What color lenses for sunglasses?

Old August 2nd 05, 11:36 PM
Pat

Default What color lenses for sunglasses?

After reading the discussion of sunglasses, I decided to stop in and 'test
drive' some Rudy Project models. The salesman kept urging me to buy "racing
red" lenses if I could only afford one pair of lenses. I think they all
come with gray lenses, but he was telling me the red ones were the best for
all-around use.

Any opinions on this color? I have just used gray for every day and yellow
for overcast days.

Pat in TX

Old August 3rd 05, 12:10 AM
maxo

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:36:39 -0500, Pat wrote:

I have just used gray for every day and yellow
for overcast days.

I've always been a fan of brown. Not the most attractive colour--but it's
nice on both sunny and overcast days. Seems to up the contrast, and the
colour reproduction, while not natural, makes everything seem handsomely
burnished.
:P

Old August 3rd 05, 12:13 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:36:39 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

After reading the discussion of sunglasses, I decided to stop in and 'test
drive' some Rudy Project models. The salesman kept urging me to buy "racing
red" lenses if I could only afford one pair of lenses. I think they all
come with gray lenses, but he was telling me the red ones were the best for
all-around use.

Any opinions on this color? I have just used gray for every day and yellow
for overcast days.

I have two pairs of glasses with a similar color (slightly lighter)
and they're very useful. And I have one pair of brown lenses a little
darker than Rudy Racing Red which I use a lot too.

I think the salesman is right -- if you had to have just one color for
sports that's it.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 3rd 05, 02:59 AM
Frank Drackman

"Pat" wrote in message
After reading the discussion of sunglasses, I decided to stop in and 'test
drive' some Rudy Project models. The salesman kept urging me to buy
"racing
red" lenses if I could only afford one pair of lenses. I think they all
come with gray lenses, but he was telling me the red ones were the best
for
all-around use.

Any opinions on this color? I have just used gray for every day and yellow
for overcast days.

Pat in TX

I thought that racing red was silly so purchased additional yellow and the
real dark lenses. I didn't try the red lenses for a out a year but when I
did I realized that they almost never come out. That dark are great for
real sunny days on rides without much shade and the yellow are perfect for
rainy days but the red are great for most rides.

Old August 3rd 05, 03:29 AM
41

Pat wrote:

Any opinions on this color? I have just used gray for every day and yellow
for overcast days.

Be careful about yellow and similar colours as these can make yellow
lines appear white. I almost learned this the hard way while driving on
what turned out to be the wrong side of the road. Test before use.

Old August 3rd 05, 07:17 AM
Derek Hodges

Pat wrote:
After reading the discussion of sunglasses, I decided to stop in and 'test
drive' some Rudy Project models. The salesman kept urging me to buy "racing
red" lenses if I could only afford one pair of lenses. I think they all
come with gray lenses, but he was telling me the red ones were the best for
all-around use.

Any opinions on this color? I have just used gray for every day and yellow
for overcast days.

Pat in TX

I believe the theory is that red lenses provide sharper vision
(something to do with different light wavelengths). I use my red lenses
a lot, but I find that gray is more comfortable on really bright days.

Derek Hodges
Old August 3rd 05, 07:10 PM
m alexander

I have been wearing brown for about 15 yrs. Contrast is
increased and the scenery colors are more vivid.

m alexander
Old August 4th 05, 08:11 AM
smokva

"Pat" wrote:
After reading the discussion of sunglasses, I decided to stop in and 'test
drive' some Rudy Project models. The salesman kept urging me to buy "racing
red" lenses if I could only afford one pair of lenses. I think they all
come with gray lenses, but he was telling me the red ones were the best for
all-around use.

Any opinions on this color? I have just used gray for every day and yellow
for overcast days.

I have Rudy Project sunglasses with 3 different set of lenses and i always use
"racing red".
When I saw the subject, before I saw your text I wanted to reccomend you Rudy
with racing red )

Old August 7th 05, 06:26 PM
Bob

I've always been a fan of brown. Not the most attractive colour--but it's
nice on both sunny and overcast days. Seems to up the contrast, and the
colour reproduction, while not natural, makes everything seem handsomely
burnished.
:P

I like brown since it tends to enhance contrast, and enhance the green
component of the image. The key thing IMO, is to make sure that whatever
color you get, you can see traffic lights properly.

If you can, get some interchangeable lenses. I use brown (sunny) , clear
(near dark) or yellow/orange (foggy/overcast).

Bob