Fast Intervals Work Fast

Old February 17th 12, 02:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill[_3_]

Default Fast Intervals Work Fast

When I couldn't swim last month I tried cycling up a short hill as
fast as possible. I got up to six intervals and then started mixing
it with running up the hill because I hardly ever run. The article is
correct. Intervals work fast and don't take much time -- a 2 fold
time saver. In fact, I am going out the door right now to time a few.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ve-our-health/
Old February 17th 12, 06:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Justin[_3_]

On 17 feb, 03:22, Bret Cahill wrote:
When I couldn't swim last month I tried cycling up a short hill as
fast as possible. *I got up to six intervals and then started mixing
it with running up the hill because I hardly ever run. *The article is
correct. *Intervals work fast and don't take much time -- a 2 fold
time saver. *In fact, I am going out the door right now to time a few.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ntervals-can-i...

My club is experimenting with new training techniques for the junior
riders. We have developed a system for a couple of them which entails
a training of 15 minutes at full intensity (on rollers) twice a week.
This must be performed at 120 rpm

Before the road season they will do 5 extensive training rides. The
idea behind this is that the peak moments in races are those which
cause riders to give up: if a rider can survive these peaks he/she is
equipped to perform well. Distance is made in the races.

This has been successful with one rider representing Holland in
cyclocross and on the road. The national coaches are contacting the
club to gain more information about this approach.

Before going to France, Boardman trained for no more than one and a
half hours. Tabata training is similar to what you describe.
Interesting article: very much in line with the latest research
advising cyclists to train at a higher intensity than was previously
advised.
Old February 17th 12, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Feb 17, 6:12*am, Justin wrote:
[...]

Which just goes to show that one must train in all weather at racing
distances to gain the skills necessary to race and that 1.1/2hours
riding in good conditions aint gonna cut it. CB could have been a
much better professional if he had ridden in the sleet and the snow to
exhaustion as an amateur. If you want to be the best, you need to
experience and come through the worst. Learn your road skills and
keep pushing the edge.

Tabata training is similar to what you describe.
Interesting article: very much in line with the latest research
advising cyclists to train at a higher intensity than was previously
advised.

Duh, sounds like you heard the wrong advice. Pyramid. Big fat base
level training, working harder (to quicker exhaustion) as you get
towards the season. Speed training must be elevated during the last
six weeks prior to racing. Get them legs spinning.

Old February 17th 12, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Justin[_3_]

On 17 feb, 14:41, thirty-six wrote:
On Feb 17, 6:12*am, Justin wrote:

[...]

Your reply is 30 years out of date. New research has completely
changed training techniques: no prof teams have decided to conduct
their pre-season in sleet and snow. They seem to favour Spain. The
body needs to be at between 38 and 39 degrees Centigrade to perform at
its atheletic best. Even if the inner core reaches this in the sleet
and snow, the leg muscles will lag behind because of the cold.
What do you see as the increased performance Boardman could have shown
after having ridden in snow and sleet?

Tabata training is similar to what you describe.
Interesting article: very much in line with the latest research
advising cyclists to train at a higher intensity than was previously
advised.

Duh, sounds like you heard the wrong advice. *Pyramid. * Big fat base
level training, working harder (to quicker exhaustion) as you get
towards the season. *Speed training must be elevated during the last
six weeks prior to racing. * Get them legs spinning.

The advice varies: certainly the modern research is to train for
shorter distances at higher intensities. Pyramids are only of any use
when the last effort is the most intense. Our success with the new
methods and the interest of the national coaches does seem to support
our approach.
We would consider 15 minutes at 120 rpm as spinning the legs.
Old February 17th 12, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Default Arrow T72 Insulated Staple Wire Tacker

Arrow T72 Insulated Staple Wire Tacker

• Speeds securing of domestic cable runs

• 12mm clips fit 2.5mm² twin and earth cable

• 15mm clips for 6mm² twin and earth cable

• Removable wire guide

• Simple reloading

University
Old February 17th 12, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"thirty-six" wrote in message

Tabata training is similar to what you describe.
Interesting article: very much in line with the latest research
advising cyclists to train at a higher intensity than was previously
advised.

Duh, sounds like you heard the wrong advice. Pyramid. Big fat base
level training, working harder (to quicker exhaustion) as you get
towards the season. Speed training must be elevated during the last
six weeks prior to racing. Get them legs spinning.

When I was training, I'd get in 6000 miles of base miles in and then ramp it
up in February by doing near max heart rate session three times a week.
I would beat regular racers who just mucked about with junk easy miles come
March.

--
Simon Mason

Old February 17th 12, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Feb 17, 6:12*am, Justin wrote:

[...]

Prepare the legs before riding, rub them with a brush, oil them,
pummel them and do some jumping on the spot. Wear tights with
imprermeable fronts and pedal like Billy Whizz.

What do you see as the increased performance Boardman could have shown
after having ridden in snow and sleet?

Not falling off when it rained!

Tabata training is similar to what you describe.
Interesting article: very much in line with the latest research
advising cyclists to train at a higher intensity than was previously
advised.

Duh, sounds like you heard the wrong advice. *Pyramid. * Big fat base
level training, working harder (to quicker exhaustion) as you get
towards the season. *Speed training must be elevated during the last
six weeks prior to racing. * Get them legs spinning.

The advice varies: certainly the modern research is to train for
shorter distances at higher intensities. Pyramids are only of any use
when the last effort is the most intense. Our success with the new
methods and the interest of the national coaches does seem to support
our approach.
We would consider 15 minutes at 120 rpm as spinning the legs.

It's a start, but road racing requires a jump and riders will develop
more power easier using higher cadence. Riders who force themselves
to pedal faster and fluently will accelerate quicker without having to
chase gear selections. On the road it is simple, one rides in a
comfortable gear and slowly eases into a comfortable speed as one
warms up. All this is, is a touring speed, and when itching to go one
accelerates to maximum cadence and holds it, trying to make it as
smooth as possible. It's all about concentration in making the
turning effort consistent around the circle. These spinning efforts
may only be twenty seconds and 130rpm to start with but as souplesse
develops the cadence and period increase. After six weeks effort in
making it easy (no high gears) I was able to accelerate from about
20mph to 48mph in about six seconds and hold it there for ten
seconds. It was a cadence of about 95 to 230rpm . I could hold
170rpm for around 2 minutes.
Of course it was difficult to convince another who believed that
bigger gears make you go faster until shown that my legs really did go
like Billy Whizz when using a 17 or so sprocket. As the muscle
time again every 10 to 20 minutes of riding. It is essential to fast
advancement to either extend the smootth period or raise the cadence
with each effort in a session. My sessions were typically around 75
minutes and I'd mansge six 'sprints'. There was no set structure, I
made the accelerations when everything felt too easy. Sometimes I'd
come back down to the light cruising speed and accelerate hard again
if I felt right. I was able to develop a feel when I knew I could
manage something harder on the second application. Occasionally I
would continue a ride to extend to between two to three hours when it
felt good to do that.
What I was doing probably closely resembles what Peter Konopka
referred to as fartlek but I made the smoothness of pedalling the
prime importance, not the speeds or winning the sprint. It was
probably the most enjoyable cycling I have ever done. Why make it
hard when it's naturally easy?

Old February 17th 12, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Feb 17, 6:27*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

Tabata training is similar to what you describe.
Interesting article: very much in line with the latest research
advising cyclists to train at a higher intensity than was previously
advised.

Duh, sounds like you heard the wrong advice. *Pyramid. * Big fat base
level training, working harder (to quicker exhaustion) as you get
towards the season. *Speed training must be elevated during the last
six weeks prior to racing. * Get them legs spinning.

When I was training, I'd get in 6000 miles of base miles in and then ramp it
up in February by doing near max heart rate session three times a week.

Heart rate is a poor indicator for training effort unless one also
practises controlled breathing to maximise the blowing off of carbon
dioxide to minimise the effect of acidosis. getting the acid away
from the active muscles is key, which is why higher cadences are
easier at racing speeds when they have been trained for. Even
dropping a gear for just a minute can blow off enough CO2 to help one
maintain pace. It's never over till it's over and that is only when
you cant hold over 115rpm in any gear.

I would beat regular racers who just mucked about with junk easy miles come
March.

Yep, you should be going hard enough that you suffer exhaustion at
least once so you know your limit. Upping a gear every twenty minutes
(starting with 60") and taking it to maximum will get you were you
need to be. Stricly speaking, your gear progression should be spread
over the time expected for your race.

Old February 18th 12, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 17, 10:18*pm, thirty-six wrote:

Yep, you should be going hard enough that you suffer exhaustion at
least once so you know your limit. *Upping a gear every twenty minutes
(starting with 60") and taking it to maximum will get you were you
need to be. *Stricly speaking, your gear progression should be spread
over the time expected for your race.- Hide quoted text -

In my case, I wore a heart rate monitor and rode out to a local 12%
hill, just two miles away. I pinned my heart rate at 175bpm (220 minus
my age gave 167) and held it there for around 5 - 10 minutes. I
repeated this another four times and then did it every other day. It
got me a Top 5 place and a prize of £50 in '09.

--
Simon Mason
Old February 18th 12, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Feb 18, 9:59*am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Feb 17, 10:18*pm, thirty-six wrote:

Yep, you should be going hard enough that you suffer exhaustion at
least once so you know your limit. *Upping a gear every twenty minutes
(starting with 60") and taking it to maximum will get you were you
need to be. *Stricly speaking, your gear progression should be spread
over the time expected for your race.- Hide quoted text -

In my case, I wore a heart rate monitor and rode out to a local 12%
hill, just two miles away. I pinned my heart rate at 175bpm (220 minus
my age gave 167) and held it there for around 5 - 10 minutes. I
repeated this another four times and then did it every other day. It
got me a Top 5 place and a prize of £50 in '09.

--
Simon Mason

If your legs didn't buckle getting off the bike you weren't at
exhaustion. Of course studies have now come to my attention which
show that could likely be to sodium or magnesium depletion. You could
take that with a pinch of salt. ;-)