Mountain biker dies on trail

Old June 10th 07, 08:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain biker dies on trail

So much for the alleged health benefits of mountain biking....

Mike

Mountain biker dies on trail
by Compiled by Clarke Morrison
published June 9, 2007 12:15 am
Read 1 comment » e-mail this Print this

BENT CREEK — Emergency workers spent at least an hour trying to find a
man who died Friday while riding a mountain bike on a trail in the
Bent Creek area, said Mike Staton, battalion chief at the Skyland Fire
Department.

The man had been riding with a group in an area between Rice Pinnacle
and Ledford Branch Trail.

“He had rode ahead on the trail,” Staton said. “When one of the bikers
got there, they found him off the bike. He was unresponsive.”

He said fellow bikers tried to revive the man as emergency crews made
their way to the area on all-terrain vehicles. A cause of death had
not yet been determined, Staton said. The call was received just
before 11 a.m.

The identity of the man, believed to be in his 50s, had not yet been
released pending notification of family, said Mike Lindsay, chief of
public safety for the N.C. Arboretum.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 10th 07, 11:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Whatsit

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

SICK PRICK!

Gloating over the death of a mountain biker. Truly you are one sick puppy.

Old June 10th 07, 03:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JP

Default Troll celebrates death of a human being

Too sick for words

Old June 10th 07, 04:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:00:42 GMT, "Whatsit"
wrote:

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Who's gloating? I'm just warning you. Obviously, I care more about
your safety than you do.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 10th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:45:23 GMT, "JP" wrote:

Too sick for words

I'm just warning you. Obviously, I care more for your safety than YOU
do.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 10th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Callistus Valerius

"He had rode ahead on the trail," Staton said. "When one of the bikers
got there, they found him off the bike. He was unresponsive."

He said fellow bikers tried to revive the man as emergency crews made
their way to the area on all-terrain vehicles. A cause of death had
not yet been determined, Staton said. The call was received just
before 11 a.m.

The identity of the man, believed to be in his 50s,

----------
So he died of a heart attack, so what's new here. Rarely do road
pro-cyclists make it to age 60, most die before that from heart attacks.
Cyclists dying from heart attacks is very common. Knew a guy who died from
a heart attack in a marathon, which really shocked the other runners. What
they didn't know was he was an avid road cyclist. We will live short lives,
but at least they're fun years, get use to the idea.

Old June 10th 07, 08:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Sornson

JP wrote:
Too sick for words

http://www.google.com/search?q=hiker...e=utf8&oe=utf8

Old June 10th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill

Callistus Valerius wrote:
[...]

What's short about 'our' lives? I am not now nor ever was a pro, but
cycling has made me a very much above average 58.67 Year old.
At least he went out doing what he enjoyed instead of staring into space
from a rest home wheelchair.
Cycling = good.
Vandeman's opinions = bad.
Bill Baka
Old June 11th 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Callistus Valerius

----------
So he died of a heart attack, so what's new here. Rarely do road
pro-cyclists make it to age 60, most die before that from heart attacks.
Cyclists dying from heart attacks is very common. Knew a guy who died

from
a heart attack in a marathon, which really shocked the other runners.

What
they didn't know was he was an avid road cyclist. We will live short

lives,
but at least they're fun years, get use to the idea.

What's short about 'our' lives? I am not now nor ever was a pro, but
cycling has made me a very much above average 58.67 Year old.
At least he went out doing what he enjoyed instead of staring into space
from a rest home wheelchair.
Cycling = good.
Vandeman's opinions = bad.
Bill Baka

-----------
You weren't a pro, so you haven't used up your heartbeats. You only get so
many. If you sat on a sofa for 10 years, add 10 years.

Old June 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Callistus Valerius

Too sick for words

http://www.google.com/search?q=hiker....microso ft:e
n-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

That's why the pioneers hated the mountains, stayed out of the mountains.
Only demented people like Jim Bridger, could even survive in such a hostile
environment. They weren't stupid, today they are.