Taking photos while riding.

Old September 30th 03, 03:31 PM
Hriv

Default Taking photos while riding.

This is how I take digital photos while riding my bike. If any body has more
ideas for this kind of photography please comment.
My backpack has a strap that connects the two shoulder straps in the chest
area. I use a padded camera case, secure it to this strap and the camera
stays in the case most of the ride, close to my chest. The case is left
unclosed. I use an elastic strap to connect the camera to my backpack where
the two shoulder straps connect, just behind my neck. So when I’m riding-
the camera is in the unclosed case, tied to the elastic strap that hangs
over my right shoulder and connects to the top of the backpack. The length
of the elastic strap is just enough to allow convenient operation of the
camera when its out of the case but not long enough for it to hit any part
of the bicycle if I lose grip of it. If I want to take a picture while
riding the bike- I take the camera out of the case using my right hand while
my left hand is holding the handle bar, even when the terrain is not so
smooth. I do not use the view finder- I use the LCD screen so I can see the
terrain while taking the shot. If for some reason I must quickly hold the
handle bar with both hands I just drop the camera and grip the bar. The
camera hangs securely on the elastic strap and I get full control of the
bike. When conditions allow, I insert the camera back to the case. I get
unbelievable photos of my riding buddies flying on their bikes when I’m in
motion next to them.

Old September 30th 03, 04:19 PM
Sir Ride-A-Lot

We're talking still pictures here, right? Going 10-20 MPH on bumpy terrain
and taking digital photos with a compact camera? Are your pictures even
clear? Given the 1-2 second shutter delay that the small cameras have and
shooting with auto speed, you would either miss the picture you are trying
to take or it would be blurry. Wouldn't it be better to just stop for a few
seconds, snap the photo, and carry on?

==[Sir]==

Old September 30th 03, 04:58 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:31:46 +0300, "Hriv"
wrote:

This is how I take digital photos while riding my bike. If any body

has more
ideas for this kind of photography please comment.
My backpack has a strap that connects the two shoulder straps in the

chest
area. I use a padded camera case, secure it to this strap and the

camera
stays in the case most of the ride, close to my chest. The case is

left
unclosed.

snip long-winded detail about taking pictures with a dangling camera

This is how I take digital photo while biking. I put my clothes on. I
get to where I'm going to ride. I put my camera (s), lenses, flash and
spare batteries in my backpack. I ride me bike. My friends ride their
bikes. If I get to a place that has the makings of a good photo I stop
and take my camera out of my backpack. Then I properly frame the photo
and expose the frame. On one camera I use the LCD. On one camera I use
the viewfinder. I get pretty decent photos this way. Ansel Adams took
unbelievable photos. Mine are believable.

pete fagerlin

::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro!
::www.yestubes.com
Old September 30th 03, 05:19 PM
MattB

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:31:46 +0300, "Hriv"
wrote:

snip
Mine are believable.

I don't believe you.

Matt

Old September 30th 03, 07:58 PM
JD

"Hriv" wrote in message ...
snip weirdness
I get unbelievable photos of my riding buddies flying on their bikes when
I'm in motion next to them.

Let's see them then because unbelievable seems to fit your insane sounding methods.

JD put up or shut up
Old September 30th 03, 11:02 PM
The Ogre

wrote:

[...]

That's usually how it works. Sometimes you can skip the clothes but
it gets uncomfortable. My pictures are even more believable.

-- The Ogre
http://ogrehut.net
Old September 30th 03, 11:21 PM
Westie

"The Ogre" wrote in message
om...
snip
That's usually how it works. Sometimes you can skip the clothes but
it gets uncomfortable. My pictures are even more believable.

-- The Ogre

If you're sans clothes in those photos that's going to be TOO MUCH reality
for us.
I think I'm blind....
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old October 1st 03, 12:43 AM
Raptor

Lightweight, small digital camera goes in a jersey or shorts pocket.
Comes out for a picture. I worry about falling on it, but since I don't
crash it's not a real big worry.

I wish I'd played with that little mountain icon on the camera before
today. It turns out it's a wide-angle option. Now I have to go back to
all those places I've visited and take new pictures. Life is so HARD
sometimes.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old October 1st 03, 01:20 AM
Sorni

"Raptor" wrote in message ...
Lightweight, small digital camera goes in a jersey or shorts pocket.
Comes out for a picture. I worry about falling on it, but since I don't
crash it's not a real big worry.

Karma, dude.

Bill "enjoy that camera-shaped bruise" S.

Old October 1st 03, 12:07 PM
Hriv

Small cameras are not all the same. I use a Cannon S30. It’s very responsive
and the delay is less then 1 second. The terrain can be not smooth but it
should not be very bumpy. When it gets to bumpy I drop the camera. Taking
photos in motion allows taking close ups of my buddies while ridding side by
side with them. The relative speed of me to the photo object is very slow.
This is why the objects are usually not blurry. The background can be blurry
but at high shutter speeds and good angles of photography the background is
also sharp.
Most of the pictures I take are after stopping, setting the camera correctly
and composing the photos in the optimal way, but the ones that are fun to
take are those catching buddies while ridding next to them. Try it, its very
rewarding.