£22 million wasted on ******s

Old March 10th 11, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dex

Default �22 million wasted on ******s

On 10/03/2011 07:55, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 10/03/2011 06:52, Dex wrote:
On 09/03/2011 19:47, Dex wrote:
On 09/03/2011 15:31, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:42:51 +0000 the
perfect time to write:

On 09/03/2011 08:01, Mrcheerful wrote:
Dex wrote:
On 09/03/2011 07:15, Mrcheerful wrote:
Dex wrote:
On 08/03/2011 07:58, Mrcheerful wrote:
Dex wrote:

High time we stopped listening to these ******s. If they
want to
cycle let the spongers pay for it.

Most of the adult ones do, via council tax.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200028/council_tax/1776/paying_your_council_tax/2

What your Council Tax pays for

The Council Tax you pay goes towards the cost of providing a
wide
range of services for the people of Manchester. These include:

* Maintenance of roads and bridges
* Traffic management and road safety

Some cyclists undoubtedly do pay council and income tax, but
how
many are on benefits, hence they pay nothing?

And these same people on benefits get their bins emptied, free
schooling for their kid, access to libraries and the emergency
services if they need them.

Want that lot taken away as well?

absolutely, if you can't afford it: you don't get it.

So some poor sod who was sacked because their employer moved
overseas
to avoid a bit of tax deserves to have his house burned down and
his
wife die if she accidentally falls down the stars?

How... charitable of you.

why rely on the state to look after you?

It would be nice if unemployment was virtually unheard of and the
minimum wage was £50 per hour, but it's not.

Paying directly for education, roads, hospitals, street lighting and
the
multitude of other things the council tax pays for would bankrupt
most
workers.

The real decline of this country
came as soon as the Welfare State came in after WW2.

AFAIC that was the day this country came out of the dark ages,
abolishment of the workhouse system for one example.

It might have become an easy answer to some, but it was and still is
there for the benefit (pardon the pun) of the nation as a whole.

I wonder how many people could afford to run a car if the _entire_
medical and social care costs for the people they cripple each year
(an any dependents they may have) had to be funded from motor
insurance.

If the entire amount of tax paid by motorists was spent on roads & not
pinched for other things we could all have our own road.

Have you done the maths?

I have. I've learned how to multiply 33,000,000 x 10,000.

What's that figure got to do with the price of cheese?

A mile of new motorway costs £30m, that's £473.50 per inch, then you've
got the maintenance and gritting when the frost comes. Adding all the
58p per litre tax on fuel and road tax you bought over a year exactly
how many inches did you pay for?

58p a litre? On which planet?

Show me where fuel duty is a lot higher, reputable source would be nice.

You forgot VAT.

Nope. VAT is a type of sales tax, not a tariff on fuel.
Old March 10th 11, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

[...]

Your words were "tax on fuel" VAT on fuel is a tax on fuel.
Old March 10th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_4_]

"Tony Dragon" wrote in message
On 10/03/2011 09:06, Dex wrote:

Nope. VAT is a type of sales tax, not a tariff on fuel.

Your words were "tax on fuel" VAT on fuel is a tax on fuel.

And it's also applied to the duty as well as the basic cost of the fuel.
VAT on top of duty!

Old March 10th 11, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 09/03/2011 23:32, Tony Raven wrote:

wrote:
On 09/03/2011 16:45, Tony Raven wrote:
wrote:

That may or may not be good to know (though it certainly doesn't apply to
me). What I'd really like to know is how I can use my car on the roads of
the UK without paying about £4.50 a gallon in excise duty and VAT.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

That's not my car.

Well make it your car and you can stop whinging about having to pay "road
tax" and fuel excise duty& tax.

You're funny, aren't you?

Or at least, you think you are.
Old March 10th 11, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

--
Tony

I think your point went over his head.

You correctly stated that he *chose* to use a form of transport and
pay the commensurate tax that goes with it when alternatives are
available that would mean he wouldn't have to.

He didn't state anything of the sort, and the question which *I* put not only
went over his head, but also straight over yours.

I asked a question which pertained to my car; not to some other car.
Old March 11th 11, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dex

On 10/03/2011 06:52, Dex wrote:
On 09/03/2011 19:47, Dex wrote:

A mile of new motorway costs £30m, that's £473.50 per inch, then
you've
got the maintenance and gritting when the frost comes. Adding all the
58p per litre tax on fuel and road tax you bought over a year exactly
how many inches did you pay for?

58p a litre? On which planet?

Show me where fuel duty is a lot higher, reputable source would be
nice.

You forgot VAT.

Nope. VAT is a type of sales tax, not a tariff on fuel.

Your words were "tax on fuel" VAT on fuel is a tax on fuel.

VAT on a LCD TV is not a tax on TV's, VAT on computers is not a tax on
computers, VAT on DVD's is not a tax on DVD's..... It's a SALES tax, an
added tax on the VALUE (hence the V in VAT) of the product, not the
product itself.

Are you with me so far?
Old March 11th 11, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 10/03/2011 06:52, Dex wrote:
On 09/03/2011 19:47, Dex wrote:

[...]

Let me get this right, when I buy my chocolate biscuits, I don't pay tax
on the biscuits but on the value of the biscuits.

So most items that we buy have no tax on them, but only tax on the money
we pay for them.

Are you a banker by any chance?
Old March 11th 11, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dex

On 10/03/2011 06:52, Dex wrote:
On 09/03/2011 19:47, Dex wrote:

[...]

Yep.

So most items that we buy have no tax on them, but only tax on the money
we pay for them.

Yep. That's why you pay more VAT if the price of the product doubles.

Take petrol, the duty is currently 59p, if a litre sky-rockets to £3
because of the situation in the Middle East the duty will still be 59p.

Are you a banker by any chance?

Nope. Failed maths at school.

Old March 11th 11, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 10/03/2011 06:52, Dex wrote:
On 09/03/2011 19:47, Dex wrote:

A mile of new motorway costs £30m, that's £473.50 per inch, then
you've got the maintenance and gritting when the frost comes. Adding
al the 58p per litre tax on fuel and road tax you bought over a year
exactly how many inches did you pay for?

58p a litre? On which planet?

Show me where fuel duty is a lot higher, reputable source would be
nice.

You forgot VAT.

Nope. VAT is a type of sales tax, not a tariff on fuel.

Your words were "tax on fuel" VAT on fuel is a tax on fuel.

VAT on a LCD TV is not a tax on TV's,

You are 100% wrong. VAT on a TV is tax on that TV. The clue is the letter
"T". It stands for "tax".

By the way, it is a grammatical faux pas to insert an apostrophe into a word
ot term just before the final "ess" which denotes the plural. Perhaps you
sell food for a living? If so, you will already know something pointed out below.

VAT on computers is not a tax on computers,

You are 100% wrong. VAT on a computer is tax on that computer. The clue is
the letter "T". It stands for "tax".

VAT on DVD's is not a tax on DVD's.....

Yet again, you are 100% wrong. VAT on a DVD is tax on that DVD. The clue is
the letter "T". It stands for "tax". And watch out for those aberrant
apostrophes.

It's a SALES tax, an added tax on the VALUE (hence the V in VAT) of the
product, not the product itself.

You are floundering. That is a distinction without a difference. You pay the
tax when you purchase almost anything, though some things - eg, food in most
forms, or childrens' clothing - are VAT-free.

The fact that some things are tax-free ought to give a sensible person pause
to reflect on why that might be. It is because Parliament concluded that some
things are so essential and/or so sensitive that they dare not charge you tax
on them.

Are you with me so far?

I think almost anyone with a brain is some way ahead of you by this point.
Are you with me so far?

So go on... try to post a few more examples where tax is not tax.

A Tour for Wankers! ronaldo_jeremiah Racing 2 February 17th 10 01:45 PM
Yo Wankers, Cut Up $6,500 Carbon bike! yourbuddy UK 0 December 20th 05 11:19 PM
Helmet Wankers Tom Kunich General 263 February 13th 04 05:43 AM
Helmet Wankers CSB UK 138 February 13th 04 05:43 AM
Helmet Wankers CSB Australia 136 February 13th 04 05:43 AM