bike season over...

Old December 16th 05, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default bike season over...

On 15 Dec 2005 17:29:24 -0800, "Gary Smiley"
wrote:

Bike season over?
Not a chance!
Check this out: http://www.crw.org/gallery/snowride2003.htm
- Gary

Joe Canuck wrote:
...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.

That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
challenged. :-D

Boy, I bet that increases rolling resistance. Much more than the
density of the air (from another thread).
Old December 16th 05, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Joe Canuck wrote:

...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.

That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
challenged. :-D

Boy, I bet that increases rolling resistance. Much more than the
density of the air (from another thread).

As one of the riders in the shot (large person in natty yellow knickered
outfit), I'd have to say it was a little misleading in that it was taken
in an unplowed parking lot, and so really showed worst-case conditions
for that day. That said, we went on to do a 20 mile ride after that
picture. As I recall it was a little sketchy, but not too bad.

As snow deepens, it does get rapidly much harder to plow through. Narrow
tires offer much less resistance, but are less stable on ruts and packed
snow areas, the density of the snow has a lot of effect also.

With proper equipment and some caution, it's possible to continue riding
all winter in snowy climates (at least here in the Boston area) -- it's
actually a lot of fun.
Old December 16th 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Roger Zoul wrote:

It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

Well I don't know that I would like to use the metric system for speed,
but when I was checking into new components for my bike, I measured the
weight of the current parts on my shipping scale which has a switch to
select either grams or ounces. Most parts have their weight in grams. So
now I have learned to convert grams to ounces and vise versa. I never
had to do THAT before. Or maybe I did and I don't remember.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

Old December 16th 05, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:53:27 -0500, Ken M wrote:

Most parts have their weight in grams. So
now I have learned to convert grams to ounces and vise versa. I never
had to do THAT before. Or maybe I did and I don't remember.

I've messed around converting kilos into ounces and ounces into grams.

Fahrenheit makes more sense to my senses but KmH sure looks better on
my cycloputer.

Repetitively working with lightweight material it's amazing how
precise our bodies are at consistently guesstimate weight. By picking
up a sheet of balsa wood I was able to accurately gauge its density in
pounds per cubic foot.
--
zk
Old December 16th 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

what does THIS button do? wrote:

It's a talk.bizarre affectation i picked up in the early 90's.

Interesting. I always thought it started with AFU.

RFM

Old December 17th 05, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken M wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:

It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just
being not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

Well I don't know that I would like to use the metric system for speed,
but when I was checking into new components for my bike, I measured the
weight of the current parts on my shipping scale which has a switch to
select either grams or ounces. Most parts have their weight in grams. So
now I have learned to convert grams to ounces and vise versa. I never
had to do THAT before. Or maybe I did and I don't remember.

It really comes down to, what your used to, speeds are easy, 16km/h =
10MPH, 10km/h = 6 1/4MPH from that you can figure out any number you
like. I am probably 3/4 metric now, for distance and speed, km and km/h
are more meaningful now, even though I learned "imperial" measure in
school. I still remember the ad slogan say goodnight to Fahrenheit,
when it was replace by Celsius here in Canada in the 1970's.

I had a photographic darkroom in the late 1970's and that was always
metric measure, but imperial temperature. These days about the only
thing I think of, in imperial, is weights at work, because the company
uses pounds instead of Kg, something that will eventually change, as
more people come from other countries, and children are taught metric
instead of imperial measure, will find it hard to understand. What is
interesting is some things are metric, even when you don't ask them to
be. For example, if I go to the deli, and ask for 1lb of ham, they may
have the price in pounds, but they will also have the price in kg or
often 100g increments, and that is the legal price, keyed into their
scale which is in 100g units.

I think the US will eventually go metric, but will probably take 10
times as long, it will cost 100 times as much, and require 1000 times
the number of Bureaucrats to implement.

Old December 17th 05, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I dunno, I think we got at least 25 cm here in Ottawa, and I was able
to ride (cars have their usefulness, compacting the snow down with
their tires). While I wasn't commuting I do know a few folks that did,
and they all made it back home safely.

Mark (who rides year-round, though admittedly prefers very cold days
and dry roads over just-below-freezing snow-covered roads)

http://drumbent.com

Old December 18th 05, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

The Wogster wrote:

I think the US will eventually go metric, but will probably take 10
times as long, it will cost 100 times as much, and require 1000 times
the number of Bureaucrats to implement.

1000 bureaucrats = 1 kilocrat ?

Old December 18th 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

That remind's me, I got to start looking for sone cheap MTB street tires
to "stud".

Thanks §:-3)

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old December 18th 05, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Metrically challenged"?

Not if you've been working with bikes all your life. I sometimes have to
think a minute when imagining something measured in inches or feet.

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
May 6 NYC NBG Day to Honor Fallen Bike Activist Cycle America General 0 April 11th 05 04:15 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM