The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

Old April 12th 11, 03:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Harry Brogan[_7_]

Default The Bermuda Triangle of Cycling: L.A. to N.Y. to Miami

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:24:52 -0400, Forrest Hodge
wrote:

On 4/11/2011 2:39 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher wrote:
Outside Magazine has run this article of "Rage Against Your Machine,"
where cycling in N.Y. is seen as a very dangerous activity, and
comments from California and Miami confirm that. Here's comment from
California:

"Having been the victim of two careless drivers... I still bike and
the rage remains."

"I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years... It's ten
hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."

And I can confirm the same from Miami. Then the triangle is formed.
Notice how Key West falls outside the triangle and and so does
Portland and San Diego, which I hear has many bike lanes. Texas, on
the other hand, falls in the triangle and many bad things are heard
from there.

Don't call me superstitious just wise, Wise TibetanMonkey.

TEN hours a DAY commuting?? BULL****. Your numbers simply would NOT
add up for an average work day. Figure that if you commute for TEN
hours and work for EIGHT that's eighteen hours. Then if you add in
simple things, like EATING, SHOWERING and going to the bathroom you
are NOT getting any sleep. If you add in just ONE hour a day for each
of those you are at 21 hours total for EACH day. I don't know of
anyone that's going to last long on THREE hours of rest for very long.

Therefore you TEN hour-a-day commute is complete BULL****.

Old April 12th 11, 07:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

Philosopher wrote:
[...]

It says 10 hours A WEEK, doesn't it?

The guy in the article though...

When I heard about Simonetti's commute—some 50-odd road miles as
Google Maps flies—I was vaguely stupefied. It may or may not be the
longest bike commute in America...

Note he does it TWICE A WEEK!

Old April 12th 11, 11:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Harry Brogan[_7_]

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 17:05:56 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

.. .

Philosopher wrote:
[...]

My mistake. I did misread it.

With that said, if you are having all of those problems being in
"combat" perhaps you are better off taking some form of public
transportation.

Seems that ALL of those delivery riders do it on a day to day basis.
And I am sure that they have their problems. But, if it's as bad as
YOU say it is, businesses like that wouldn't last long....
Old April 13th 11, 12:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Those are personal accounts from the magazine. I think you have to
subscribe to read it but it's a great article.

Here are a couple of comments that I subscribe to:

"Overtaking crashes are quite rare (8.6% of crashes). And riding to
the right will not prevent them -- many of those 8.6% occurred on
shoulders and bike lanes. Taking the lane works. It's not moral --
it's fact."

(I do support TAKING THE LANE all the time. There's only one way to go
and that's over my dead body.)

"Great article! Although he hints at it (drivers think cyclists are
'losers' and are glad to not be one of them), Vanderbilt does not
recognize the class issues that affect some motorist-cyclist
relations. Although perhaps less pronounced amongst spandex-clad
roadies on carbon bikes, those who bike because they have no other
option (especially in public transportation-challenged cities like Los
Angeles, where I live) must also bear the brunt of drivers who think
of themselves as superior."

(I said that before. Elite cyclists often behave aggressive and give
the rest a bad reputation. "The rest" also is also the "mundane" or
commuter cyclist.)

Old April 13th 11, 12:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
ATP

wrote:

. ..

Philosopher wrote:
[...]

I just joined the thread. I'm not sure how bad it is, but those businesses
can keep on going as long as there are young men willing to be messengers.

Old April 13th 11, 01:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Philosopher wrote:
[...]

The guy in the story is not a messenger. He's professional therapist
or something.

You can still talk about messengers though.
Old April 13th 11, 02:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

I'm scanning through the article and find the first three issues:

1- Reckless driving,

2- Hit & Run,

3- Indifferent police/judicial system...

SOMEWHERE SOUTH of Pelham, Simonetti tells me of a crash last summer,
in the Bronx, that left him with a broken collarbone. It was a "right
hook," one of the most common crash types for cyclists: a driver,
traveling in Simonetti's lane ahead of him, suddenly turned right—
without signaling—directly into Simonetti's path. An ambulance
responded quickly, but the police did not. The paramedics told
Simonetti the police would deal with the driver when they arrived, he
says. "But the guy left. I don't blame him." When the police,
investigating what was now a hit-and-run, came to the hospital, they
asked him if he'd gotten the license-plate number. "I was laid out on
the ground," he laughs. The driver was never found.
Old April 16th 11, 04:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 15, 10:22 am, Jym Dyer wrote:
_Outside_magazine_ allegedly writes:

| "I've ridden to work in Manhattan everyday for six years...
| It's ten hours a week of combat commuting at its purest."

Forrest Hodge replies:

Ten hours a week in commuting? Wouldn't the subway be faster
and arguably less dangerous?

=v= Years of grassroots activism has transformed Manhattan
into a fantastic (and, statistically, very safe) place to bike.
I feel sorry for the person quoted in _Outside_, constrained
only by a fearful mind, assuming that he/she actually exists.

=v= There are outer parts of the five boros where the subway
doen't reach, not to mention New Jersey. Some of these areas
have wider roads and more speeding, reckless motorists than
you'll find in Manhattan. Still, any 1-hour commute there is
going to include some awesome bike routes.
_Jym_

Read the comments from *all over the nation* before denying
everything. What is this, false too?

"Last September, in Maryland, Natasha Pettigrew, a Green Party
candidate for U.S. Senate, was training at dawn for a triathlon when
she was fatally struck by a Cadillac Escalade. No charges have yet
been filed against the driver, who said that she thought she'd hit an
animal until she got home and found Pettigrew's bike lodged under her
car. In Florida, the country's deadliest state for cyclists—119 deaths
in 2007, ten more than California despite having half the population—
two riders participating in last year's annual Memorial Day ride were
stabbed by a driver after words were exchanged on the road."