech users, BEWARE buying anything from Barry Beams lest you too get stung.

Well, Frank bought one, and I would like to hear his unbiased review.

I posted one on 3/5/2017, 9:08 PM.

As it turns out, I'm not using the light. Anyone interested in it can
email me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 16th 17, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 15:34:07 +1100, James
wrote:

They also have real world beam shots, but of course no competitor's
lights for comparison. Note that the headlight I have illuminates the
wall in their photo out to 45m ahead.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-scheinwerfer/produkt/1752qsndi.html?

On the above page is a photo:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium.jpg
One look at the nearly perfect columns and the rather odd road
surface, and I immediately suspected that there's been some serious
editing. If you look at the EXIF data with the photo with your
favorite photo editor, it includes:

Filename - 80 Lux - Ausleuchtung IQ-Premium.jpg
Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D800
Software - Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
DateTime - 2017-08-25T15:13:11+02:00
Artist - Thomas von der Heiden
Copyright - musikfotografie.de
etc...

So, it's a professionally done photograph edited with Photoshop,
possibly to "add" the columns as well as the obvious distance markers.
My guess(tm) is that this was originally taken outdoors on a proper
road surface, and the markers, columns, ceiling, and road surface were
all Photoshopped.

Enlarging the "wall" ahead shows that it's a very large white bed
sheet, suspended perfectly from something in the ceiling, with the
lower edge laying perfectly flat on the pavement. The lanes in
Germany are about 3.7 meters wide, so the white bed sheet would need
to be about 10 meters long and 4 meters high. The light on the bed
sheet shows no shadows from the "folds" in the bed sheet.

The light area near the base of the columns is really odd. I would
expect the intensity to fade (following inverse square law) into the
distance. It doesn't.

The distance markers seem to show that the distance between columns is
5 meters. That works up to the 20 meter marker, but fails in the
distance, where the spacing works out to more like 10 meters between
columns.

I would expect to see something lit up in the distance beyond the
columns. Nope. The light stops dead in it tracks after passing the
columns.

Methinks the entire photo is a Photoshop fake.

When I tried to false color the lighting on the roadway, the results
were rather weird and did not look like anything I've ever seen on any
of the other photos (mostly from Peter White's site) that I've
tinkered with. I'm not sure, but it's possible that even the lighted
roadway area was tweaked. I'll post something later today. I'm
playing with the newer ImageJ2 and want to write some better
instructions.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 16th 17, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/12/17 04:06, jbeattie wrote:
On the Urban, beam shaping is non-existent, but I do like the
pulse flash for non-injurious conspicuity.

Conspicuity or discombobulation?

--
JS
Old December 16th 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/12/17 06:40, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/16/2017 12:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 8:53:39 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

REC Bicycles Tech users, BEWARE buying anything from Barry Beams lest
you too get stung.

Well, Frank bought one, and I would like to hear his unbiased review.

I posted one on 3/5/2017, 9:08 PM.

As it turns out, I'm not using the light. Anyone interested in it can
email me.

Is that May 3 or March 5?

I found it eventually.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.bicycles.tech/PT4q4iIboYo

--
JS
Old December 16th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

Really? I can see three distinct panels of whatever the material is.

The light area near the base of the columns is really odd. I would
expect the intensity to fade (following inverse square law) into the
distance. It doesn't.

What if the focus of the light increased the intensity following the
same law?

The distance markers seem to show that the distance between columns is
5 meters. That works up to the 20 meter marker, but fails in the
distance, where the spacing works out to more like 10 meters between
columns.

I think the 5m distance marker should be nearer the camera, and yes I
think they are misleading, but I count at least 6 spaces, and assuming
at least 7m between posts gives a minimum of 42m. As we can't see as
much detail at the far end and we don't know where metre zero is
precisely, 45m is likely not far off.

How far is this?
https://www.action-kids.com/smsimg/12/482-0-full-80-lux---iq-premium-12.jpg

There is also "stuff" off to the sides in the dark that I can see, and
there is detail in the ceiling that a photo shopper wouldn't normally
bother with. It's likely to me they photo shopped the distance markers
only, and perhaps didn't get them in precisely the right locations.

I would expect to see something lit up in the distance beyond the
columns. Nope. The light stops dead in it tracks after passing the
columns.

There is stuff visible in the shadows and shadow lines on the floor past
the posts. Do you have your glasses on?

Methinks the entire photo is a Photoshop fake.

When I tried to false color the lighting on the roadway, the results
were rather weird and did not look like anything I've ever seen on any
of the other photos (mostly from Peter White's site) that I've
tinkered with. I'm not sure, but it's possible that even the lighted
roadway area was tweaked. I'll post something later today. I'm
playing with the newer ImageJ2 and want to write some better
instructions.

I doubt they would go to the extent of all that fakery. Much easier to
set up the lights and take a photo. I think you're trying to pick holes
for the hell of it.

But regardless of all that suspicion, the photos are there to illustrate
the difference between many of their lights. They show the beam shapes,
illumination on a road-like surface, and expected range.

If it didn't reach about 45m, don't you think there would be an
outpouring of criticism and such on the internet?

--
JS
Old December 16th 17, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:06:53 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
I would expect to see something lit up in the distance beyond the
columns. Nope. The light stops dead in it tracks after passing the
columns.

Original photo:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium.jpg
I was wrong. There really is some detail in the dark areas beyond the
columns. I did some contrast and gamma tweaking with Irfanview, which
brought out some detail:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygo-Premium/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium%20-%20contrast-adjusted.jpg
So, it might be real, where the Photoshop job removed all the expected
floor debris, ceiling hangers, and column fasteners which I would
expect in such an underground garage. Or, the background might have
been borrowed from a Poser or DAZ 3D libraries. I'm sure the photo
was edited, but I don't know to what degree.

Would you buy a headlight from a company that fakes their demo/test
photos?

Drivel:
"Real or Photoshop?"
https://landing.adobe.com/en/na/products/creative-cloud/69308-real-or-photoshop/
I got 14 out of 25 correct with quite a bit of guessing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

The last headlight you will ever need somebody[_2_] Techniques 115 April 28th 14 02:12 AM
Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
FS: L&M ARC HID headlight Zach Marketplace 0 February 13th 08 08:25 PM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM