Ineffective Cycling

Old May 9th 19, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Default Ineffective Cycling

Am 09.05.2019 um 12:23 schrieb Duane:
No I think he’s defining ME as incompetent because I don’t need a book that
instructs me to break the law, asserting my primary position should be dead
center of the right most lane.

In some jurisdictions, the law forces the cyclist either to live
dangerous or to break the law. One example is the mandatory use of
"Bicycle sidewalks" in Germany.

If I wish to minimize my chances of being run over, I

1) need to be aware of the dangers
2) need to recognize the dangers
3) need to ignore the law in dangerous situations
4) need to think of a good excuse

More than 95% of untrained cyclists use the bicycle sidewalk even in
dangerous situations because they are not aware of the specific dangers
that would be most easily avoided by using the lane rather than the
bicycle sidewalk. Most of the cyclists run over by right-turning trucks
are children and OAPs.
Old May 9th 19, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 09/05/2019 7:31 a.m., Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 09.05.2019 um 12:23 schrieb Duane:
No I think he’s defining ME as incompetent because I don’t need a book
that
instructs me to break the law, asserting my primary position should be
dead
center of the right most lane.

In some jurisdictions, the law forces the cyclist either to live
dangerous or to break the law.Â* One example is the mandatory use of
"Bicycle sidewalks" in Germany.

If I wish to minimize my chances of being run over, I

1) need to be aware of the dangers
2) need to recognize the dangers
3) need to ignore the law in dangerous situations
4) need to think of a good excuse

More than 95% of untrained cyclists use the bicycle sidewalk even in
dangerous situations because they are not aware of the specific dangers
that would be most easily avoided by using the lane rather than the
bicycle sidewalk.Â* Most of the cyclists run over by right-turning trucks
are children and OAPs.

What I object to is telling me that my "primary" position should be one
that puts me in the middle of the lane. Maybe the term "primary" has
some meaning that I don't understand. I'll be there when I think it
necessary but I understand that there's some risk to doing that.
Old May 9th 19, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 8:36:01 AM UTC-4, duane wrote:
[...]

Here's the bridge where a number of years ago I bailed onto the shoulder of the road before getting onto the bridge because three 18 wheelers were coming up fast behind me and were showing no signs of slowing down. As you can see once you're on that bridge there's no way out of the lane except at the far end. I was told i should have stayed lance center and the trucks would have to have slowed down.

I figure that in push come to shove a 22 pound bicycle will lose against an 18 wheeler every time.

Cheers
Old May 9th 19, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 09/05/2019 8:57 a.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Was there supposed to be a link there somewhere?

Anyway, I think one should ride defensively and pay attention to the
surroundings. There's no magic bullet that works in every case.

I've had a woman at a stop light in the left lane turn in front of my
when I was center of the right lane. The light changed and as I was
approaching she just turned into what was apparently her driveway. I
tried to turn as well and managed to dump on her lawn. When I got up to
confront her I actually startled her. It was the first time she had
seen me. She was sitting in her car fiddling with her phone.

The reason I was in the center of the lane is that I was coming down the
hill and there are several driveways entering the road that have poor
sight lines due to trees etc. I doubt that my lane position mattered at
all.

I can think of several cases like this. I've had an idiot rear end me
in my car while I was at a stop sign because he was texting. I was at
the same stop the day before on my bike.

I think Cyclecraft was written in 1988 so I doubt that it takes cell
phones, texting, auto GPS etc into account.
Old May 9th 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 2:10:47 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
lou.holtman wrote:
On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 8:13:59 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/8/2019 1:52 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 5:19:25 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

I avoid at least one crash every day and two on Sundays -- I
avoided one yesterday morning when some car right hooked my son
and me. He hit the jets and engaged the driver, for better or
worse. She was French and said that "I szaw you" (pointing at her
eyes for accentuation). WTF? Why would you even say that? It
means she saw us and turned anyway. Hmmmm.

Refreshingly female savoir-conduire, emotional logic: She felt that she saw
you noticing her, therefore you could brake.

Do not (overtly) look at traffic supposed to yield, don't slow down the
cranks, just calculate emergency manoeuvers without showing. How come you
have never read a book on how to deal with Portland Euro driver trash?!

Brilliant. I'm incorporating that into my next volume of "Bicycle Illuminati" (without attribution, of course). I never even considered that seeing her gave her right of way, at least in her mind. I need to be more careful about noticing drivers. Maybe I'll get one of those sleep masks and put it over my eyes with little holes so I can see -- but cars will yield because they think I can't see, but then they'll get close because I'm wearing a helmet. Gads, the cars will be oscillating back and forth.

"F*** you, au revoir!"

So you admit you subconsciously longed to see her again, in a different context.

Yes, she was vaguely chaud.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 9th 19, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 9:22:46 AM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 09/05/2019 8:57 a.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Snipped
[...]

looks like I forgot to put the link in. I hope this one takes you to the image I want to post.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Fre...!4d-80.4104376

Sheesh that's a long link.

Sometimes it's simply a matter of the person on the scene knowing whether or not to take the lane or stay in the lane is the best thing to do.

I often wonder how many of those who get hit from behind were aware of the approaching vehicle. I still think that a rear view mirror is a far superior safety device for a bicyclist than a bell that most people let alone drivers can't hear anyway. It still amazes me that on the MUPs around here, that most of the times when someone hears a bicycle bell they stop and look UP..

Cheers
Old May 9th 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 5/8/2019 1:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

Get a long hair wig to wear under your helmet. Some person tried that and found that cars gave him more room when passing. LOL

I NEVER depend on a driver seeing me. That's because too many drivers can apparently be looking right at you yet not see you. That has been shown in studies too but I can't remember where those studies are. Me, I watch the wheels of cars at intersections.

Cheers
Old May 9th 19, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 09/05/2019 11:22 a.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Speed limit is 60 but it looks like a busy road. I ride in Ontario a
lot but mostly east around Vankleek Hill, Hawksebury or Prescott. And
those are usually recreational rides so we can pick and choose. I
wouldn't choose to ride on this one for fun...

My commute is through less rural areas so when there's traffic it tends
to be slower.

Sometimes it's simply a matter of the person on the scene knowing whether or not to take the lane or stay in the lane is the best thing to do.

I would expect that is usually the case.

Old May 9th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/9/2019 5:10 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Do not (overtly) look at traffic supposed to yield, don't slow down the
cranks, just calculate emergency manoeuvers without showing.

"Don't slow down the cranks" is one technique I learned. When I have the
right of way, I want to make it visibly clear that I'm going to take it.

How come you
have never read a book on how to deal with Portland Euro driver trash?!

I remain astounded that some are arguing so strongly against trying to
learn more about bicycling. What the hell?

Golfers I know watch instructional videos, go to driving ranges to
practice, read books and articles. Fishermen I know are avid readers of
magazine articles that are full of instruction. Ditto for runners I
know, weight lifters I know, etc. etc.

Seems like a lot of people here think there's nothing to learn except
what gruppo to buy next.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 9th 19, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/9/2019 8:35 AM, Duane wrote:

What I object to is telling me that my "primary" position should be one
that puts me in the middle of the lane.Â* Maybe the term "primary" has
some meaning that I don't understand.

You say maybe the term "primary" has some meaning that you don't understand?

Then why would you not buy a copy of _Cyclecraft_ and read it?? Why
would you instead waste time arguing while retaining ignorance? How can
you be so certain that you already know everything of value to you,
regarding an activity to which you are so dedicated?

(And I'm aware that you've blocked my posts. It doesn't matter to me.
But it IS another example of arguing from a position of ignorance.)

--
- Frank Krygowski