how d'ya wake up a Flight Deck?

Old April 24th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default how d'ya wake up a Flight Deck?

Got my Flight Deck (9-speed version, not the latest one) installed and
also did a little maintenance (cleaned the old chain in a can of carb
dip, cleaned off the sprockets with some Brakleen, shop rags, and
Q-tips, examined old chain, looked at horrible patch job PO had done
with two completely different brands of chain, which was hidden by
layers of black grease, went to LBS, bought a shiny new SRAM chain...
sigh... pretty soon I'm going to stop spending money and simply ride...
at least according to my tape measure it wasn't stretched enough to
notice, and it was working perfectly well, just greasy and nasty) anyway
everything seems to be completely copacetic other than I have not yet
lubed the shifter cables and the shifting is still slightly weird, but
I'm hoping that a little tweaking will get it right. One issue - I
installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try a ride
until this evening. I rode around for about a mile, and the FD never
woke up. I pulled into my driveway, started playing with the buttons,
eventually after punching one of the buttons on the back of the FD it
woke up and worked normally for another short ride. I thought it was
supposed to wake up automatically when you started to ride? I've got
the magnet set about 2mm away from the sensor... or is there an
undocumented procedure for waking it up? Simply hitting either button
on the brifters didn't do anything, not sure why hitting the one on the
unit did the trick.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 24th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben Pfaff

Nate Nagel writes:

I installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try
a ride until this evening. I rode around for about a mile, and
the FD never woke up. I pulled into my driveway, started
playing with the buttons, eventually after punching one of the
buttons on the back of the FD it woke up and worked normally
for another short ride. I thought it was supposed to wake up
automatically when you started to ride?

No, Flight Deck bike computers only wake up when you push one of
the buttons on the unit itself.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
Old April 24th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ben Pfaff wrote:
Nate Nagel writes:

I installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try
a ride until this evening. I rode around for about a mile, and
the FD never woke up. I pulled into my driveway, started
playing with the buttons, eventually after punching one of the
buttons on the back of the FD it woke up and worked normally
for another short ride. I thought it was supposed to wake up
automatically when you started to ride?

No, Flight Deck bike computers only wake up when you push one of
the buttons on the unit itself.

Well, that'd explain it, then! I guess I better download the manual and
see if there's anything else I missed. (the seller was kind enough to
include the manual that came with it, but apparently Shimano included
the manual for the earlier version not the current one, and it implies
that it wakes up automatically or by "pressing one of the buttons" and
didn't specify on the unit. It was close enough to get it set up for my
bike though.)

nate

Old April 24th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 23, 5:58 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Got my Flight Deck (9-speed version, not the latest one) installed and
also did a little maintenance (cleaned the old chain...

... One issue - I
installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try a ride
until this evening. I rode around for about a mile, and the FD never
woke up...

(Huh? [Subject line begins to dawn on me... ])

... I pulled into my driveway, started playing with the buttons...

Okay, I get it. You're talking about the Flight Deck (some kind of
electronic odometer thingie, right?)

(I was initially reading "FD" = "Front Derailleur". FWIW.)
Old April 24th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

Dan O wrote:

Okay, I get it. You're talking about the Flight Deck (some kind of
electronic odometer thingie, right?)

(I was initially reading "FD" = "Front Derailleur". FWIW.)

I was going to suggest "drop a bomb on it." That usually wakes 'em up in
a hurry.
Old April 24th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 23, 11:19*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Apr 23, 5:58 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Got my Flight Deck (9-speed version, not the latest one) installed and
also did a little maintenance (cleaned the old chain...
... *One issue - I
installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to try a ride
until this evening. *I rode around for about a mile, and the FD never
woke up...

(Huh? *[Subject line begins to dawn on me... ])

... *I pulled into my driveway, started playing with the buttons...

Okay, I get it. *You're talking about the Flight Deck (some kind of
electronic odometer thingie, right?)

(I was initially reading "FD" = "Front Derailleur". *FWIW.)

Nope, sorry 'bout that. All the mechanical stuff is actually working
fairly well. Didn't mean to confuse anyone, was just in a hurry with
the fingers.

nate
Old April 24th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

Ben Pfaff wrote:
Nate Nagel writes:

I installed the FD last night but I didn't get a chance to
try a ride until this evening. I rode around for about a
mile, and the FD never woke up. I pulled into my
driveway, started playing with the buttons, eventually
after punching one of the buttons on the back of the FD it
woke up and worked normally for another short ride. I
thought it was supposed to wake up automatically when you
started to ride?

No, Flight Deck bike computers only wake up when you push one
of the buttons on the unit itself.

Actually that's a bit misleading. The buttons 'on the unit
itself' are on the back and are intended to be accessed when
the unit is off the bike.

It should wake up on its own when the magnet passes the sensor,
but it doesn't start 'recording' until you press a button on the
brake hood. (The left if you have one button on each side) you
can tell it's running when the Mile/h or Km/h on the display
starts to flash.

HTH
Greg
Old April 24th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Apr 24, 3:29*pm, Greg Evans wrote:
Ben Pfaff wrote:
Nate Nagel writes:

[...]

That's not how mine works. Actually it only wakes up if I press the
"A" button on the unit itself. Nothing happens if I spin the front
wheel, press the "B" button, or press either of the buttons on the
brifters. the newer version of the manual, which I DL'd last night,
says that you need to press a button to wake it up but it does not
specify on the unit, but like I said the buttons on the brifters have
no effect.

I was able to determine through trial and error that pressing the "A"
button will wake it up every time so i'll just not worry about it.
It's not like I can claim a warranty replacement as I bought it cheap
on eBay from a private party. I don't think the seller ever installed
it, so can't blame him.

nate
Old April 24th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

N8N wrote:

That's not how mine works. Actually it only wakes up if I
press the "A" button on the unit itself.

I do have the wireless sensor on mine, that could explain the
difference in 'waking up' behavior.

Hmm... I wonder if the buttons on your brifters are working
correctly. The left button should correspond to the 'A'
button (or the more forward button if you have both buttons
on one hood). It wouldn't be the end of the world for your
'A' button on the brifter to not function, but it is the
stop/start for the odometer and the stopwatch function.

You might want to check to be sure your 'A' brifter button
is really working.

You can download a manual for the SC-6501 or SC-6502 he
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/cycle/sac/us/en/technical_service/flight_deck.html

Mine (and I suspect, yours) is a SC-6500 but the differences from
6500 to 6501 are slight.

Greg
Old April 24th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Greg Evans wrote:
N8N wrote:

[...]

Mine's a 6501 and the "A" button does function, and I'm also getting a
shifter position signal from the left brifter. the brifter button does
not wake it up however.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

FS: Ultegra flight Deck 9/10 $33 mike Marketplace 0 February 18th 06 06:39 PM
Flight Deck Bob Chambers Australia 1 December 17th 04 10:12 AM
Shimano Flight Deck Bob Chambers Australia 6 November 15th 04 11:26 AM
pantour hubs, d'ya buy em? d'ya recommend them? dan schaper Recumbent Biking 0 August 20th 04 02:10 AM
Flight-deck compatibility ST-EF-29-7 ? Patrick E. King UK 4 August 3rd 04 12:06 PM