Performance Sunglasses

Old August 6th 05, 08:02 PM
Hank Wirtz

Default Performance Sunglasses

wrote in news:1123351597.020077.82870
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Fogging can occur when you go through fog or go from one temperature to
another rapidly. Hot outside to cold inside. This morning my group
rode through some heavy fog off the river. My glasses were fogged up.
And the guy who wears regular eyeglasses, no adaptor setup like mine,
just regular single lens glasses, also had fog on his glasses. So
whether you use single lens or double lens like my adaptor, both will
fog.

In cold weather, your own breath is the main source of fog. When cycling or
skiing, your forward motion clears the moisture. With double-lens systems,
the moisture is trapped between the lenses without enough airflow to clear
the fog. Yes, if you're riding through a patch of especially moist air, any
lens will fog on the outside, but that's far less common than your own
exhalation being the culprit, and the space between the lenses is the
problem.

At least, that's been my experience.

-Hank
Old August 7th 05, 01:19 AM
Jeff Starr

:

[...]

I have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene, with the Rx adapter. I ride in
temps down to about 30f, and up to around 90f. I haven't had any
fogging, that was extreme, or a real problem.

I was able to get the Rx done in a progressive lense, which makes it
easier to read the cyclocomputer and to do any roadside work. With my
single vision, it was a problem, fixing a flat.

The Rudy Projects are pricey, for a decent value, check out the Tifosi
sunglasses. The Zoom with Rx adapter.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old August 7th 05, 04:23 AM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:38:38 GMT, Ted Bennett
wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:04:08 -0500, Hank Wirtz
wrote:

You get the prescription (the slip of paper with info about what
correction you need) from your optometrist, obviously.

Residents of California (and possibly elsewhere) may find this
exceptionally difficult to obtain. My ex used to drive from Palm
Springs to Las Vegas to get her glasses precisely because she couldn't
find an optometrist in her area who would just hand her the scrip, but
in Nevada there was no such problem.

Those optometrists are not in compliance with the law, which
specifically states that prescriptions are portable, which means that a
lens prescription must be furnished at the patient's request anytime up
to one year after the examination.

A simple call to the state agency which regulates optometrists will
confirm that, and they will be interested in knowing the name of the
practitioner who refused to do so.

My mistake; it was contacts, and this was back around '95. The regs
may have changed since then. California's optometrists (or at least
the ones who were hiding behind the reg) didn't want anyone to be able
to get disposable contacts by mail.

There were, however, states where the optometrist was permitted to
dispense glasses without providing a scrip as of the last time I
checked. Texas is *not* among them. The alleged rationale for this
was that fitting the glasses was as important as the prescription,
which has only very limited validity in the cases in which it applies.
(I will note that the fashion trends which have put adjustable nose
pads out of production at times can make fitting dicey, but this is
not an excuse for the chicanery which unscrupulous optometrists have
used in promoting such regs.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 7th 05, 08:30 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:27:19 -0500 in rec.bicycles.tech, "William
O'Hara" wrote:

If I get a pair of Perf. Sunglasses such
as the Radial, then how do I get the prescription?

you take the nosepiece with the frames on it that fit behind the
wraparound lenses to whoever you get glasses from them, and they
make lenses to fit the "diopter" frames.

Does anyone have op on them? Do they slide
down a lot? Do they fog? Any vision problems
off to the side?

they don't slide much, the temples use a rubber that stay in
place. they don't fog. i can see fine to the sides, but
remember that the corrective lenses don't wrap like the outer
lenses.

i think the radials are a good buy, but that the old radials were
better than the current radial 2s. i could have done without the
"improvements" like the vent holes. my problem was that i lose
at least one pair of sunglssses a year.