Will the Global Plunge make people plunge into bikes?

Old October 7th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Will the Global Plunge make people plunge into bikes?

Gee, I just read the headlines today (I never bother to read the
rest): "Global Plunge of Markets!" The upper crust of the capitalistic
food chain must be real worried. When they are out of work, they won't
be able to burn that much oil. But will that make them smart enough to
switch the SUV for the bicycle, and the motorboat for the kayak? Or
they'll just cling to the old junk for sentimental reasons? "Oh, I
used to be a lion in the old times, but now I'm a survivor monkey!"

We know however that the monkeys can survive on peanuts and banana.
They can even be happy and multiply --provided they keep their toys.
Vegetarians with bikes and kayaks live longer.

We are ready for the plunge!

(view poll here)
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=474232

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?
(reason #102: because bananas pacify the lion!)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old October 7th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Graculus

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
I just read the headlines today (I never bother to read the
rest)

Given such a statement, is there any good reason why we should read any
further, either? It's hardly likely to be informed comment.

Old October 7th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 7, 4:12*pm, "Graculus"
wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

*I just read the headlines today (I never bother to read the
rest)

Given such a statement, is there any good reason why we should read any
further, either? It's hardly likely to be informed comment.

If I read the paper, I wouldn't have time for the Internet.

Besides, they tell you a slanted view of the world. We are still
looking for the WMDs they told us we would find in Iraq.
Old October 8th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

(I hate the paper but I love the Internet. I can dig my own
information without wasting time. I know this crisis is good for bikes
for example...)

This article makes a funny comment about the need for credit as a
result of the financial crisis...

Without it "we'd all ride bicycles"...

So who needs all this credit? For one it goes to feed the hungry lion.
And he's been real greedy lately.

'Credit keeps the economy moving, Godby said.

''The way I usually put it is credit in the economy is like oxygen,
and right now, the oxygen has been cut off, so we're kind of being
forced to hold our breath.

''But eventually we're going to have to start gasping if we don't get
some oxygen, and then eventually we'll suffocate, and that will be the
economy slowing down.''

Godby compared businesses to people in this respect.

''Imagine if you or I had to buy everything with money we've saved,''
he said. ''We probably all would live in crummy apartments and we'd
all ride bicycles.'

http://cbs4denver.com/coloradowire/2...wn-Wyoming.xml
Old October 8th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default look on the bright side of it

Originally Posted by Allister
"Better stock up on spare parts, too. When the oil runs out and the
economy collapses, it's gonna be hard to get them."

We can go to the junk yards and dig 'em out. Besides there are plenty
of bikes in America to salvage parts for another century.

I don't know, I just want to look on the bright side of it.
Old October 8th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 7, 10:53*pm, John Mayson wrote:

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, KingOfTheApes wrote:
This article makes a funny comment about the need for credit as a
result of the financial crisis...

Without it "we'd all ride bicycles"...

What's the downside? *:-)

No, there's no downside other than for those at the top...

http://libcom.org/files/images/iww-c...-pyramid_0.jpg

I found this more updated version though...

http://www.sott.net/image/image/1047...pyramidnt1.jpg
Old October 8th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On Oct 7, 1:53*pm, ComandanteBanana wrote:
[...]

I know you're on the payroll of Big Oil to try to get people to not
use bike and to use more cars, but finally you're getting that point
through precisely and you should be commented for it.

It's blatantly obvious from your remarks and the world, that a world
without cars/trucks is a world unlike any world you've seen. A world
of soley bikes is a world that quickly deteriorates into a world with
no bikes. A bicycle-based economy is unsubstainable. Without cars
and trucks and oil you cannot mine the ores you need for metals. You
cannot power the factories. You cannot deliver the food you need.
You cannot keep society going. The best you could imagine is a dirt-
poor, third world country.

The good news is, of course, that we will NEVER run out of oil.
NEVER. It's impossible.

We will also NEVER run out of fuel. If oil is too expensive, we'll
switch to bio-fuel or coal or something else.

Ever wonder why there are still whales swimming around? Because whale
oil got too expensive and kerosene replaced it. Kerosene was replaced
by fuel oil and diesel. Fuel oil was replaced in may areas by Natural
Gas. It goes on and on. Your insistence on oil, oil, oil comes from
two places. First, your employer and second your inability to grasp
technological change.

The ONLY good part of a bicyle-based economy would the that I wouldn't
have to see your OT posts. There would be no internet. Also, when a
SUV ran you over, you'd die before you got to the hospital.
Old October 8th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 8, 12:41*pm, Pat wrote:

I know you're on the payroll of Big Oil to try to get people to not
use bike and to use more cars, but finally you're getting that point
through precisely and you should be commented for it.

With tha IQ of yours you must be voting for McCain, right? He's for
drilling and if drilling doesn't cut, then he'll invade Venezuela or
something, right?

Anyway, the subject is NOT oil, but how the lack of credit will keep
you from buying Supersized Unnecessary Vehicles and other aberrations.

By the way, do you, as a city planner who lives in the boondocks,
finally figured out that city planning takes sidewalks? They are
conspicuously absent from the American suburbia, right?

It's blatantly obvious from your remarks and the world, that a world
without cars/trucks is a world unlike any world you've seen. *A world
of soley bikes is a world that quickly deteriorates into a world with
no bikes. *A bicycle-based economy is unsubstainable. *Without cars
and trucks and oil you cannot mine the ores you need for metals. *You
cannot power the factories. *You cannot deliver the food you need.
You cannot keep society going. *The best you could imagine is a dirt-
poor, third world country.

Maybe we can save 50% by junking all the SUVs and destined that to
real world solutions?

The good news is, of course, that we will NEVER run out of oil.
NEVER. *It's impossible.

You should watch documentaries (I've got the name somewhere) on the
subject. They give the year 2017 or so, and people fighting over a
gallon of oil and never occurring to them to ride a bike... That must
be you.

We will also NEVER run out of fuel. *If oil is too expensive, we'll
switch to bio-fuel or coal or something else.

Again, bikes are under your radar. Maybe your cars will run on BS.
Manure has a high potential.

Ever wonder why there are still whales swimming around? *Because whale
oil got too expensive and kerosene replaced it. *Kerosene was replaced
by fuel oil and diesel. *Fuel oil was replaced in may areas by Natural
Gas. *It goes on and on. *Your insistence on oil, oil, oil comes from
two places. *First, your employer and second your inability to grasp
technological change.

My employer? Yeah they pay me to fight stupidity. But that I could for
free.

The ONLY good part of a bicyle-based economy would the that I wouldn't
have to see your OT posts. *There would be no internet. *Also, when a
SUV ran you over, you'd die before you got to the hospital.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe there will be no SUV to run me over, and then the ambulance will
run on manure.

Old October 9th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
On Oct 7, 10:53 pm, John Mayson wrote:

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, KingOfTheApes wrote:
This article makes a funny comment about the need for credit as a
result of the financial crisis...

Without it "we'd all ride bicycles"...

What's the downside? :-)

No, there's no downside other than for those at the top...

You are at the very bottom of society. No money, no power, no voice, just
wanting to return to the past and far too low an intelligence to understand
what is going on in the world.

Old October 9th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jack May

"Pat" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting, good analysis.