Ineffective Cycling

Old May 8th 19, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Ineffective Cycling

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 5:19:25 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

I avoid at least one crash every day and two on Sundays -- I avoided one yesterday morning when some car right hooked my son and me. He hit the jets and engaged the driver, for better or worse. She was French and said that "I szaw you" (pointing at her eyes for accentuation). WTF? Why would you even say that? It means she saw us and turned anyway. Hmmmm. "F*** you, au revoir!" DEPORT HER DONALD!

-- Jay Beattie.

Same here. I was riding along yesterday and a woman in a car wanted to drive onto the road from the right. I saw it coming and shook my head trying to say don't do that in a nice way. She nodded her head trying to 'yes I will' and yelling at me she is coming from the right and have right of way. I said you coming from a parking lot and have to give right of way to anybody on the road. You have to deal with this kind of situations at least once every ride.

Lou
Old May 8th 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/8/2019 9:08 AM, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 08-05-19 04:35, Frank Krygowski wrote:
There are ways of avoiding that geometry. There are ways of sometimes
dissuading the motorist if you're unavoidably in that situation. There
are ways of evading the crash if it all goes wrong. Those are the
sorts of things taught in these sorts of classes.

I know how to avoid getting caught by the "right hook". However, I'm not
sure what you were referring to with "evading the crash if it all goes
wrong". Could you please expand on that a bit? Maybe it's something I
already know, but might also be something that I *should* but don't
know. Thanks.

I should have made it clear that the quick turn can be used to turn
inside the right turning motor vehicle. With excellent luck, the cyclist
might avoid all contact. With ordinary luck, at least the crash gets
converted to a sort of glancing contact.

I've heard of guys who turned inside the path of a right turning car and
ended up leaning unhurt on the passenger side of the vehicle as they
both came to a stop.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 8th 19, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/8/2019 1:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

We drove and rode bikes in France for three weeks. I must confess, I
never understood the rule there, "priorite a droite" or whatever. I
seemed to see plenty of signs canceling it, and I don't remember seeing
anyone do anything different than the way we drive in America.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 8th 19, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/8/2019 1:59 PM, Duane wrote:
On 08/05/2019 1:52 p.m., wrote:
On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 5:19:25 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

I avoid at least one crash every day and two on Sundays -- I avoided
oneÂ* yesterday morning when some car right hooked my son and me.Â* He
hit the jets and engaged the driver, for better or worse.Â* She was
French and said that "I szaw you" (pointing at her eyes for
accentuation).Â* WTF?Â* Why would you even say that?Â* It means she saw
us and turned anyway. Hmmmm. "F*** you, au revoir!" DEPORT HER DONALD!

-- Jay Beattie.

Same here. I was riding along yesterday and a woman in a car wanted to
drive onto the road from the right. I saw it coming and shook my head
trying to say don't do that in a nice way. She nodded her head trying
to 'yes I will' and yelling at me she is coming from the right and
have right of way. I said you coming from a parking lot and have to
give right of way to anybody on the road. You have to deal with this
kind of situations at least once every ride.

Funny how these things seem common to some of us but apparently there's
a book you can read to solve it all.

That statement is very similar to "Ya don't need to know algebra. All ya
need is add and subtract."

You can get by with ideas that "seem common" if you limit yourself
enough, or are lucky enough. Just don't pretend you're really competent.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 8th 19, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 10:59:34 AM UTC-7, duane wrote:
On 08/05/2019 1:52 p.m., wrote:
[...]

The reactions of violating drivers is particularly interesting. I love the waive. It's like "I'm totally f****** you, but I'll waive. Hey, how ya doing?"

I was riding home last night through this intersection behind another rider..
https://tinyurl.com/y2b82ljz The on-coming, left turn cycle ended; the green light activated; the other rider took off, and I gave him a gap. And then some total ass-wipe runs the turn light and almost t-bones the other rider in the middle of the intersection. It was really, really close. The driver not only runs the left turn light, but he leaped into the turn lane from two lanes over, exiting a car wash and cutting off a bunch of drivers proceeding straight. Graciously, he waived and drove off. I was yelling and screaming at the guy. The almost-victim was very calm about it. I just don't have that level of calm after all these years. I'm more of a one-man editorial department.

I was riding behind two riders in a bike lane a few years back, and a car traveling the same direction decided to rat-out of stopped traffic by making a hard right turn up a side street. He hit both of the guys in front of me. I stopped and lectured them soundly about riding position and avoiding impacts with cars -- while they were still down on the ground. I threw them a couple copies of my self-published book, "Bicycle Illuminati Part Trois -- Defeating Cars!" (now available on Amazon and at better book sellers). Luckily, nobody was seriously injured.

I was clearly the better rider because I didn't get hit. I'm counting that as an above the line deduction to my total number of crashes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 8th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 8 May 2019 14:17:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/8/2019 1:59 PM, Duane wrote:
On 08/05/2019 1:52 p.m., wrote:
[...]

Funny, you know. My wife doesn't know algebra and is now in her 70's
and hasn't yet seemed to need it. Would you care to elaborate why an
elderly woman like her needs to know advanced math?

You can get by with ideas that "seem common" if you limit yourself
enough, or are lucky enough. Just don't pretend you're really competent.

I see. You are defining my wife as not really competent? Gee. I'd
guess that she is a better cook then you, she is probably a better
dressmaker then you, back in her younger days she was probably... well
we won't get into that, I'm sure that she keeps a cleaner house then
you do and from your descriptions here she dresses better then you.
Lets see, what else, oh yes she speaks four languages.

But she is "not really competent"?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 9th 19, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 10:48:08 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:

Look at the complete video from the beginning. The only mystery is "what was he thinking."

Or, even more pointedly, "What was he thinking with?"

Ande Jute
A little, a very little thought will suffice -- John Maynard Keynes
Old May 9th 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/8/2019 6:30 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 10:48:08 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:

Look at the complete video from the beginning. The only mystery is "what was he thinking."

Or, even more pointedly, "What was he thinking with?"

Ande Jute
A little, a very little thought will suffice -- John Maynard Keynes

Don't discount telephone text messages - a deadly force:

https://nypost.com/video/corn-pops-a...es-into-truck/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 9th 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/7/2019 4:02 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 7 May 2019 09:18:45 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/7/2019 7:12 AM, AMuzi wrote:
Good title for a book. Lots of potential

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uick-turn.html

Well they're both riding on the wrong side of the road. What's wrong
with people that can't keep right!?

Errr... you did note the address, didn't you? "dailymail.co.UK" They
drive on the other side of the road "over there".
--
cheers,

John B.

LOL, I just knew that someone would ignore the sarcasm emoji and take it
out of context. I was not disappointed. I was not surprised who it was.