A few months waxing chain

Old December 24th 18, 10:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Power on hills.

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 19:48:09 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/23/2018 7:42 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:10:40 -0800, "Mark J."
wrote:

On 12/22/2018 8:24 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 7:33:29 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:
On 12/22/2018 11:59 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/22/2018 11:21 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 3:54:20 PM UTC+1, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 12:52:51 AM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 8:25:37 PM UTC,
wrote:
At low speeds - those below 100 mph of so, aerodynamic drag really
isn't a large loss unless you're playing for real small power such as
that developed by a human over relatively long periods of time.

Just as a demonstration.

30 square feet of frontal area
coefficient of drag of 0.5
This is similar to a family car

F = 0.5 C ? A V^2

A = Reference area as (see figures above), m2.
C = Drag coefficient (see figures above), unitless.
F = Drag force, N.
V = Velocity, m/s.
? = Density of fluid (liquid or gas), kg/m3. (dry air at 70
degrees F ~ 1.2)

.5 x .5 x 1.2 x 30 x 27 m/s (60 mph) = 243 N
.5 x .5 x 1.2 x 30 x 45 m/s (100 mph) = 337 N

Whereas the power to accelerate the mass of a car which is about 2200
lbs is huge. KE = ½mv²

Thanks for putting the numbers to my argument, Tom.

Andre Jute
DESIGNING AND BUILDING SPECIAL CARS; Batsford, London; Bentley, Boston

I just reading an aero special article in TOUR magazin. Position on the
bike can save you 54 watts or gaining 3.9 km/hr going from riding on
the
tops to riding in the drops. Clothes can make a difference of up to 27
Watt or gaining 2,3 km/hr in speed. An aero bike saves you 16 Watt or
gaining 1.4 km/hr. This is all at a speed of 35 km/r, a speed not
unrealistic for a lot of us. So putting some estimated numbers in a
formula doesn't do the trick IMO.

Lou

It works better when you do the math properly and get the units
right. :-)

Yeah, that is what you get using Mickey Mouse units. Using feet and
ending up with Watt? WTF. Don't you have a Mickey Mouse unit for power?

Maybe for small amounts, we could use mousepower? It seems aesthetically
related to horsepower.

The U.S. system is so picturesque! Distance in furlongs or chains or
feet; weight in a couple different types of pounds and/or ounces; volume
in gallons or barrels or hogsheads, etc...

And you Euro guys have boring conversion factors - nothing but tens all
up and down the scale. We get lots of interesting ones to remember, and
I'm not even talking about SI to U.S. units. I'm just talking about the
conversions _within_ our system!

I wonder how many people in the U.S. know which U.S. units convert to
other U.S. units by multiplying by 231, or 5280, or 33,000, or 128, or
16, (or alternately 14.58, which is related to 7000), or 778.2, or 36,
or 3.

I used to excuse exchange students from having to learn many of these
(e.g. 5280), but I told US residents they were (currently) stuck with
the system, so yes, it might be on the exam.

Mark J.

PS - 640 (Acres in a square mile)

43,560 square feet per acre. (Why on earth do I have that memorized?)

And I've come across volumes of water measured in acre-feet.

Here in the land of hydro-power and mountain reservoirs (Oregon),
acre-feet are in pretty common usage, I think. Pretty sure I've seen
them in the newspapers fairly regularly.

Mark J.

Most trades or industries have their own esoteric language. Irrigation
is often described in acre-feet, horses race over furlongs, bicyclists
describe their power output in something other then the traditional
"horse power" :-)

cheers,

John B.

You left out gear inches.

Yes I did. I reckoned it might be a little complicated what with the
50 inch high wheelers and the 26 inch "low wheeler"mountain bikes,
etc. Although the high wheelers were pretty easy to calculate :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 25th 18, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 24/12/18 8:15 pm, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 19:48:09 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/23/2018 7:42 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Most trades or industries have their own esoteric language. Irrigation
is often described in acre-feet, horses race over furlongs, bicyclists
describe their power output in something other then the traditional
"horse power" :-)

In calculating how many head of stock you can feed from an area of land,
a common measure is "dry sheep equivalent" or DSE. A ewe that is not
producing milk is a dry sheep. 10 DSE per cow is the stocking rate for
cows. We can support about 1 cow per hectare, or 10 DSE per hectare.

You left out gear inches.

Yes I did. I reckoned it might be a little complicated what with the
50 inch high wheelers and the 26 inch "low wheeler"mountain bikes,
etc. Although the high wheelers were pretty easy to calculate :-)

What about "gauge" as in 8, 10 & 12 gauge? Being the number of spheres
of lead with a particular bore diameter that weigh a pound.

--
JS
Old December 25th 18, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

James wrote:
[...]

"Gauge" annoys me because it just refers you to some other arbitrary thing.
Put a 12 gauge shotgun shell, a length of 12 gauge copper wire and piece of
12 gauge sheet aluminum side by side and play "what do these things have in
common?"

Old December 25th 18, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 11:48:38 +1100, James
wrote:

[...]

Except in Cannon where it is the weight of a bore size spherical iron
projectile (4.6" bore)

And, of course, in railroads, gauge is measured in feet and inches or
that funny French measuring system :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 25th 18, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 02:16:08 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

James wrote:
[...]

:-) A "gauge" isn't something it is a term for measuring against some
standard, or another, weight of a lead ball, diameter of a wire or
thickness of a sheet . In plastering a wall one "gauges" the plaster
by mixing specific quantities :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 25th 18, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

James wrote:
[...]

Well, one could refer to sheet metal in inches or mm. The Air Force
did when referring to sheet aluminum used on aircraft. Wire is
measured in mm here and the British refer to a "12 bore" gun and the
French say "un fusil de calibre 12".

cheers,

John B.

Old December 25th 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:

James wrote:
[...]

I suppose we could also discuss the "system" used for women's
clothing sizes, at least in the U.S.

My wife wears a size 7... but seven _what_? And it turns out, one
company's size 7 is not the same as another company's size 7.
I've heard that the pricier brands make their size 7s a bit larger
so some women can feel proud that they fit into a smaller size than
usual.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 25th 18, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 25 Dec 2018 07:12:14 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I suppose we could also discuss the "system" used for women's
clothing sizes, at least in the U.S.

My wife wears a size 7... but seven _what_? And it turns out, one
company's size 7 is not the same as another company's size 7.
I've heard that the pricier brands make their size 7s a bit larger
so some women can feel proud that they fit into a smaller size than
usual.

That's the way it works. Higher priced women's clothes tend to be
larger than the same clothes sold by a department stores. However,
it's not only because of the psychology involved in being thin and
slim. It's because higher end clothing is usually fitted or altered
to the buyers exact size by a seamstress. Making it a bit large
allows the seamstress some leeway in order to deal with odd body
shapes and sizes. However, this is a minor concern as anyone buying
clothes off the rack that is destined to be fitted or altered is
instructed to buy a loose fit or at least one size larger.

My contribution to the confusion is the "Helen" as a unit of feminine
beauty. It is said that Helen of Troy had a face which launched a
thousand ships. Therefore, one milli-Helen can launch one ship. It
also works in the negative, where minus one milli-Helen will sink one
ship.

List of unusual units of measurement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement

List of humorous units of measurement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 25th 18, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

List of unusual units of measurement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_units_of_measurement

List of humorous units of measurement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement

"minus one milli-Helen will sink one ship."

I think I dated her sister

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/