Anyone ever make a headtube badge?

Old November 12th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

Default Anyone ever make a headtube badge?

Anyone ever make a custom headtube badge?
I'm thinking it might be fun to do.
Possibly enameling.
-tom

Old November 12th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Tom Nakashima wrote:
Anyone ever make a custom headtube badge?
I'm thinking it might be fun to do.
Possibly enameling.

If you're making one it may be an enjoyable project. For a quantity look
for a cloisonne house.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old November 12th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 12, 2:07 pm, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:
Anyone ever make a custom headtube badge?
I'm thinking it might be fun to do.
Possibly enameling.
-tom

Or Aqua Dots!:

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001442.html

which unfortunately contain a date rape compound:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=95502

Which ain't all bad:

http://tinyurl.com/2v2a8l

Alternately, go all primitive like Mike Ant:
http://www.antbikemike.com/

Old November 12th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

"landotter" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 12, 2:07 pm, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:
Anyone ever make a custom headtube badge?
I'm thinking it might be fun to do.
Possibly enameling.
-tom

Alternately, go all primitive like Mike Ant:
http://www.antbikemike.com/

Nice bikes,
here's mine, ended up selling it to a New Yorker for $2,500
http://www.63xc.com/scorcher/scorcher.htm
-tom

Old November 13th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
philcycles[_2_]

Tom Nakashima wrote:
Anyone ever make a custom headtube badge?
I'm thinking it might be fun to do.
Possibly enameling.
-tom

I'd call Rivendell and find out who does their badges.
Phil Brown

Old November 13th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leland Mayne

http://www.headbadges.com/id74.html

Old November 13th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

"Leland Mayne" wrote in message
Tom Nakashima wrote:
Anyone ever make a custom headtube badge?
I'm thinking it might be fun to do.
Possibly enameling.
-tom

http://www.headbadges.com/id74.html

Outstanding Link!
-tom

Old November 13th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Tom Nakashima wrote:
Anyone ever make a custom headtube badge?
I'm thinking it might be fun to do.
Possibly enameling.
-tom

http://www.headbadges.com/id74.html

Outstanding Link!
-tom

Those are pretty sweet.

I'd also suggest finding some place that does wax casting. You form
your design in wax, place it into a cylinder that's then filled with
plaster. Once the plaster dries, it's put into a kiln that burns away
all the wax. There's a process where molten metal is injected into the
negative area in the plaster. It's pretty neat. We had a setup for it
at my high school.

Wax is more forgiving then dremel tool on metal.

/s

Old November 15th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:07:11 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
may have said:

Anyone ever make a custom headtube badge?
I'm thinking it might be fun to do.
Possibly enameling.

I tried something similar once. I hand-drew the design I wanted on a
sheet of .040" copper using an etch-resist pen, etched it down about
..010 with PC board etchant, bent it to the desired curvature, stamped
in the numeric identifiers I needed using my steed leeter and number
stamps, had it chrome plated, and installed it with drive rivets.
This was on a piece of equipment for which an ID plate was mandated
but none was available due to the manufacturer having been out of
business for 20+ years. I could have gone with tin plate and
eliminated the need to stamp it before plating, but chrome seemed like
the better choice. It looked damn good, but the copper was soft; it
would not have been hard for it to have been damaged by incautious
handling. If I'd had access to a rolling mill and thicker stock, I'd
have work-hardened the sheet while reducing its thickness before doing
the etch work. Heating copper just makes it softer.

Old November 15th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

may have said:

[...]

Dear Werehatrack,

Welcome back!

Cheers,