Fifth Element Air

Old March 1st 04, 11:05 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Fifth Element Air

RE/
The question is whether this is true to a degree that justifies
blowing $350.00. The cash is not an issue per se, but maybe it could
be put to better use (wheels) if the shock upgrade is more hype than
reality.

Anybody have any experience / opinions?

I replaced my Fox with a Romic coilover that's purported to do the same thing.

Bottom line, I'm a happy camper.

I noticed a difference in feel as soon as I rode the new shock - but I'm not
perceptive/knowledgable enough to describe it - just that I preferred it.

I checked for pedal bob by watching the shock. Maybe it reduces bob somewhat
at a spinning cadence - but there's still movement down there with each stroke.
OTOH, out of the saddle - taking long, slow strokes - there's zero bob...none
whatsoever.

What prompted me to buy was the turnaround time on the Fox repairs and a desire
for bulletproffness...any performance benefit was gravy. Now I've got the Fox
as a backup against the day the Romic starts dribbling fluid...
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 1st 04, 11:14 PM
Doug Taylor

Now that the temp is 50 deg here in upstate NY, my thoughts have
drifted back to biking. Not that we will be on the trails before May
due to snow cover for the rest of this month and mud the next, but ya
gotta dream and plan in between doing winter sports.

So, I have a bit of cash to blow on upgrades and was thinking about
the Fifth Element Air to replace the Fox Vanilla rear shock on my
Superlight. The Fox is in decent shape after 2 seasons of abuse, but
the Fifth Element "reportedly" reduces bob which is common on a single
pivot.

The question is whether this is true to a degree that justifies
blowing $350.00. The cash is not an issue per se, but maybe it could
be put to better use (wheels) if the shock upgrade is more hype than
reality.

Anybody have any experience / opinions?

--dt
Old March 2nd 04, 01:16 AM
Small Black Dog

Doug Taylor wrote:

[...]

no first hand experience but i've got a few friends with 5th element
coilover/oil shocks and they are the most pleased bunch of folk i ride
with. The coil over shock is arguably one of the best in the world, many
people say that about the air shock, to. I'm inclined to agree.

definately a good thing to look into

Small Black Dog
Old March 2nd 04, 02:31 AM
Michael Dart

In ,
Doug Taylor typed:
[...]

My friend is running one on his Heckler and loves the ride. He has
tried/owned a lot of bikes of different designs and equipment. Go for it.

Mike

Old March 3rd 04, 11:35 PM
Ivan

Doug Taylor wrote in message

The question is whether this is true to a degree that justifies
blowing $350.00. The cash is not an issue per se, but maybe it could
be put to better use (wheels) if the shock upgrade is more hype than
reality.

One of the local tracks has singletrack uphill to 1/4 mile of
doubletrack uphill. Friend of mine rides a superlight with the fox.
I have a 5th element coil over (4-bar linkage frame style). Uphill
side x side comparison had him bobbing and me not (he's only 205 lbs,
i'm towards 220lbs). Different friend bought a Blur with the 5th
element air. Apparently its much more difficult to nail the
adjustments on. He's still trying (got the bike last august or so).

Good luck.