"Cycling as a mass form of transport is pure fantasy"

Old February 27th 08, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
calum

Default "Cycling as a mass form of transport is pure fantasy"

....said the blinkered doctor.

See :

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/...re_fantasy.php

or

http://tinyurl.com/2og82j

Calum
Old February 27th 08, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 27 Feb, 13:17, calum wrote:
...said the blinkered doctor.

See :

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/....2075347.0.cyc...

or

http://tinyurl.com/2og82j

Calum

I think this is a weak, and pretty nonsensical, response to the
upsurge in cycling and the more positive press atention cycling's
getting.

Note a straw man worthy of troll b himself:

"Ah! So, you want pensioners to cycle in flip flops and bikinis in
temperatures on minus 5!!!!!"

Good grief.

As one of the commentators notes, the roads are clogged with cars
carrying people to their exercise bikes in the gym...

Old February 27th 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

On 27 Feb, 14:17, calum wrote:
...said the blinkered doctor.

See :

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/....2075347.0.cyc...

or

http://tinyurl.com/2og82j

Calum

does seem the blinkered view as one of the comments said too much heat
is normally the problem than too little.

as to hills i thought glasgow was flater than edinburgh? though it's
been many years since i was near either.

roger
Old February 27th 08, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

roger merriman wrote:

as to hills i thought glasgow was flater than edinburgh? though it's
been many years since i was near either.

Both have a plentiful selection of steep hills, including ones you'll
need to traverse in the city centres.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 27th 08, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PoB

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
| roger merriman wrote:
|
| as to hills i thought glasgow was flater than edinburgh? though it's
| been many years since i was near either.
|
| Both have a plentiful selection of steep hills, including ones you'll
| need to traverse in the city centres.

But neither pose a serious challenge, even for a podgy bloke approaching
middle age more rapidly than he cares to admit.

I don't think any other major city in the UK approaches the undulations of
Edinburgh/Glasgow, so there isn't really a problem

Oh yes - I don't think the Netherlands is particularly drier than here
(warmer, possibly, although even when the snow lies deep and crisp and even,
I need a shower to sluice the sweat when I arrive), certainly is been
p..pouring most of the times I've been there, and it's noticeably more
windy....although given the conditions here recently, I may revise that.

pOB

Old February 27th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

PoB wrote:
"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
| roger merriman wrote:
|
| as to hills i thought glasgow was flater than edinburgh? though it's
| been many years since i was near either.
|
| Both have a plentiful selection of steep hills, including ones you'll
| need to traverse in the city centres.

But neither pose a serious challenge, even for a podgy bloke approaching
middle age more rapidly than he cares to admit.

Agreed. And if it does then getting off and walking is /not/ actually a
problem!

And it'll be less of a problem the 10th time, and after the 20th he
might ride up it anyway!

Pete.
Old February 27th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Horton

PoB wrote:

I don't think any other major city in the UK approaches the undulations of
Edinburgh/Glasgow, so there isn't really a problem

Plymouth, Bristol, Bath.....
Old February 27th 08, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 27 Feb, 14:54, Rob Horton wrote:
PoB wrote:

I don't think any other major city in the UK approaches the undulations of
Edinburgh/Glasgow, so there isn't really a problem

Plymouth, Bristol, Bath.....

...Sheffield...
Old February 27th 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 05:17:39 -0800 (PST), calum
said in
:

...said the blinkered doctor.

Better not let him go to Holland or Denmark, then.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old February 27th 08, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_3_]

What does one mean by "mass form of transport"?

As many as currently drive to work (millions daily)?

As many as currently travel by public transport (ditto)?

Either thought *is indeed* pure fantasy and such targets (if they exist
- which I doubt) are doomed to failure this side of a major war or
disaster which dislocates general industrial processes (like oil-refining).

If something a mere small fraction of that sort of number is what is
aimed at (and I suspect that it is), then perhaps not. But the target
would have to be very modest as compared with the two main "mass form[s]
of transport".