ABELARD AND HELOISE, MODERNIZED! was Ed Dolan the Great & Marika

Old November 29th 08, 11:53 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default ABELARD AND HELOISE, MODERNIZED! was Ed Dolan the Great & Marika

ABELARD AND HELOISE, MODERNIZED!

Hey, Tommy, before you take up Ed Dolan's generous offer to fix you
up, you might consider what love cost Abelard, not to mention what is
often overlooked by (male) commentators, that Heloise got locked up in
a nunnery, a sort of unisex prison without MTV, even.

Andre Jute
Thank you for the Latin and the Greek, Mr Bosman

On Nov 29, 8:58*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
Ed Dolan the Great wishes to announce that no matter how much Marika might
wish it, we can never be lovers. Ed Dolan the Great is also a Great Saint
and has taken vows of chastity. Like all Great Saints, Saint Edward the
Great is only concerned with Purity of Essence and Precious Bodily Fluids..
He spends all of his time perched on a high mountain top like a lone eagle
gazing into the ether and has no time for female frivolities. I urge Marika
to look elsewhere for her true love.

I would recommend Tom Sherman of ARBR for her. He is a civil engineer,
unmarried and is as rich as Croesus. He is a mature soul and knows more
about recumbents than anyone this side of Robert Bryant, the former editor
of RCN. He is not Great like Ed Dolan the Great of course and, needless to
say, he is not a Great Saint like Saint Edward the Great, but no matter. He
is more than good enough for lowly little Marika.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 30th 08, 02:00 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
Andre Jute writes:
ABELARD AND HELOISE, MODERNIZED!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are they something like Harlequin and Columbine?
Or, perhaps, one of my favourite comedy acts --
The Bickersons[*]?

What the heck. I can just Google it.

cheers,
Tom
[*] Blanche, in an accusing tone of voice: "You hate my cooking!"
John, in a sarcastic tone of voice: "I love your cooking!"
Blanche: "Then how come you always get ptomaine poisoning?"

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old November 30th 08, 11:41 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Nov 30, 1:00*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Andre Jute writes: ABELARD AND HELOISE, MODERNIZED!

* ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are they something like Harlequin and Columbine?
Or, perhaps, one of my favourite comedy acts --
The Bickersons[*]?

What the heck. *I can just Google it.

I must warn you, Tom, the tale of Abelard and Heloise is not for the
squeamish. First of all there is this sensitive love story, which a
great big manly cyclist might find far, far too soppy. Then there is
the wicked uncle who-- man, this is a newsgroup people's children
might see. If despite this reminder you insist on googling Abelard and
Heloise, don't say I didn't warn you!

Keep your thumbs clear of the bricks.

Andre Jute
All that expensive education -- and I know all about twelfth century
lovers!

Old November 30th 08, 10:57 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Michael Press

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Mark Twain recounts the story of Abelard and Heloise
in The Innocents Abroad, in as well as his soul
wrenching visit to Adam's tomb. [sniff]

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3176

--
Michael Press
Old December 1st 08, 02:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

Default Ed Dolan the Great & Marika

"marika" wrote in message

"Michael Press" wrote in message

[...]
John Le Carre is a miserable coot. I read a few of his books:
always misery and suffering and cruelty. Not a laugh in him.

too true too true.

Spy novels never were my favored genre either.

I do not like humor mixed in with drama. It ruins most of Shakespeare for
me. Either do one or the other, but NEVER leaven drama with humor. If you
can't take drama unleavened, then just read comic books like 12 year olds
do.

Old December 1st 08, 02:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:05:15 -0600
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

I do not like humor mixed in with drama. It ruins most of Shakespeare
for me.

Shakespeare is too big to fit in a narrow mind like yours.

Old December 1st 08, 03:58 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"Edward Dolan" wrote:

I do not like humor mixed in with drama. It ruins most of Shakespeare
for me.

Shakespeare is too big to fit in a narrow mind like yours.

Shakespeare was always vastly overrated.What else were English professors
going to go on and on about if not Shakespeare. In any event, theater is
dead. It died several generations ago in case you hadn't noticed.

Old December 1st 08, 05:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

"marika" wrote in message

"Michael Press" wrote in message

[...]
John Le Carre is a miserable coot. I read a few of his books:
always misery and suffering and cruelty. Not a laugh in him.

too true too true.

Spy novels never were my favored genre either.

I do not like humor mixed in with drama. It ruins most of Shakespeare for
me. Either do one or the other, but NEVER leaven drama with humor. If you
can't take drama unleavened, then just read comic books like 12 year olds
do.

Comedy makes tragedy more poignant. Remember the film story:
Harry And Tonto?

John Steinbeck came up with some beauties in his Cannery Row
and Tortilla Flats. Not bad, for a non-Irish writer.

Even venerable Homer intermingled a little comedy with
tragedy in his epics, and it worked.

More or less.

Anyways, I think with Marika you've crossed swords with
a Russian dominatrix. I'd watch my step if I were you.

Else you might find yourself being led by the ear to
somwhere you don't wanna go. Note I'm not suggesting
you back down -- perish the thought.

Please do carry on and spend your limited, remaining
hours of life in whatever manner you see fit.

cheers,
Tom

Old December 1st 08, 05:46 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

"Edward Dolan" wrote:

I do not like humor mixed in with drama. It ruins most of Shakespeare
for me.

Shakespeare is too big to fit in a narrow mind like yours.

Shakespeare was always vastly overrated.What else were English professors
going to go on and on about if not Shakespeare.

Chaucer. With some phoney-baloney pronunciation and accent.

cheers,
Tom

"There's nothing intellectual about wandering about Italy
in a big shirt, trying to get laid."
-- Black Adder, on the Romantic poets.

Old December 1st 08, 01:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Andre Jute[_2_]

"Edward Dolan" wrote:
I do not like humor mixed in with drama. It ruins most of Shakespeare
for me.

Shakespeare is too big to fit in a narrow mind like yours.

Never a truer word -- Andre Jute