More touirng bike questions please?

Old April 22nd 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default More touirng bike questions please?

On Apr 22, 8:30 am, wrote:
wrote:
My only experience with an Air Friday was a quick (maybe 5 mile) test
ride. It was nimble and snappy, a fun ride. It's what convinced me
to get the New World Tourist. But I imagine the detriments I feel the
NWT has must exist in the AF as well.

What detriments are those?

For the THIRD time: "The Cannondale rolls easier, carries loads
easier, shifts
better (as mentioned in the other thread), accepts accessories more
easily, and doesn't try to topple over when I straddle it at a stop
light. (Top tubes are useful!) "

I know people who use their Fridays as their #1 bike, so the benefit/
detriment balance is different for different people. And I wouldn't
want to give mine up. But for me, it's the #3 bike unless I'm
traveling.

Whats your number one and two bikes?

Cannondale touring bike and ancient Raleigh road bike, the latter
being decked out for commuting & utility cycling.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 23rd 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Patrick Lamb wrote:

Frank, how long does it take you to fold the BF? I've been looking
both at BF and an S&S coupled diamond frame, and the S&S keeps
sounding better and better (not least for clydesdale-carrying
capability).

My only problem with S&S couplings is I could see where
I may want to take a LONG day ride...such as 80
miles.... and have someone pick me up in their car at
other end to ride back home. So Bike Friday might be
faster fold than S&S in this situation? can someone
tell me for sure?
Old April 23rd 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 22, 10:23 pm, Patrick Lamb wrote:

Frank, how long does it take you to fold the BF? I've been looking
both at BF and an S&S coupled diamond frame, and the S&S keeps
sounding better and better (not least for clydesdale-carrying
capability).

There are two ways to fold a Bike Friday New World Tourist: the "quick
fold" and the "suitcase fold."

"Quick fold" is: Take off any accessories; position the cranks
horizontal, loosen the QR at the bottom of the long handlebar stem,
loosen the main QR above/behind the bottom bracket; pull the handlebar/
stem combo out of the head tube (cables will still be attached); fold
the seat mast and seat forward; pivot the rear triangle forward,
underneath the rest of the bike; hang the handlebars sideways across
the main frame tube. (On my bike, I find it easier to also loosen the
seat QR and take the seat/seatpost out.) Folding or unfolding take
me about two minutes. It's great for popping the bike into the trunk
of a car.

"Suitcase fold" is much more involved, and requires a few tools. In
addition to the above, unscrew the pedals; unbolt and split the
handlebars; remove front wheel (and fender); put lots of various
protection sleeves, bags, etc. on the bike to prevent scratching or
bending of various bits; then fit the three-dimensional puzzle into
the suitcase. That takes me at least 20 minutes, but I suppose it
would be faster if I practiced more often. It takes longer if I'm
also taking the trailer attachments for the suitcase, because fitting
everything in the case is that much harder.

Bike Friday has a new model, the Tikit, that literally folds in five
seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYAvB7jkyA
But I haven't yet seen one in real life. People seem to like it, but
I don't think I'd go for 16" wheels.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 23rd 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Bike Friday has a new model, the Tikit, that literally folds in five
seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYAvB7jkyA
But I haven't yet seen one in real life. People seem to like it, but
I don't think I'd go for 16" wheels.

I have one and like it very well

I bought it used tho...and may have gotten one a bit to
small for me

It is a medium frame....and I think I should have
gotten large frame

I haven't logged too many miles on it yet.... to REALLY
make up my mind abt it..... plus the fact its a bit
small for me.