new to the group

Old November 3rd 04, 04:48 AM

The Badger asked:

Would you not want to be an expert bike handler on your own
before trying to tow a trailer with a child?

A trailer is much easier than a trail-cycle, IMO. The trailer has much
less impact on the bike's handling than a trail-cycle.

RFM

Old November 3rd 04, 05:05 AM
Badger_South

On 2 Nov 2004 19:48:30 -0800, "
wrote:

The Badger asked:

Would you not want to be an expert bike handler on your own
before trying to tow a trailer with a child?

A trailer is much easier than a trail-cycle, IMO. The trailer has much
less impact on the bike's handling than a trail-cycle.

RFM

What is a trail-cycle? You mean a bike with a kid's seat attached to the
frame?

With the trailer, I thought I heard that there is a definite learning
curve, wrt learning not to dump it on sharp turns and soforth.

I'm just concerned that a person would be starting back on the bike and
immediately be going to a bike and trailer before learning basic bike
handling, that's all. Maybe I missed something in the thread and the person
is already a seasoned cyclist. If so, apologies.

-B

Old November 3rd 04, 05:18 AM
SuperEeyore

Badger_South wrote:
With the trailer, I thought I heard that there is a definite learning
curve, wrt learning not to dump it on sharp turns and soforth.

Now that I've read the faq and the trailor file, it seems like that the
trailor is very much like riding alone, except when riding in packs. The
only concerns that were given on dumping it, was "S" turns.

I'm just concerned that a person would be starting back on the bike
and immediately be going to a bike and trailer before learning basic
bike handling, that's all. Maybe I missed something in the thread and
the person is already a seasoned cyclist. If so, apologies.

It wouldn't be an immediate 7 mile haul in both directions. Likely I would
buy the bike and trailor in January with hopes of taking my time and
learning properly until taking up the official commute in late June.

Laurel

---

Old November 3rd 04, 04:51 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Badger_South" wrote in message
On 2 Nov 2004 19:48:30 -0800, "
wrote:

The Badger asked:

Would you not want to be an expert bike handler on your own
before trying to tow a trailer with a child?

A trailer is much easier than a trail-cycle, IMO. The trailer has much
less impact on the bike's handling than a trail-cycle.

RFM

What is a trail-cycle? You mean a bike with a kid's seat attached to the
frame?

With the trailer, I thought I heard that there is a definite learning
curve, wrt learning not to dump it on sharp turns and soforth.

I'm just concerned that a person would be starting back on the bike and
immediately be going to a bike and trailer before learning basic bike
handling, that's all. Maybe I missed something in the thread and the

person
is already a seasoned cyclist. If so, apologies.

I rode my daughter on a trail-cycle to commute to school when she was
4/5 years old. I was a seasoned cyclist only if you count folk who
learned to ride around the block as a kid and then decided to ride
again for fun 20 something years later. I didn't start road biking, on
the back of a tandem until a few years later. I still don't have my
own road bike. (Though I should have one soon, I broke my arm
the Friday before I was to go out shopping with my roadie husband.
Cast comes off next week, whooo hooo.) I had no trouble balancing
a wiggly four year old. Those trail-a-bikes, or at least mine, that
attached to a rack, not the seat post, are pretty stable.

Cathy

Old November 3rd 04, 06:09 PM

Badger asked:

What is a trail-cycle?

It's a sort of half-bike with one wheel at the rear. The front attaches
to the seat-post of the real bike or to a hitch on a special rack. It's
kind of like an articulated tandem. You probably know it as a
trail-a-bike, which is Adam's trademark for their product.

RFM

Old November 3rd 04, 10:17 PM
alan

Here's a link to the League bicycling education page:
http://www.bikeleague.org/educenter/education.htm

There's a database of courses and instructors.

--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

"Badger_South" wrote in message

True, dat.

-B