Mavic rims

Old June 17th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Cotton

Default Mavic rims

I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
names.

--
www.billcotton.com

Old June 17th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jun 17, 5:52 am, "Bill Cotton" wrote:
I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
names.

--www.billcotton.com

Velocity Aero is very close in appearance..but perhaps a better rim.
CXP-21 were OEM only, and not for sale.

I have some Velocity Aeros..$40 per..what drilling.

OBTW-good on ya building a wheel. Can be 'hard' but not diffucult. Get
Jobst's and Gerd's book for guidance.

Old June 17th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot

Bill Cotton wrote:
I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
names.

On a similar note, Mavix CX717s, where do I fnd the recommended spoke
tension? I'm assuming 70-90 kgs is ball park, but it would be nice to know.

Yes, I'm beginning to get 'mates' ask me about building wheels now

Old June 17th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tosspot wrote:
Bill Cotton wrote:
I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup
another wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I
have a home machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time
than money and I have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a
time.
First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic
CXP22 and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for
Mavic have names.

On a similar note, Mavix CX717s, where do I fnd the recommended spoke
tension? I'm assuming 70-90 kgs is ball park, but it would be nice to
know.

are you stateside? if so, call 888-gomavic. they'll tell you.

Yes, I'm beginning to get 'mates' ask me about building wheels now

Old June 18th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jun 17, 8:21 am, Tosspot wrote:
Bill Cotton wrote:
I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup another
wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a home
machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money and I
have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic CXP22
and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
names.

On a similar note, Mavix CX717s, where do I fnd the recommended spoke
tension? I'm assuming 70-90 kgs is ball park, but it would be nice to know.

90-100 kgf on front and right side rear..pretty much the same as any
wheel.

Yes, I'm beginning to get 'mates' ask me about building wheels now

Old June 18th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_78_]

Bill Cotton Wrote:
I trashed my rear wheel yesterday. My first impulse was to pickup
another
wheel. After a night sleep, I thought why not build a wheel. I have a
home
machine shop with dial indicators, retired with more time than money
and I
have respoked my wheels before by replacing one at a time.
First step getting the same rim, Mavic CXP21. I couldn't find that rim
listed on Mavic site or any other web site I surfed.
My question is which rim is close to The Mavic CXP21. I found Mavic
CXP22
and CXP 33 listed in several places. The other listings for Mavic have
names.

--
www.billcotton.com

Effective Rim Diameter ERD of CXP21 is 601.5 mm
If you can find a replacement with same or close ERD you can use same
spokes.

--
daveornee

Old June 18th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Cotton

"daveornee" wrote in
message ...

Bill Cotton Wrote:
[...]

Thanks:
I located a Mavic MA3 with grommet eyelet at a LBS. Silver all over. I
bought a spry can of black paint. I will mask the sidewall and paint the
eyelet area. I've downloaded Shelton Brown's wheel building instructions,
removed the spokes and hub from the old rim; So after the paint dries, I
will begin the wheel building.
I did find sources for the Mavic CXP21, about the same price I paid for the
MA3. Also information that the CXP21 and CPX33 are similar.
Thank for the information,

Old June 18th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_79_]

Bill Cotton Wrote:
"daveornee" wrote in
message ...

Bill Cotton Wrote:
[...]

I hope you have sucess with your MA3.
I built one and before it was finished it was cracking around the
eyelets. I tensioned it evenly to 90 kgf. The cracking happened when
I was stabilizing it. (AKA Mavic Method).
I took it apart and returned the cracking one and the one that was
ready to be built. I got a refund and bought some Velocity rims.
A freind of mine has CXP-21 rimmed wheels that have over 12,000 miles
on them. I guess I would have gone for the CXP-21 rim and used the
old spokes.

--
daveornee

Old June 19th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Cotton

portions deleted
"daveornee" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I have gotten very good mileage from my CXP21 rims. About 7 years at 4k per
year. Based on your experience I plan to order the CXP21 now that I have a
source and build a spare wheel.

--
www.billcotton.com