Hey, Chalo (Euclid question)

Old October 15th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

Default Hey, Chalo (Euclid question)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:02:26 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech you said
something to the effect of:

some of
them [Euclid brakes] developed a feature that makes me like them better than the old
kind. Many of them are now linear-pull instead of pulled by a
straddle. Some of these brakes come with hardware kits that allow
both kinds of cable setups.

I have looked in all of the old catelogs I could find and I don't see
any linear-pull info. I wonder if that was an option or something
someone "engineered". Do you have any more info?

One could certainly build that hardware... it wouldn't be difficult at
all. I wonder how the "pinch" pull would differ from the straddle
pull in terms of the physics involved. I think that, since I already
have the cable anchor made and in position, I'll probably keep the
straddle. Going to linear pull might force me to change levers!

Jones

Old October 15th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Oct 14, 6:38 pm, !Jones wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 00:02:26 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech you said
something to the effect of:

some of
them [Euclid brakes] developed a feature that makes me like them better than the old
kind. Many of them are now linear-pull instead of pulled by a
straddle. Some of these brakes come with hardware kits that allow
both kinds of cable setups.

I meant some of the more recent freestyle U-brakes. None were linear-
pull in the U-braked MTB days as far as I know.

I have looked in all of the old catelogs I could find and I don't see
any linear-pull info. I wonder if that was an option or something
someone "engineered". Do you have any more info?

One could certainly build that hardware... it wouldn't be difficult at
all. I wonder how the "pinch" pull would differ from the straddle
pull in terms of the physics involved.

Straddles have a variable and falling rate depending on their angles
of divergence from the actuating cable. Linear-pull setups are
essentially fixed in leverage at very approximately 2:1 advantage.
Both of them work appropriately with cantilever-type brake levers but
not with V-brake type levers.

I think that, since I already
have the cable anchor made and in position, I'll probably keep the
straddle. Going to linear pull might force me to change levers!

You can go either way with the levers you have now. I would decide
based on whether the noodle would get in the way of your feet (likely
on a kid-sized frame).

Chalo