The bicycle can save the economy

Old February 22nd 12, 05:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Charmin

Default The bicycle can save the economy

On Feb 20, 5:35*pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" wrote:
I just went out on an adventure (it's always an adventure to ride a
bike) and I saw of a number of businesses that went under: IHOP,
Office Depot, Radio Shack, etc. I wonder if the money that people use
to gas their car, and many other expenses that go with the car, are
starving the economy. Even if they are unemployed they must hang on to
their car in case they find another job, so all other business suffer
and the city becomes a ghost town.

I finished my adventure --if only to be out-- at Target, a store that
always feels good. We found last night an amazing Huffy with rack and
basket --beautiful to boot-- for a mere 120 bucks. Oh, if only people
took advantage of such wisdom and went the simple way. There were
perhaps 300 hundred cars at Target and a handful of bikes --5 at most.
My "gassing up" takes a loaf of bread, some juicy drink --different
every time-- and whatever else grabs my attention in the new food
section at Target. "Cheap gas" if you will.

When I go with my girlfriend though things are different and we
usually sit down at a restaurant to enjoy a well earned meal. The
problem is that we drive some 30 miles to get to the launching place
and then we ride perhaps 10 or 15 miles. We have tried the same route
I did today alone and we have come under attack. A little hurdle in
the outing today: I was riding the sidewalk and this car was blocking
the driveway --it happens all the time-- but I couldn't see anything
through the tinted windows. He or she wouldn't move forward or
backward. I got off the bike, becoming in effect a pedestrian and
walking toward the car. The car finally budged and went into reverse.
I rode the road that I call the "causeway to hell" with no particular
incidents.

I think it's this S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E that keeps people driving and money
going to feed Big Oil, the people of Detroit and Japan, and who knows
who. It ain't going to feed the neighborhood restaurant.

But this is only my humble opinion.

Well, you pretty much single-handedly screwed this newsgroup