Sea to Shining Sea Support

Old February 23rd 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
-RB

Default Sea to Shining Sea Support

Are you interested in a limited support coast to coast bicycle ride?
Then join me and my group, we will help you have a dream vacation.
I’m setting off on a coast to coast bicycling journey this coming
summer. The plan is to include RAGBRAI in our trip. I’m riding with
two friends from the San Francisco Bay area to Yorktown, Virginia
following Adventure Cycling Association (ACA) maps. The Western
Express route to mid Kansas, up to RAGBRAI, then back down to the
Transamerica map. We are between 45 and 54-years of age, two men, one
woman. We also have one set of retired parents driving a support van
for us. We are not partiers but do have an occasional alcoholic
beverage. We feel we are fun loving people. We’re planning our
departure date to be July 2nd.

We will dip our rear wheels in the Pacific Ocean, probably Santa Cruz
or near San Gregorio, CA. We’ll dip our front wheels in the
Atlantic. We would like to have at least a dozen riders in our group,
including us, to help defray the cost of our drivers, support vehicle,
and fuel. I’m thinking the cost will be around $800 apiece. We have
recreational/race type bikes so we do not want to carry anything on
them.

We expect to take around 37 to 39 days in total so it means we’ll be
on the move for an average 130 plus miles per day. We do expect we’ll
take one day off per week for rest and laundry, or sightseeing,
probably every seven or eight days. I expect most of us will fly home
so we will pre-arrange our flights and plan the trip accordingly.

All food will be on your own; however there should be room in the van
for small coolers and a Coleman stove. Of course room for duffle bags
and camp chairs too. The ACA maps have details needed to find food
and services along the way.

The following links well get you to the maps we'll be using so you can
get a general idea of the route…

http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...ernexpress.cfm
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm

If you’d like more information please contact me at R B s k i i
.

-RB
Old March 17th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Dien Cai Dau

If you are going to Yorktown, VA you are neither going to the coast, nor are
you dipping your front wheels into the Atlantic Ocean. Yorktown is on the
York River, which empties into the Chesapeake Bay a few miles southeast.
The Chesapeake Bay, in turn, connects to the Ocean about 75 miles
south-southeast between Norfolk and Virginia Beach, VA.

If you really want to go to the shore/ocean, when you get to Jamestown, VA
get off the Transamerica and cross the James River on the Jamestown-Scotland
Neck Ferry. Follow Rt 10 to Rt 50 at Surry, VA. Turn left and follow Rt 50
to Rt 460 to Rt 13N to Virginia Beach.

"-RB" wrote in message
....[Content deleted to conserve space]....
I’m setting off on a coast to coast bicycling journey this coming
summer. ...[Content deleted to conserve space]..... I’m riding with
two friends from the San Francisco Bay area to Yorktown, Virginia
....[Content deleted to conserve space].....

We will dip our rear wheels in the Pacific Ocean, probably Santa Cruz
or near San Gregorio, CA. We’ll dip our front wheels in the
Atlantic. ...[Content deleted to conserve space]....

Sea to Shining Sea Support -RB General 7 March 1st 09 11:31 PM
Sea to Shining Sea Support -RB Social Issues 1 February 23rd 09 12:32 PM
Another shining example of Henry! ST[_2_] Racing 9 September 9th 08 05:29 PM
Light shining in from my mom's window beside her front door Sofa Unicycling 7 June 5th 04 10:58 PM
Shining Bright American cars Red Cloud General 39 June 5th 04 02:34 PM