handlebar question

Old April 23rd 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
xzzy

Default handlebar question

I am returning to racing after some injuries ( 7 years ago ), my previous
bike had Cinelli 66 42cm handlebars. Today, handlebars have a much shorter
reach, and also a shorter drop.

For a 31.8 stem, is there anything similar to a Cinelli 66 42cm?

If not then any suggestion to get the stem/handlebar to approximate a
Cinelli 66 would be helpful.

Thank you!

Old April 23rd 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Apr 22, 5:22 pm, "xzzy" wrote:
I am returning to racing after some injuries ( 7 years ago ), my previous
bike had Cinelli 66 42cm handlebars. Today, handlebars have a much shorter
reach, and also a shorter drop.

For a 31.8 stem, is there anything similar to a Cinelli 66 42cm?

If not then any suggestion to get the stem/handlebar to approximate a
Cinelli 66 would be helpful.

Thank you!

Cinelli 66s have a drop of 158mm c-c, or 182mm top-bottom. A quick
look at the ITM catalog (http://www.itm.it/) shows many models between
178-181mm t-b drop. Most 3Ts and Salsas are much shallower, by about
20mm. Dedas appear to be somewhere in between.
Old April 23rd 08, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 23, 4:08*am, Hank wrote:
On Apr 22, 5:22 pm, "xzzy" wrote:

I am returning to racing after some injuries ( 7 years ago ), my previous
bike had Cinelli 66 42cm handlebars. *Today, handlebars have a much shorter
reach, and also a shorter drop.

For a 31.8 stem, is there anything similar to a Cinelli 66 42cm?

If not then any suggestion to get the stem/handlebar to approximate a
Cinelli 66 would be helpful.

Thank you!

Cinelli 66s have a drop of 158mm c-c, or 182mm top-bottom. A quick
look at the ITM catalog (http://www.itm.it/) shows many models between
178-181mm t-b drop. Most 3Ts and Salsas are much shallower, by about
20mm. Dedas appear to be somewhere in between.

I used to run Cinelli 66's, and the biggest problem I found in trying
to get a modern bar similar is the very short straight part of the
drop. The part that points toward the rear. ITM in particular seems
very short.

My tastes have since switched to shallow drop, and I like the Cinelli
Palm which has a classic (shallow) bend, reasonably long drops, and
flat comfy tops.

Joseph
Old April 24th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
xzzy

thank you for your help. the solution I choose is: use a longer stem until
I can get an ITM europa classic.

Old April 24th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 24, 5:28*pm, "xzzy" wrote:
thank you for your help. *the solution I choose is: use a longer stem until
I can get an ITM europa classic.

I have an ITM Visia Classic which had similar dimensions (on the web
at least) to the Europa. The straight parts of the drops are very
short.

I had a similar layoff (a bit longer!) and I found I needed to modify
my position a bit in a way that shorter reach bars were just what I
needed.

Joseph