Ultegra shifter repair

Old January 23rd 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Ultegra shifter repair

The right shifter on my bike has been sticking all winter (when I move
the small lever it moves the big lever with it). I think it must have
gotten gunked up and needs a good lube and clean. I was talking to one
of the guys I ride with and he pretty much told me STI shifters are
not repairable, called a LBS and got the same answer. I figured since
the shifter is not working and I will have to replace it why not make
an attempt at repair. So I took it apart, I mean the whole shabang. I
found the problem, hardened grease and one small piece of metal
(broken off a washer-does not impact the working of the washer) which
had embedded itself between two levers. Anyway I cleaned up
everything, and yes I admit it I can't put it back together. I think I
have everything installed correctly except the operation of a small
release lever which clicks the gears one at a time for up shifting.

I checked the shimano website and they do not have any exploded views
of the innards, searching on the Internet hasn't revealed anything
yet.

Any ideas? pointers? etc.

Much appreciated.

P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.
Old January 23rd 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

" wrote:
Any ideas? pointers? etc.

This won't help now, but in the future you might want to take some
closeup digital photos before disassembling something that complex.

Congrats on at least finding the problem. You're braver than most!

Art Harris
Old January 23rd 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fixed

schreef in bericht
[...]

Somebody on this newsgroup posted pictures of an sti assembly.
I downloaded the pictures. but it's a total of 11mb.
I could try and mail them to you

Old January 23rd 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott

On Jan 23, 8:47*am, " wrote:
[...]

When you consider the value of your time, you'd have come out well
ahead to have taken the points from others and just replaced the thing
as recommended.
Old January 23rd 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

All good advice. I like tinkering with stuff so the first instinct is
always "I can do it myself". I think I will eventually figure it out
but I hate to be off the bike for the week (or 2) it seems will take.
I just work at it during night while watching the Australian open
tennis.
I'd have taken close up pictures but my point and shoot digital is not
good with closeups. As they say hind sight is 20/20, I could have
tagged the various rings and springs to mark the order in which they
came out.
Old January 23rd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

P.S. I wish I had seen this news group before I took things apart, the
WD-40 flush and lube may have solved my problem.

WD40, nor any other "lube" I've tried, has come close to being as effective
as PowerLube, available at finer auto-parts stores everywhere. The stuff is
tremendous, and doesn't seem to have problem with colder climates.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 23rd 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 23, 9:47 am, " wrote:
[...]

Here is a link which might help you:-

http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

Its been around for a while so not all the links work.

Lewis.

*****
Old January 23rd 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Jan 23, 7:47*am, " wrote:
[...]

If you do a search, you would find that the only instructions
available are these:

easiest WD40 flush:
http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/noisystilevers.htm

Steve Alkire's 105/8spd disassembly/assembly
http://www.cyclingforum.com/features...IdisDetail.doc

Bill Cotton's STI repair:
http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

Further, besides not having any diagrams or repair manuals available
on repairing STI levers, there is also the problems of not having any
small parts available. In contrast, Campy has all of its small parts
available for its Ergo levers and there is a factory repair manual.
Moreover, if you go to Youtube, there are complete videos on both
assemblying and disassemblying an Ergo lever.
Old January 23rd 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Cotton

wrote in message
On Jan 23, 9:47 am, " wrote:
[...]

Email me the broken link. Front [age has a feature to fix broken link and
one day I will pull it up again.

--
www.billcotton.com