£22 million wasted on ******s

Old March 9th 11, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default £22 million wasted on ******s

Ian Smith wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 11:47:18 -0000, Mrcheerful
wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 08:03:13 -0000, Mrcheerful
wrote:

but since no 'road tax' means no lawful use of the roads by car

No it doesn't (even discounting your use of the term 'road tax').
There are plenty of cars you can drive on the road without having
paid a penny of vehicle excise duty.

a road tax disc disc is evidence that road tax has been met for that
vehicle, you cannot legally use a car without one whether you have
paid or it comes without having to be paid for.

See those goal-posts shift!

I take that as agreement that the statement "no road tax means no
lawful use of the roads by car" was, in fact, total ********.

However 'road tax' is only one of the manifold ways that tax is
collected from motorists: petrol about 80 p a litre is tax,

Yes, but you can legally use the roads without paying it.

insurance: loads of tax,

Assuming you're not factoring in income tax, I dispute 'loads', but
you can in any case legally use the roads without paying it.

servicing: loads of tax.

Assuming you're not factoring in income tax, I dispute 'loads', but
you can in any case legally use the roads without paying it.

(If you_are_ factoring in income tax, you're even dafter than I
thought, since you'll then be obliged to agree that cyclists cannot
use the road without paying even more 'loads of tax' than motorists,
what with them being higher than average earners on average.)

Driving anywhere with a toll or charge: more tax, parking: more
tax. Garaging: more tax, etc. etc.

Now you're being silly - cyclists pay tax on tolls that apply to
bicycles, parking charges that apply to bicycles and so on.

You're not ranting about the poor hard-done-by motorist, you're
ranting about the poor hard-done-by resident of the united kingdom
with on-shore earnings. Why? Why can't you take that to
uk.rec.non-taxpayers or wherever you think you'll goad someone?

you cannot legally use a car without road tax, whether it is free or not,
therefore it is a tax on road use, not a vehicle tax (this was the original
statement made by someone.)

legal road use includes insurance which has a hefty tax element.

everything bought for a car has a large element of tax in it.

cycles do not pay for tolls nor parking

car drivers put far more into the collective tax pot than cyclists do.

Old March 9th 11, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Mar 9, 1:33*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
you cannot legally use a car without road tax, whether it is free or not,
therefore it is a tax on road use, not a vehicle tax (this was the original
statement made by someone.)

Wriggle alert.
You said quote :"road tax is a tax that must be *paid* to use the
roads".
What is it about the word "paid" that you are struggling with?
How can you "pay" nothing?

car drivers put far more into the collective tax pot than cyclists do.

********.
I've paid taxes left, right and centre since I started work in 1975.
I've paid VED every year since then.
Some 17 year old scrote on minimum wage in a Nova has paid bugger all
in comparison.
Your thinking is far too blinkered and simple.
Don't you realise that most cyclists are also drivers?
Or do we have to do a Janet and John to show that cycling John has
paid VED on the car that Janet drives for free like we have to do with
Medway?

--
Simon Mason

Old March 9th 11, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

wrote:

but since no 'road tax' means no lawful use of the roads by car

No it doesn't (even discounting your use of the term 'road tax').
There are plenty of cars you can drive on the road without having paid
a penny of vehicle excise duty.

regards, Ian SMith

a road tax disc disc is evidence that road tax has been met for that
vehicle, you cannot legally use a car without one whether you have paid or
it comes without having to be paid for. However 'road tax' is only one of
the manifold ways that tax is collected from motorists: petrol about 80 p a
litre is tax, insurance: loads of tax, servicing: loads of tax. Driving
anywhere with a toll or charge: more tax, parking: more tax. Garaging: more
tax, etc. etc.

It would be interesting to try to actually work out how many billions per
day UK vehicle drivers put into the economy. and how many days the country
could manage without that income.

Whinging about tax?

Next Monday I expect to face a £10,440 purchase tax, and pay it.

Taxes are a part of life. If people didn't pay them public services
would not exist.
Old March 9th 11, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dex

On 09/03/2011 12:22, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 09/03/2011 07:27, Dex wrote:
On 08/03/2011 07:20, Dex wrote:

High time we stopped listening to these ******s. If they want to cycle
let the spongers pay for it.

Most of the adult ones do, via council tax.

Do cyclists have to pay an 'extra' 'specific' tax to use a push bike on
the road?

Answer 'No'. Sponging freeloaders.

But motorist don't pay an 'extra' 'specific' tax either.

http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/bring-back-the-road-fund/

It’s often assumed that ‘road tax’ pays for Britain’s roads. In fact,
it’s general and local taxation that pays for roads. Proceeds from
Vehicle Excise Duty – a tax on vehicles, not a payment for use of roads
– goes into the Consolidated Fund, the coffers of the Treasury.

Which means that road tax, car tax, ved, call it what you like does go
towards paying for the roads.

So does the tax I pay when buying biscuits.
Old March 9th 11, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 06:41:26 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

Or do we have to do a Janet and John to show that cycling John has
paid VED on the car that Janet drives for free like we have to do with
Medway?

See John.

See John on his bicycle.

John is happy. He he is happy because he likes riding his bicycle.

See Dave.

See Dave in his van.

Dave is miserable. He is miserable because he thinks John pays no tax.

But look. John has a car. John pays VED too.

John doesn't mind paying VED because he knows what the rules are.

Dave doesn't understand why John is so happy. Dave is jealous because
John is so healthy and happy.
Old March 9th 11, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

JNugent wrote:

That may or may not be good to know (though it certainly doesn't apply to
me). What I'd really like to know is how I can use my car on the roads of
the UK without paying about £4.50 a gallon in excise duty and VAT.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

--
Tony
Old March 9th 11, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:

road tax is a tax that must be paid to use the roads, (car drivers) cannot
do so legally without one, therefore it is a tax specific to using the
roads, it is not a tax on ownership of vehicles but it is a tax on using a
car on the road. Dress it up or down however you like.

No its not. I don't pay a tax to use my car on the road - they give me the
disc for free. You may have to because yours causes more pollution but
that would make it a pollution tax not a road tax.

--
Tony
Old March 9th 11, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 09/03/2011 07:27, Dex wrote:
On 08/03/2011 07:20, Dex wrote:

[...]

Good so we are agreed that VED goes into the general coffers which among
other things pays for the roads.

Oh and if you were thinking of VAT you only pay that on 'luxury'
biscuits, which generally means chocolate ones.
Yes I know that there are other tax elements as well.

Old March 9th 11, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
SW[_3_]

On 09/03/2011 10:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
it is a tax on using a
car on the road.

And is therefore a car tax just as much as a road tax - probably more so
as virtually all car use requires the tax to be paid.

Old March 9th 11, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dex

On 09/03/2011 11:54, Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 9, 11:39 am, wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:53 am, wrote:
road tax is a tax that must be paid to use the roads, (car drivers)
cannot do so legally without one,

Not correct - millions of drivers don't have to.
See:

http://ipayroadtax.com/bloody-tax-do...dgers-theres-m...

"There are about 2 million vehicles which don t pay VED".

Note my use of the word legally.
are they using vehicles legally on the road without road tax? No, would be
the correct answer.

Read it again - you seem to have trouble in comprehending your ill
thought out posts the majority of the time - you are always getting
picked up on it.

The link does not descibe the millions of illegal drivers on the roads
with no insurance/VED/tax etc. It shows you the millions of drivers
*legally exempt* from VED.
-----------

"In 2006, there were just 350 of these tax-dodging cars on the roads
of the UK. Now there are many thousands. The Toyota Prius alone has
sold 16,000 in the UK.

But wait, there are other tax-dodgers out there. Cars built before
1973 are classified as historic and are exempt from VED.

Making me feel all nostalgic about the 1st car I owned, a K (1971) reg
Vauxhall Viva.

A Tour for Wankers! ronaldo_jeremiah Racing 2 February 17th 10 01:45 PM
Yo Wankers, Cut Up $6,500 Carbon bike! yourbuddy UK 0 December 20th 05 11:19 PM
Helmet Wankers Tom Kunich General 263 February 13th 04 05:43 AM
Helmet Wankers CSB UK 138 February 13th 04 05:43 AM
Helmet Wankers CSB Australia 136 February 13th 04 05:43 AM