What I learned this afternoon

Old August 29th 05, 01:26 AM
Dave Vandervies

Default What I learned this afternoon

Random stuff I learned this afternoon. Comments/agreement/disagreement
welcome (why else would I be posting it?).

*Doubling my normal distance (and then some), combined with forgetting how
long I've actually been on the bike, is a great way to get sore muscles.
(Fortunately it seems to have been a temporary thing.)

*Dishes don't wash themselves, no matter how nice the weather is outside.

*I can still (or perhaps again) spend 2 hours on a bike and stop because
I've gotten to where I'm going and not because I'm worn out, which I
haven't done since I got lazy and out of shape after doing it a few
times in high school.
(Getting back on the bike after taking the bus halfway home was a
killer, though.)

*I need to find a way to carry more liquid with me, and also find some
snacks that are appetizing and high in simple carbs and that won't
melt in the heat. Or maybe just stick with riding at night.
(Tip I heard in a discussion of motorcycling that probably applies
to biking as well: Carry two (or more) water bottles. Make one
(or more) readily available, drink often, refill when possible.
Make one hard to get at and save it for emergencies.)

*It's possible to pay three different prices for identical bottles
of gatorade within an hour of each other. Worst prices are at gas
station chains near major highways (no surprise there). Best prices
are at small independent variety stores (this seems unintuitive to me;
I'd've expected medium-size small-chain stores to have lower overhead).

*I need to get pants or shorts with waterproof cargo pockets, that I
can comfortably wear on the bike[1], to put my map+phone+wallet+keys
in on long rides. (Short rides I either have my messenger bag +
cargo pants with me or can leave everything but the keys at home, so
no problems there.) Or maybe a purse would work - something smaller
and lighter than a messenger bag but that can be worn the same way
and is big enough to carry the stuff I need with me when I'm out for
a ride and not going somewhere.
(Hmm, I wonder what kind of reaction I'd get going into a store and
asking for a purse that I can take with me on long bike rides.)

dave

[1] I don't actually have bike shorts; I find that the generic athletic
pants that I bought before I heard of bike shorts work well enough,
and I assume that adding pockets that will keep stuff dry while I'm
working up a sweat won't change that.

--
Dave Vandervies
Try not to guess at answers. It usually bites you. I speak from
Old August 29th 05, 01:47 AM
Roger Zoul

:
: *Doubling my normal distance (and then some), combined with
: forgetting how long I've actually been on the bike, is a great way
: to get sore muscles. (Fortunately it seems to have been a temporary
: thing.)

Mostly so, once you get your miles up enough.

: *I need to find a way to carry more liquid with me, and also find
: some snacks that are appetizing and high in simple carbs and that
: won't melt in the heat.

Clif bars don't melt...but you need to find the ones you like best first,
assuming you like them at all. Powergels don't melt, either.

About liquid...carry powdered gatoraid...then just find water.

Or maybe just stick with riding at night.
: (Tip I heard in a discussion of motorcycling that probably applies
: to biking as well: Carry two (or more) water bottles. Make one
: (or more) readily available, drink often, refill when possible.
: Make one hard to get at and save it for emergencies.)

Why carry more than two water bottles? Plan your route to pass stores and
firestations...

:
[...]

I have a bag that goes on my top tube. i put my cell phone in there, my
garage door opener, some paper towels, a couple of clif bars, a few
powergels, some powdered gatoraid, and some glucose tablets in there, also
with ID. All of those go in snack sized zip-locks in case of rain. That's
in additon to my under-the-seat bag. Of course, I have a jersey that has
three pockets, but I haven't been using those as I figure that would make me
uncomfortable.

: (Hmm, I wonder what kind of reaction I'd get going into a store
: and asking for a purse that I can take with me on long bike
: rides.)
:
:
:
: dave
:
:
: [1] I don't actually have bike shorts; I find that the generic
: athletic pants that I bought before I heard of bike shorts work
: well enough, and I assume that adding pockets that will keep
: stuff dry while I'm working up a sweat won't change that.

You can get those baggy shorts that mountain bikers wear. Some of them have
pockets.

Old August 29th 05, 02:06 AM
pam_in_sc

Dave Vandervies wrote:

*I need to find a way to carry more liquid with me, and also find some
snacks that are appetizing and high in simple carbs and that won't
melt in the heat. Or maybe just stick with riding at night.

Whatever chips you prefer--corn and potatoes are fast carbs and you get
salt too, if your stomach doesn't protest the fat.

Dates--hit the bloodstream faster than straight glucose, according to
glycemic index research. Fig newtons are a cheap alternative to energy
bars.

A banana, at least before you start if you don't have a way to carry one.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich cut into strips. This is my favorite
when I am pushing myself, but my body burns fat well.

Pam

Old August 29th 05, 02:33 AM
Reid Priedhorsky

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 00:26:01 +0000, Dave Vandervies wrote:

*I need to find a way to carry more liquid with me, and also find some
snacks that are appetizing and high in simple carbs and that won't
melt in the heat. Or maybe just stick with riding at night.

Consider a rack and trunk bag. I carry 2 extra quarts of water, plus some
tools, plus snacks and lunch if necessary. Map, phone, etc. go in here too.

*Dishes don't wash themselves, no matter how nice the weather is outside.

Ah. See, the trick is to buy cheap dishes at a thrift store and unflavored
gelatin in bulk. Then, when the sink is full of dirty dishes, simply fill
it with water and add gelatin. Put in a big pot lid with the handle
sticking out of the water. Wait overnight; then, in the morning when the
gelatin has solidified, lift the whole mass out and bury it in the back
yard.

Reid
Old August 29th 05, 03:09 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Dave Vandervies" wrote: (clip) (Hmm, I wonder what kind of reaction I'd
get going into a store and asking for a purse that I can take with me on
long bike rides.)(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"It's not a purse! It's European!"

Old August 29th 05, 03:16 AM
Leo Lichtman

"pam_in_sc" wrote: (clip) Fig newtons are a cheap alternative to energy
bars. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
According to a display booth at the California State Fair, (put there by the
fig lobby), figs rival or surpass bananas for nutrition and energy.
According to my own tests, fig newtons survive a rough ride on a bike much
better than bananas. Fig newtons are also easier to eat a little at a time
on a long ride. I am not connected to the fig industry in any way--just a
satisfied consumer.

Old August 29th 05, 03:48 AM
Andy Gee

(Dave Vandervies) wrote in
:

Random stuff I learned this afternoon.
Comments/agreement/disagreement welcome (why else would I be posting
it?).

*I need to find a way to carry more liquid with me, and also find some
snacks that are appetizing and high in simple carbs and that won't
melt in the heat. Or maybe just stick with riding at night.
(Tip I heard in a discussion of motorcycling that probably applies
to biking as well: Carry two (or more) water bottles. Make one
(or more) readily available, drink often, refill when possible.
Make one hard to get at and save it for emergencies.)

I carry a bunch of apples in my pack, Now matter how hot it gets,
somehow they're always cool when you bite into them. They're mostly
water and have plenty of simple carbs.

*I need to get pants or shorts with waterproof cargo pockets, that I
can comfortably wear on the bike[1], to put my map+phone+wallet+keys
in on long rides. (Short rides I either have my messenger bag +
cargo pants with me or can leave everything but the keys at home, so
no problems there.) Or maybe a purse would work - something smaller
and lighter than a messenger bag but that can be worn the same way
and is big enough to carry the stuff I need with me when I'm out for
a ride and not going somewhere.
(Hmm, I wonder what kind of reaction I'd get going into a store
and asking for a purse that I can take with me on long bike
rides.)

My wife got me cargo pants from Lands End that are water resistant and
light weight. Everything stays dry in the pockets. Everything else
about the pants sucks, though, from the dorky belt to the actual pocket
design.

--ag

Old August 29th 05, 04:21 AM
Buck

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"pam_in_sc" wrote: (clip) Fig newtons are a cheap alternative to energy
bars. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
According to a display booth at the California State Fair, (put there by the
fig lobby), figs rival or surpass bananas for nutrition and energy.
According to my own tests, fig newtons survive a rough ride on a bike much
better than bananas. Fig newtons are also easier to eat a little at a time
on a long ride. I am not connected to the fig industry in any way--just a
satisfied consumer.

I was a big fig Newton fan until I took a baggie of them on a century.
I discovered they make me nauseous when I eat them on a big ride. I
fell back on the salty pretzels that were also along for the ride.

-Buck

Old August 29th 05, 04:59 AM
greggery peccary

"Dave Vandervies" wrote in message

*I need to find a way to carry more liquid with me,

i just started using a camelback water pouch. i was resistant to them for a
long time, but after hiking with a friend who never stopped to drink (and i
couldnt keep up) i got one and now like it a lot. i just bought the bladder
and velcroed a sleeve into my pack & run the tube out the top.
now im just wondering how to clean it...